Apple Replacing and Investigating New iPads with Wi-Fi Problems

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An internal AppleCare document published by 9to5Mac reveals that Apple is currently investigating complaints about poor Wi-Fi performance in some new iPad models.
    This policy seems limited to Wi-Fi models and not to the LTE models. Affected customers will reportedly get their iPad replaced and their unit sent to Apple hardware engineers for further investigation.

User reports of weak Wi-Fi signals began shortly after the new iPad's launch.

Article Link: Apple Replacing and Investigating New iPads with Wi-Fi Problems

2. macrumors regular

ajcadoo

Just another reason to hold off waiting "The Brand New Anything" until the real reviews come out: consumer complaints.

3. macrumors newbie

And they are secretly fixing the minor "heat" issue :D

4. Macman45, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

macrumors G5

Macman45

My three is actually faster and holds it's connection to my 5GHZ network better than my 1 or 2 did. One day I'll get the lemon of all Apple lemons..(Sorry about all the fruit analogies) but to date, Everything I have purchased from them has been A!....:)

5. macrumors 65816

I've noticed really slow wifi on an iPad1 since the software update on March 7th.

My guess is the issue is in the iOS version 5.1, not the hardware of the new iPad.

6. macrumors newbie

Well, a true mac fan will never know that you do not buy an apple product on launch day because of the issues that come with it. And some of them cannot be fixed with software updates. Or maybe psychology wise we shouldn't hear about them at all :>

7. macrumors regular

Mine was sort of doing this. On my couch downstairs it would only see my Wireless G network yet I have a Wireless N that is actually closer (both upstairs). My laptop and phone see both and shows the N as being stronger. I also couldn't really surf from there while holding it, I had to click something then lay it down on my lap and the signal would increase, like you'd see with smartphones (that whole antennagate thing). Luckily I don't use it down there much.

8. macrumors 68000

Every version of the iPad has had worse wifi reception than a typical computer. It's a low power mobile wifi chip, and it's surrounded on 3 sides by signal-blocking aluminum.

9. macrumors P6

Peace

This will go from a few people to millions in 2 weeks.

:rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

How is this news? Apple does these captures on literally *every* new product, even updated Macs. It's called an EFFA capture (Early Field Failure Analysis) and they do it so they can retool the assembly line to rev products if necessary for fixes (MacBook Pro's SATA ports last year being a perfect example).

I hate sensationalist reporting.

11. macrumors 65816

acidfast7

LOL

How about fixing LTE so it works with existing global networks*

*or Apple can continue to pay for false advertising, if it so wishes.

12. macrumors 6502a

revelated

I mean no disrespect. But the first thing that came to mind was:

"Then don't hold it like that.

Steve

Sent from my HoliPhone"

13. macrumors 6502a

People seem to have WiFi problems with all Apple devices, not just iPads

14. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I bet many would need different coloured iPad to make them work better on wifi.

15. macrumors regular

Not a single problem here though on the first gen iPad.

Ofcourse these things are sporadically.

It also seems that there's only a small amount of iPads with the problem, considering the customer satisfaction of a few days back, so it's good they are going to investigate the few problems, I think many manufacterers would just replace the product and not care what could've caused the loss.

16. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

People who are affected may want to know they can get it replaced.

17. macrumors newbie

Problems...

Another Apple product having reception problems ? I hope they fix these problems soon, I want to buy my "New" iPad in the next month. :apple:

18. macrumors 6502

19. macrumors regular

I had the same problem as that guy. Wifi chip was fried, wouldn't connect to anything. Returned it for a replacement which works fine.

Xcode console said wifi chip failure which is how I knew for definite it was broken.

Also after 3 attempts to connect it kernel panicked and rebooted.

20. macrumors regular

how would you go about checking this? I mean, is this just a "I think my iPad has trouble connecting to wifi..." feeling??

21. macrumors regular

This is gonna be another "your just nitpicking" debate from the fan boys!

22. macrumors Core

Dagless

23. SimonTheSoundMa, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

macrumors 6502a

This is why I do not contribute to these forums much. People spam and troll as bad as on youtube and icanhas.

My experience is to never buy new Apple products when they first launch, especially new products or when they have a major overhall. iMac G4 to G5 for example, first gen G5s had plenty of problems. First aluminium iMacs, first Mac Minis, first iPhone 4's. I tend to skip the first gen and wait for the second, sometimes mid-cycle first generations get revised by Apple, some components are changed or added.

I've been having problems since Lion update on OS X. My Two MacBook Pro and one MacBook just say "can't connect" at times, requiring me to reboot the Macs. Tried three routers. Every other device I have connects fine. For another thread.

24. macrumors G3

Kilamite

I think anyone who starts going on about a post Steve Jobs Apple being doomed for failure will be flamed. It's fine to report an issue with the new iPad and see who else is affected, but to start going on about post Steve Jobs Apple is just trolling/derailing their own post/topic.

25. macrumors 6502

A lot of people have high expectations, when those expectations are not fulfilled, people will be pissed and vent.
    The guy went through a substantial number of devices at much cost to himself due to transportation. All worthy of a raised middle finger in the general direction of Cupertino...
    I see MUCH more hateful comments made about employees of Apple's rivals for far less affronts to the person who posted. I know two wrongs don't make a right but if you aren't able to filter Internet Hyperbole and get past the dudes disappointment and see that their is an issue without being a complete dick, you got way bigger issues than the original OP and his opinion. I mean come on, attacking the dude's wife? They must be super bored or super lonely. That's all I can figure out. They need to go hug their Ipads and gently whisper sweet nothings into the mic.