apple repair is screwing me over!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by QCassidy352, Mar 3, 2006.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

So yesterday I sent in my ibook to get fixed because the backlighting is uneven.

Today I get a voicemail from a tech:
    "your screen is cracked and it's not covered... it will cost ~$800 to repair."

I call the regular applecare number, but they can't put me in touch with the guy who actually called me. So now the customer service person I spoke to has requested pictures (apparently the repair facility is in a different place than the call center) from the tech so he can see the problem for himself... he was supposed to call back today but never did, and now it's the weekend. :(

But that LCD was NOT cracked when I mailed the ibook! I'm so upset right now... :( :mad:

2. designed macrumors 6502

designed

Ouch :( I just returned my intelMac because the screen had some ghost imagery when waking up from screen saver mode and I sure do hope it goes smoother than that one...

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Be calm for now.
    Apple Care has always taken care of me, but that's me.
    What I suggest is use the "honey" tone, be understanding, and if it looks like they are going screw you, then turn on the fire. (You can't go the other way.)

Remind them that you couldn't have gone though the telephone support trouble shooting techniques if the screen was broken before you sent it to them.

Yes the call center and the repair centers are in different places. From my experience it has been Texas for portables, but I live in CA. I think that the call center was in Washington, not California.

Always ask for names, and extensions, though they will say that it doesn’t help, get them anyway. Also, if they connect you to a different department, ask the direct 800 number for that department incase you get dissconnected. Remind them that you are lacking confidence in their ability to call you back.

Document what happens with times and names, and what transpired.

1-800-275-2273, when you dial Apple's help phone number, keep pressing 0 (I think 3 times) until you get an operator. It won't work afterhours.

The iBook line is disappearing very soon, as they have dropped their Feedback section for iBooks from Apple's website. Send your complaint Here, but state that it should be directed elsewhere. Apple has contacted me after I sent them feedback, so I know they do listen.

Good luck!

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about your problem with Apple repair and your iBook. :(

I would advise following Eniregnat's advice and hopefully everything will work out okay in the end. :)

5. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks all, and especially eniregnat. That's good advice. At the very least this is going to cost me several days with my ibook because I doubt they'll even get back to me over the weekend, but hopefully all will be ok in the end. I'll post back here and let you know what they say...

6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

update:
    all is well... mostly.

The screen was not "cracked;" it apparently had micro-cracks behind the LCD that were causing the bright spots. Apple replaced the screen under warranty, and now it looks great. :D

However, there are 2 strange results of this repair. First, a few of my keys, most notably the "e" key, now make a clicking noise when used, considerably louder than they used to make/than is normal. Don't know how apple managed that, but hopefully it'll go away.

Second, and much more strangely, apple seems to have replaced my battery despite the fact that 1) I never asked them to, and 2) there was a piece of paper included with my returned ibook explictly saying that they would *not* replace my battery because it was within spec.

I had no complaint about my battery... but they definitely changed it. The new one is a better physical fit with the ibook (lies perfectly flush against the casing) and also seems to have a higher capacity. I think the old one was rated at a max original charge of 4400 mAH according to coconut battery, and had 97% left (4318 or something). The new one has a max charge of 4700 and currently has 98% left (4624). My old battery had gon through nearly 100 cycles when I sent it in; this one has gone through six. On the downside, the indicator lights on this battery do not light up when I press the external button. Overall, not a bad trade.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? Why would apple change my battery when I didn't even mention it? And do I really have a higher capacity battery now? And what's up with the clicking keys? :confused: Mostly I'm just glad to have it back with the bright spots fixed though! Thanks!

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I would send them an email thanking them or call. If you call Apple Support, when you get a tech, just say something like, "I am call to thank you about my iBook problem #n....xyz. You replaced my battery with a better one, but the lights on the back don't work, is it safe to have the LEDs not work?" They will tell you if it is normal or not, or if it is dangerous, or if it is covered. I'd also keep an eye on the keyboard ,and let them know if it starts to fail. Perhaps reseating the keys (they will talk you though it) may help.

I sent an iBook in for problems and they fixed a bunch of stuff that I didn't ask them to fix, including the LCD. I have never had a battery replaced, but perhaps they thought it was giving off to much heat, or was likely to go bad. I am glad to see it worked out well for you.

Get a good sleeve for your iBook, perhaps a hard sleeve like the Axio Hardsleeve

8. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Wow. I wish my iBook screen would go bad. I need a new battery.
    Im just too cheap to buy one. ;)

9. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hahaha!

So this is weird... the new battery LEDs do light up when the battery is charging, but not at other times. So the lights do work... but they just won't indicate the current charge level. Maybe it's the button that's broken... I doubt it's anything to worry about, but I may call apple tomorrow just to be sure.

edit: I tried taking off the "e" key and putting it back on, but the sound persists. It's only mildly annoying, but I'd like to fix it, if possible. Any suggestions? The sound is like a loud click, as if there were a piece of sand that were being tapped against the plastic under the key or something.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Try re-seating the keyboard? Well, that is if it's still removable.

11. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I thought they were supposed to do this.... and there is a button that makes them light up.

Check to see if the keyboard bed is lieing flat.