Apple Replacement CDs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I screwed up and somehow managed to crack my FinalCutPro3 CD and needed to reinstall it on my old machine that I've upgraded. So I called Apple about a replacement CD and even with all the documentation and Apple's own records showing I purchased the thing through them, they want me to shell out $80 for a replacement CD?!?!?!

I don't know if I can push this through work and get them to pay for it, I might. But I was floored to hear from the Apple Rep what I'd have to pay.

Anyone else ever had any experience with this?

Really a pain in the ass if you ask me.

D

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There are a bunch of pissed of editors that have FCP 1 or 2 and upgraded the rest of the way. Well, long of the short of it is current updates/upgrades require an original FCP 3 CD for varification. These guys obviously don't have the FCP 3 disc since they upgraded from 1 or 2. Apple is charging them $80 to for an FCP 3 disc. All they want is to be able to have the most current upgrade and they are getting hosed. There are a bunch of people ridding Apple's @ss 'bout this but I'm not sure how that fight is going right now.

Lethal

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That sucks...remind me to NEVER damage my FCP3 CDs at work. :p

4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I thought you could duplicate your FCP CD as a backup measure...

Apple give you the impression that you can make up ONE copy as a safety, and work from that. Myself and my workmates all bought FCP3, and promptly backed up our CD, putting the originals away in a safe place.

So, if anything happened to the disk, we'd still at least be able to edit our projects.

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're assuming I'm as smart as you ;)

I've been going through my whole collection of app cds and backing them up since this happened. It won't happen again, that's for sure.

D

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you tried using the back-up CDs? For some reason I remember back-ups not working if the updater (or whatever) asks for the FCP dics.

Lethal

7. GigaWire macrumors 6502

8. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I don't know what you're doing that the backups aren't working - mine works fine. I used Toast Titanium 5.1.3, and it went without a glitch.

I have, however, heard that there's a clever piece of copy protection software written into the installer that only enables a duplicate to be made from the MASTER disk, and not from any disks already copied. Cunning...

;)

9. GigaWire macrumors 6502

i made a back up form a master through toast and was no go on updating, how did you make your back up. i just used disc copy, but would like to know your method, as it would allow me to take my FCP CD out of my safe :)

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

that really sucks, someone stole my windows xp disc at work (once again the theif that stole the other stuff which is now fired) and i called microsoft and they sent me a brand new one for like 30 dollars with a new serial number and everything. only thing i had to have was a code on the box to prove i bought it.

iJon

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I lost my InDesign cd about a week ago and need to reinstall it... which sucks and led me to call Adobe. $25.00 + $4.95 for shipping. $14.95 if I wanted it overnight.

12. wayne091189 macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about your problem with the CD.

As for Apple asking you to pay that mush for a backup CD it's just a rip off.

It does not cost that mush to send out a replacement CD, I could understand if they wanted you to pay £15 20 pounds for posting and packaging, but come on £80.00 for a replacement CD you have all ready paid for.

THAT IS A f#cking joke.

This just reminds me of microsoft. very sad.

PS: Please dont say TROLL you sad c#nts

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

read my post above, this is completly opposite of my microsoft with my experiences.

iJon