Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zarkizon

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
I kind of like the aged look of the maps in iPhoto and the images on the article. I would really like the functionality to remain the same though, as well as including some others.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That's the "old fashioned" theme for iPhoto, the real maps app won't look like that.

I sure hope you're right.

While in certain settings I can see that being a lovely theme (IE, in a game like Zelda Wind Waker,) it doesn't look... I don't know, professional? clean? I can't think of the word I'm looking for...

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
It take more then sitting in a lab working on it. Apple isn't going to put the real world effort into Google has.

I'm sure Apple put some real world effort into it. They just didn't lose it in a bar for the world to see yet. :D:p

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
And along with it gos street view and all Google's data Apple can't hope to compete with. Sad really.

The only ones that benefit are Apple while the rest of us essentially get screwed. Here's to hoping we get to chose which maps we can install on our iOS devices.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Apple is opening up a bag of hurt. If they want to start developing their own maps, they need to do the whole package like search. A big part why Google's maps is a hit is because it integrates well with the rest of Google's systems.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I hope Apple drops Google Maps so that hopefully Google will release their own iOS app with all the bells and whistles that their Android one has.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
If they do go with an in-house solution, I'd be curious to see if they launch it as a beta or a US only version. If they don't have it working as well as Google maps from day one, people won't be as likely to trust it. Directions are the sort of thing people rely on to be right the first time.

I use Bing maps on my Titan but I still doublecheck longer trips on Google Maps first because they've never steered me wrong. I'm starting to trust Bing more but Google maps are still the golden standard IMO.

Demeetch

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Good for them. Apple is its own software/hardware company and shouldn't always have to rely on Google forever for their maps. I am however, curious to see how this will, not so much compete with google (because I dont think that that is Apple's aim), but how people will take to it in comparison TO Google, as there will be an inevitable comparison when it comes out. I am optimistic about this and hope its a success. :)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Apple is opening up a bag of hurt. If they want to start developing their own maps, they need to do the whole package like search. A big part why Google's maps is a hit is because it integrates well with the rest of Google's systems.

I think the reason why so many people us it is because competing products suck. Google Maps isn't great at what it does; it is just the best option.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

Why would you think that a third party map app would be more integrated than Apple's own map app that they have been working on for years?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Exactly.

And what about support for older devices that won't run ios6?
Well, those devices would be running the Maps app from the older iOS version, and thus connecting to Google Maps.

Remember, this doesn't mean that Apple intends to block Google Maps. It just means that the built-in Maps app on iOS 6 (and later, presumably) would access a different map database.

If someone builds an app that connects to Google Maps, that's fine.

Another option is for Apple to make their own map service the default on iOS 6, but offer Google Maps as an alternate data source, just like one can choose between Google, Yahoo, and Bing as the default search engine for Safari.

What practical advantage does this switch give me, the user?
We don't know yet. Hopefully better data, although right now, it seems difficult to imagine that Apple could beat Google at mapping services. In particular, Google has a several year head start on Apple concerning Street View.

About a week ago, I saw am unmarked street view surveying car not far from where I live. Was it Apple's? Who knows.

Last edited:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Well, those devices would be running the Maps app from the older iOS version, and thus connecting to Google Maps.

Remember, this doesn't mean that Apple intends to block Google Maps. It just means that the built-in Maps app on iOS 6 (and later, presumably) would access a different map database.

If someone builds an app that connects to Google Maps, that's fine.

If someone who isn't Google wants to pay the fees Google charges for using their maps then they can. No developer in their right mind will (other than Google) because they can use the built-in solution.

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
I truly hope they retain a normal satellite view and PLEASE keep Street View somehow. It is incredibly useful and the whole "3D" gimmick that has been rumored for some time now seems pretty useless. I hope my pessimism is wrong.

Agreed, I think one of the best features in Google Maps is its street view functionality. That and the fact that they have a huge database of places/businesses, which make finding restaurants, bars etc. much faster and easier.

I also hope that Apple considers the rest of the world. Siri's limitations to finding places in the US only has many Europeans (and the rest of the world) frustrated. So building up a truly international mapping service is a big challenge. I hope they can find some kind of open solution, like open maps, which can improve the service through users.

I know having "open" and "Apple" in the same sentence is a bit shocking or wishful thinking, but one can always dream!

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Google Maps on iOS is a stagnant product, in my opinion. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't received a meaningful update in a few years; and it is obviously lagging behind its Android counterpart. If Apple can make a more compelling app, more power to them. However, if they add one really useful piece (navigation) and one eye candy piece (3D), but lose satellite view or traffic overlays, I'll be disappointed overall.

I already use MotionX for nav and it works fantastically, for the most part. I hate the thought of losing Street View, but at this point that seems inevitable.

I wish Apple would put the current Google Maps app in the app store once iOS 6 is released, but I don't think that will happen for a second. No way did Apple invest all that money to acquire mapping companies to keep paying Google royalties to use their maps product because a subset of iOS users don't like change.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
I wonder what will happen to Google Transit directions if Apple ditches Google Maps. I can't say I am thrilled with this move if that disappears.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe it will use Siri. Tim Cook said they were giving Siri more options. Think about it:

Me: Siri, can you direct me to get to Heinz Field to see the Steelers play? And make sure it's a fast route, avoiding traffic.
Siri: I will lead you to Heinz Field. Route 28 south is backed up with an average wait time of 20 minutes. If you get off at exit 5 and follow Lowman Street, you will reach the destination 15 minutes faster.
Me: Thanks Siri!

*as we're driving along*

Me: Siri, I need a pitt stop, can you take me to a Sheetz?
Siri: Make a left to get to Sheetz
After Sheetz
Siri: To get back on your route, turn right out of Sheetz and then turn Right onto 3rd Ave.

So Siri could do turn by turn directions and do side stops and everything along the way. I hope so!

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2003
These maps look nasty. Apple tried to make them look "old". They have to stop doing this... The software people have gone off the rails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.