Apple repair woes.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zal91, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Zal91 macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007
    Windex magically found its way into my fairly new MacBook through the keyboard.(Don't ask). Some of the keys stopped working and the DVD drive ejects poorly,(It still reads/writes DVDs).

I sent it in for repair to Apple, they called and said my warranty was known in void for accidental damage. I was like okay, then he said it would cost $774 for it to be replaced. WTF?! Apple said the DVD drive, keyboard and the Logic board had to be replaced.

I understand everything except for the logic board, the laptop works fine apart from the keyboard/DVD drive.

Since I am fairly skilled with electronics and my warranty is already voided I am contemplating fixing it myself, I can pick up a whole new top case for $80 and I am sure I can find a dvd drive for under $200.

I need your thoughts/opinions and some links to some good compatible DVD drives.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Sounds like you found out that ammonia can be a rather harsh chemical sovent where electronics are concerned.

If enough found its way down to the DVD, the logic board could very well show some signs of contamination -- and it likely is easier for them to replace the logic board than see the machine come back in.

Either buy a new machine, or suck up Apple's repair bill -- if they are giving you a tiered service, likely everything bad is being replaced, and hopefully they reinstate the warranty.
  3. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Hopefully you will learn not to baby your machine so much next time.

Windex on a fragile piece of electronics? What are you thinking! Even the manual says not to use anything containing ammonia on these babies :(
  4. Zal91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007
    Well I have learned my mistake. I just don't have the money, I worked my butt off for this machine, I am but a poor high school student to young to get a job.
  5. Zal91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007
    I am wondering if a Pioneer DVR-K05 8x DVD±R/RW 4x DL CDRW Slot SuperDrive will work in my Macbook.