Apple Replacing Google Maps On iOS With Its Own Solution Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As previously rumored, Apple is replacing the default Google Maps service within its iOS operating system with its own mapping solution, according to the Wall Street Journal.

[​IMG]

Both 9to5Mac and All Things Digital had previously reported that Apple will be using an in-house mapping service in iOS 6 following its purchase of a number of mapping companies, including 3D mapping firm C3 Technologies last year.

Apple has clearly been working for some time to reduce its reliance on Google by developing its own mapping services for iOS, as evidenced by its acquisitions of mapping expertise and job postings addressing its ambitions for mapping. The company has already moved location services in-house and revealed last year that it is building a crowd-sourced traffic database based on users' GPS data.

Earlier this year it was noted that Apple wasn't using Google Maps in its iPhoto for iOS application, instead using OpenStreetMap and other services to generate map tiles.

Article Link: Apple Replacing Google Maps On iOS With Its Own Solution Later This Year

2. macrumors member

Don't see how Apple can think to beat Google who has been doing this very well for years already

3. macrumors demi-god

Ljohnson72

If true, I hope it works well because I don't think it's too good looking.

4. macrumors 6502

Finally! I'm really excited for this and all of iOS 6!

5. macrumors 65816

This is the one feature of iOS 6 everybody knows is coming.

6. macrumors regular

As long as it includes turn by turn directions I'll be happy!

7. macrumors 603

That's the "old fashioned" theme for iPhoto, the real maps app won't look like that.

8. dra
    macrumors member

finnaly NO to Google and their data selling system

9. macrumors newbie

They don't want to rely on Google's services anymore. It's not just so they can say they are better.

10. macrumors 65816

japanime

11. macrumors regular

If this finally means turn by turn navigation natively in ios6 I'm all for it.

12. macrumors regular

Lordskelic

Awesome! It seems like Google Maps on iOS isn't a good as the Android version, which makes sense as Google wants the better, more featured version on its platform. This is why I am glad that Apple is getting their own mapping solution.

13. macrumors member

Same! I'm glad we will have a change in the Maps app because it's been basically the same since launch of the original iPhone. I can't wait until iOS 6.

14. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Hopefully with some better map tiles than what I see in the story.

15. macrumors 65816

myrtlebee

I truly hope they retain a normal satellite view and PLEASE keep Street View somehow. It is incredibly useful and the whole "3D" gimmick that has been rumored for some time now seems pretty useless. I hope my pessimism is wrong.

16. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I hope to be blown away by iOS6 because so far the rumors don't sound all that inciting. Honestly, at this point I'm more excited about the new MacBook pros than an iOS maps refresh.

17. macrumors regular

I think theoretically the same could have been said about Google when they first debuted their Maps service as a contender to MapQuest. frankly, knowing the resources Apple have available (specifically for R&D purposes into their own mapping service), and the way that a majority of their products have completely trounced the competition (iPod/iPhone/iPad/etc.), I for one am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially if this new mapping service is more heavily integrated into iOS than the current Maps app.

18. macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple has also been doing this for years...in their R&D labs.

19. macrumors 68000

TMar

And along with it gos street view and all Google's data Apple can't hope to compete with. Sad really.

20. macrumors member

hathornb

Didn't we already know this? For some reason this just feels like old news...

21. macrumors regular

It is old news, except WSJ just feels like they need to get in on the rumor action by reposting rumors as their own.

22. macrumors 68000

TMar

It take more then sitting in a lab working on it. Apple isn't going to put the real world effort into Google has.

23. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Hopefully Google Maps appears in the App Store lol

24. macrumors 65816

hayduke

Please, please, please don't use the same *ugly* pins!!!

25. macrumors regular

We are probably seeing screenshots of very early builds or builds that the QA teams use to test their hardware. It's Apple, I think we can bet on the interface being well thought out and attractive.