Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
People seem to have WiFi problems with all Apple devices, not just iPads

Yep yep - I often have problems with a MacBook Pro I have at work. Nothing too severe, but it is annoying because it took awhile to figure that we didn't have to reconfigure the WiFi connection each time there was a problem....

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
how would you go about checking this? I mean, is this just a "I think my iPad has trouble connecting to wifi..." feeling??

Good point.

I'm experiencing spotty wifi, but not sure whether to put it down to my Plusnet Thompson router or the iPad. I just feel sometimes that it should be reacting faster to downloads and page surfing:confused: All other devices in my home seem to operate ok, e.g my MBP.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Having a problem with your two week old $500+ device? Here 's a used one to replace it.

I don't care that a factory refurb is like new. I buy them whenever I can to save money. But when I buy new, I expect to get new.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
They probably like to have a look at any new device with any type of issue. I wouldn't read too much into this.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
My new iPad third-gen is perfect

I once exchanged my iPad 2 that said "no wi-fi" after the update to iOS 5. Restoring it did not help.

The Apple Genius was great and had it swaped in 5 minutes.

My iPad three is perfect and I use it for intense gaming. :cool:

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I fixed my Wifi problems with a number of things. I restored and set up as anew iPad. Then when connecting to the Wifi I manually entered my credentials into the 'other' section instead of selecting the router from the list.

It's worked flawlessly since then so I've got no further complaints! :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
A lot of people have high expectations, when those expectations are not fulfilled, people will be pissed and vent.
The guy went through a substantial number of devices at much cost to himself due to transportation. All worthy of a raised middle finger in the general direction of Cupertino...
I see MUCH more hateful comments made about employees of Apple's rivals for far less affronts to the person who posted. I know two wrongs don't make a right but if you aren't able to filter Internet Hyperbole and get past the dudes disappointment and see that their is an issue without being a complete dick, you got way bigger issues than the original OP and his opinion. I mean come on, attacking the dude's wife? They must be super bored or super lonely. That's all I can figure out. They need to go hug their Ipads and gently whisper sweet nothings into the mic.

Haha, you didn't take in what I was saying at all. I didn't read his whole thread either - I was merely commenting on his first couple of posts where he goes on about a post Steve Jobs Apple and how that somehow is responsible for his iPad's bad WiFi. Because every product Apple released under Steve Jobs was perfect of course. And that Steve Jobs personally kissed each product before it reached the customers hands.

But you're right, I'm really annoyed that his post somehow got past my Internet Hyperbole filter. I better fix that right away.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
Haha, you didn't take in what I was saying at all. I didn't read his whole thread either - I was merely commenting on his first couple of posts where he goes on about a post Steve Jobs Apple and how that somehow is responsible for his iPad's bad WiFi. Because every product Apple released under Steve Jobs was perfect of course. And that Steve Jobs personally kissed each product before it reached the customers hands.

But you're right, I'm really annoyed that his post somehow got past my Internet Hyperbole filter. I better fix that right away.

Ah I hear you loud and clear, I just took that all for being ranting and some super extreme poetic license to fully engage in his online catharsis:D.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
First, let me say that I have not had any problem with my 2002 iMac (igloo model), the 2005 PowerBook G4, the iMac replacement 2008 Mac Pro, the 2011 MacBook Pro, or the new iPad.

However, the 2004 PowerBook G4 started having problems at 10 months that Apple put off by advising software resets until it was past its warranty period and would not boot. It was finally diagnosed as having failure of almost everything electronic on the left side of the PB when it was taken to a shop. Never was there a lightning strike that could have caused that, and no cause was ever given.

Did someone state that the Wi-Fi for the new iPad would be 802.11n only? Maybe that was before its release. Apple advertises it as Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n).

And Bluetooth 4? What makes the difference between BT 3 and BT 4? Is that in the hardware?

HauntSlider

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I actually had this issue with my iPad 2 about 4 months in. It would not see my home network or many of the others that my iMac and MBA would see.

Took it to the Apple store and of course, it worked perfect. Next morning, same problem so I shot a video of the issue with my iPhone 4 of the problem sitting right next to the Air and iMac. Put the video on the iPad and back to the Apple store I went.

Showed them the video and walked out with a new iPad 2.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Here I thought my "The New" iPad was just being wonky because it would drop network connection sitting next to my fiance on her iPad2 (surfing , 10 feet away from my Airport Extreme (which has been awesome).

Are there any specific messages that we should look for under the Diagnostic & Usage Data section? I want make sure it's the iPad hardware before taking it back to get checked out.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've got an LTE one and have had to reset the wireless network twice to get it to work properly. It's almost like the first iPad that I bought and had wireless issues with. It was eventually replaced and with the software update too, I've not had problems. The iPad 2 is rock solid.

----------

So far, the only products I've had issues with are the original iPad and this one. Everything else seems to work quite well. I don't mix brands though and have an all Airport Extreme network. In a world of 'standards', I've found that they are treated as guidelines by too many vendors.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Just another reason to hold off waiting "The Brand New Anything" until the real reviews come out: consumer complaints.

The problem with this thinking is that people complain about every device. It's hard to tell from reading reports on the internet how serious the problem really is. If you're really interested in a device you probably need to use it yourself.

Wifi networds are particularly tricky because they have seamingly random issues. E.g., suppose at any one time 1% of people are having issues with their wireless network. Intersect that with the number of people who just got a new iPad -- that can be a large group of people. But it's hard to tell which of those people are having wifi issues due to the iPad and which are having iPad issues to something unrelated (especially from reading random reports off the internet).

I'm not saying the new iPad has or doesn't have wifi issues. Just that you can't tell simply from reading internet forum threads.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
It's a shame that when people have real problems they get tagged as Apple haters. People want to believe that Apple can do wrong and that it's products are the gold standard but their no different from other companies.

A single missing word changes the whole meaning....reread before you post.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Good point.

I'm experiencing spotty wifi, but not sure whether to put it down to my Plusnet Thompson router or the iPad. I just feel sometimes that it should be reacting faster to downloads and page surfing:confused: All other devices in my home seem to operate ok, e.g my MBP.

Are you on a consistant network?

I checked the one that my wife has by doing the following:

(on a wifi network that you KNOW is stable and reliable, such as your home network):

1. To test constant connection, sit there and use the damn thing for 3 hours. Does it drop internet connection?

2. The article said something about reduced speeds. Do a speed test on your iPad. Is it similar to the one you do on your laptop or iPhone?

This IS another sensational article from who knows who that has nothing better to do than cause a minor "panic" in the enthusiast community. I would bet you two iPads that if this were a widespread problem there would have been 10 posts within the first 30 seconds on 3/16/12 when new iPads started rolling in. If people are *that* quick to complain that their made-of-metal device with some serious hardware gets luke-warm when you use it for hours on end, they surely would have posted 100x about their wifi connection dropping.

edwardmickey

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
My new iPad was getting very hot and wi-fi kept disconnecting, maybe every five minutes. Was a real pain. Took it to Genius Bar in UK but was fed excuses about how it was my router and Internet provider. Was advised to reset router and contact Sky. They refused to accept return in store since I'd ordered it on-line.
So I bought another new one there and then and returned faulty unit via carrier.
New iPad is faultless now. Haven't touched my router.
I was a bit disappointed with in store staff to be honest.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
My new iPad was getting very hot and wi-fi kept disconnecting, maybe every five minutes. Was a real pain. Took it to Genius Bar in UK but was fed excuses about how it was my router and Internet provider. Was advised to reset router and contact Sky. They refused to accept return in store since I'd ordered it on-line.
So I bought another new one there and then and returned faulty unit via carrier.
New iPad is faultless now. Haven't touched my router.
I was a bit disappointed with in store staff to be honest.

Did you buy it from an authorised Apple reseller online?

An Apple Store will replace or repair any device bought from an authorised reseller. If it is not, your contract is with the store where you bought it from.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
I've been having this issue! It's pissing me off. Glad I can get it replaced.

My original iPad had no such issues, sitting in the same chair in my living room.

Makanmata

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Interesting. I have an iPad 3 that cannot connect to wifi (or even find the network) in spots where my iPad 1 can. I had chalked it up to just being not as good at certain things (but certainly much better in others). Certainly, I can say that if the 3 is supposed to perform at least as well over wifi as the 1, there is some sort of defect in my unit. I guess I'll bring it in -- although I don't really like the idea of paying for new and winding up with a refurb.

By the way, the heat issue has not bothered me at all, and I am generally very happy with the 3. When the unit first came into our house, my family was slow to take to the new one, and the wife and kids were sort of indifferent between using the 1 and 3, but not surprisingly, over two weeks the benefits of the 3 have become very obvious, and the 3 is the greatly preferred unit by everybody. Aside from the wifi, the only point of less than complete satisfaction is over the battery life -- the 1 lasts so long that I don't need to worry about it, while the battery life of the 3 requires you to pay more attention to the level of charge, etc.

al0513

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
My iPad 3 32GB Wifi+ AT&T LTE has the same problem.... when wifi is turned on and connected, I get one bar, and usually thats when I'm at home sitting 3ft away from the wireless router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.