Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac3973

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I mailed my Macbook Air to Apple on Friday after I accidentally cracked the screen. They billed me for $755 for the Tier 4 flat rate repair cost.

I received the computer back today, and the invoice says that they replaced the clamshell and also replaced my logic board due to an "Audio Issue". I had no problems with the Audio on it before mailing it in with either the speakers or the jack.

I called them, and they couldn't give me any further details. Fortunately I have a time machine backup from before I mailed it in.

Any ideas as to what would have caused the logic board to fail their testing? Damage while in transit to them? ( I feel like that this is not very likely as they make you take so many precautions before mailing it to them in the pre made box with all the padding and what not.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Perhaps they damaged it during repair. Would explain why they didnot swap the SSD which would have been a 10 second change given the logic board wil exposed.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
After the screen repair, I'm sure they did a full hardware diagnostic test. That test may have revealed some problems that you didn't even know you had. I bet they found something, and replaced the logic board since they had the computer in the shop anyway.

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
755$ for the screen repair? Which model did you have?

I bet you could sell all the other parts and get a new model for less money.

mac3973

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
755$ for the screen repair? Which model did you have?

I bet you could sell all the other parts and get a new model for less money.

If you crack the screen on an air, the entire top half (clamshell according to the invoice) of the product has to be replaced.

I have accidental computer insurance through my renters insurance. They paid for everything but a $250 deductible.

Its the 2011 13inch base model.

Rasan

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
I paid 600€ for the replacing of my cracked screen, so 600 $ doesn't sound that unlikely. But usually everything is cheaper in the US than here in europe.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Ive had laptops for years without a scratch. So how do you wreck a screen on a new computer?

mac3973

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Ive had laptops for years without a scratch. So how do you wreck a screen on a new computer?

I got out of bed and left it on top of the comforter on my side of the bed to use the restroom. While I was in there, my girlfriend got in bed on her side, pulled the comforter closer to her, and it fell off the side of the bed.

Accidents happen, thats why I decided to get a computer endorsement on my renters policy for a $1300 mac.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
OP- Whenever I send something in to Apple they always replace other problems they find.

..I have accidental computer insurance through my renters insurance. They paid for everything but a $250 deductible....

That's pretty good. I should make sure my renter's/home owners insurance has that.

I once had a broken screen on a MBP back in '07 or '08 and I found another company that fixed screens for I think $300 or $400 dollars with my student discount.

I might get flamed on this, but another time I got a broken screen coincidentally AFTER I had scheduled to send in my MBP for repair to AppleCare. I sent it in anyways and got the e-mail with the pics of my broken screen a day or two after. I called and talked to someone and worked my way up the chain. It was a long bout but they replaced my screen for free. It was an hour long phone call. They had countered with covering half the repair charge of I think $700 or so but then said they would just cover the whole thing.

That's a silly question. Accidents happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.