Apple Reportedly Developing iPhones with Large Curved Screens for 2014, Enhanced Touch Sensors for Later Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is developing two next-generation iPhones with larger, curved glass screens set for release late next year, reports Bloomberg. The new iPhones will feature displays at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, with the report also claiming that Apple is working on enhanced touch sensors that incorporate pressure sensitivity for later iPhone models after next year.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5s vs. 5.7-inch Samsung Galaxy Note III (Source: phoneArena.com)
    While Apple routinely develops prototype devices that are never released, rumors of an iPhone featuring a significantly larger screen have surfaced occasionally throughout the past couple of months. The Wall Street Journal reported in July and September that Apple had begun testing prototype iPhones with screens as large as six inches, and a report last month from NPD DisplaySearch speculated Apple may launch both a 4.7-inch and a 5.7-inch iPhone in 2014.

MacRumors released a printable papercraft version of a 5-inch iPhone back in February of this year after other rumors of a larger iPhone surfaced.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Developing iPhones with Large Curved Screens for 2014, Enhanced Touch Sensors for Later Models

2. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Two new models of a great phone, and (finally!) with a decent screen size too!!

Too bad I went over to Samsung already. :D

3. macrumors member

4. macrumors newbie

That would be epic! 4.7" iPhone for me, please.

5. macrumors 68000

Reason077

Why stop at 5.5 inches? Apple should build, say, a 6.5 inch "iPhone maxi" just to ensure they are always a step ahead of the competition.

6. macrumors 6502a

what's the point of a curved screen? Larger screen? I can see that, but do not understand what a curved screen is for.

7. macrumors 6502

thelonelylimo

8. macrumors member

How does a curved screen help anyone with anything?

9. macrumors 6502

10. macrumors regular

rneglia

Most iPhone 5 owners will be getting whatever Apple release in Sept. 2014. But the question remains, will this be available on T-Mobile?

11. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Different device. You can't make phone calls with an iPad mini unless you're using Skype, FaceTime, etc.

12. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Does anyone actually believe this? Larger screen phone, sure, but curved display, no way.

13. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

14. macrumors 68000

Oohara

Looking forward to the release and the comments from all those iPhone purists who have been laughing at any screen bigger than 4 inches. :D

15. macrumors G5

Rogifan

None, which is why this story is nonsense, but good for click bait.

16. macrumors regular

Apple is doing the right thing. Giving its customers alternatives.

17. macrumors 6502

Helps with the reflections.

18. macrumors 68040

boshii

I would think a curved screen that curves downward at the edges will make it easier and more comfortable to reach the harder to reach places furthest from the thumb.

19. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Zomg .. A larger iPhone .. Now I can retire my 4S peacefully!! Let's get it on Apple. This time please make it wider too .. Please pretty please?? :eek:

20. macrumors regular

I don't ;)

21. macrumors 6502a

22. macrumors 65816

Who would buy songs on iTunes when you can download them from Napster?

Why a touch screen on an iPhone when Blackberry and Nokia use keyboards?

Who needs a giant touch screen iPod when we have netbooks?

Your comment will be forgotten just like the rest that expressed doubt.

23. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Sits more comfortably in the hand and better matches the way our fingers move. There have been other phones with curved screens (eg. Nexus S).

24. macrumors 6502

ColdShadow

curved display has to be the most useless technology ever,I don't see any benefit with a phones display being curved.it should be avoided.
    as for larger iPhones,I'm all in.I'd say 4.7 inches is the perfect size but 5.5 inches is not practical and too big for a phone.
    3.5-4 inches smart phones are too small to be used comfortably unless you just want to use basic features and anything over 5 inches would be too uncomfortable to handle and use as a phone.

in general,large smart phones (max 5 inches) and small tablets (8 inches) are the ideal and superior sizes for these products.

25. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Do Apple prototypes normally have logos and FCC markings on them?