Apple replaced Wife's iBook G3 with G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KershMan, Mar 27, 2004.

1. KershMan macrumors 6502

My wife had a 12.1", iBook G3 800Mhz. We bought it in November 2003. It has had four logic board replacements and has burned up 3 batteries. Last week on the third battery, I asked Apple about a replacement and they agreed.

They gave me an RMA, I sent the G3 iBook back, and yesterday we received the new one. They shipped:

iBook G4, 800Mhz, 256MB RAM, 30 GB Hard drive.

Today when I called they even transferred the remaining AppleCare from her first computer to this one. So it is covered until November 2005.

Thanks Apple!!!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

after all the trouble you probably had its well deserved

3. nargot macrumors regular

4. KershMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. I had been waiting for a few months for this to finally go through. The last logic that was replaced in December was almost the final straw for me. The AppleCare technician at the time mentioned I was on the verge of replacement and one more major problem would require them to escalate my case.

And low and behold, the battery goes again. This batter was about 2 months old and just went out. The problem I would have is the iBook would quit recognizing the battery. I would have an X through the battery icon.

The logic board replacements were part of the classic iBook problem. We would have a combination of track pad freezes and video artifacts on the screen, then a black screen (no video).

So, all and all, I am very happy to have this behind us. Apple was very good with each repair (quick turn around) and they lived up to their by replacing the unit.

For all those who might not have it, buy AppleCare. It is well worth it.

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

good to hear it ended happy. you will really see a big boost in iapps with the G4's altivec. itunes will rip many times faster. osx is nice and snappy on a G4 also.

6. KershMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, my wife is very pleased. She had 640 MB RAM in the G3 iBook and it was still slow. Now, with the stock 256 MB, she is very pleased. She can't believe how much faster it is. It is right on par with my PowerBook.

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Not as dramatic but when I got my g3 about 5 years ago one of the USB ports on the keyboard was broke. So I called Apple, they had my try a couple troubleshooting steps (that I'd done, but I obliged) and then they sent me a new one. They didn't even ask for the old one back, which could still type just fine. Apple is great that way.