Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
This is nothing new. For years now the 8 GB devices have been the ones to his this price point of $0 on contract.

The cost of manufacturing an iPhone also hasn't changed, even with new models over the years. Apple's decided profit margin has not changed either.

While I do agree with you, to some extent, that it is time for 8 GB to be replaced by 16 GB at their relevant price points, the problem is how the multiples effect the rest of the lineup......as you and I would expect, Apple has established it's $100 increments for doubling storage. This may be easy to cope with at 8 & 16 GB, but get up to 32, 64 and 128.....those levels are not ready to see the same $100 price reduction.

Therefor, the bottom has to suffer until the top can come down too.

well sometimes what has been established has to be torn down for something new to begin.

both the ipads offer 4 different storage capacities and $100 increment between each one so if it can be done there then why not iphone? the memory in the ipad is reported to range from $9-$60 (16-124) so there is definitely room.

offer users the chance to add their own storage space.

the world is not as limited as apologists (not saying you) want to make it out to be.

i just find this a desperate half assed kinda move.

8gb is still a massive amount of storage for most people and will more than fit their needs with the power of iCloud behind every iOS device.

I honestly think current storage in all iOS devices is excessively generous and should be scaled back to boost profitability and help Apple fund future R&D. I only use a few gigs on my devices and could comfortably live within the 8gb world, and I'm an extreme power user!

lack of profits are certainly not stopping apple funding r&d. but if you think they are suffering im sure they would accept a monthly check from you.

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
That's good that they're building a device for a lower price point.

The OS looks totally rough though, shame. :(

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
This is the time last year that they introduced the $229 iPod touch 5th gen and then discontinued the 4th gen. Allows them to, at WWDC, announce the next iOS support for all current models.

I take this as a sign the 4/4s are going to be discontinued, and will not get iOS 8

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Since flash is so cheap, here is how I would price these (on contract)

$0.00 16GB iPhone 5c
$99 32GB iPhone 5c

$199 32GB iPhone 5s
$299 64GB iPhone 5s

Perhaps a $399 128GB iPhone 5s?

I find it odd that a phone with more expensive materials (steel, glass) is cheaper than a phone made of plastic and glass. Yes I know the internals of the 5c are better than the 4s, but still......

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I declared this immediately on this forum after the keynote last fall. They should have offered an 8GB model at launch. $450 off-contract/free on-contract, ditch the 4S entirely.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I'm sorry, but this just pathetic. 8GB on iOS gives about only 6GB of usable storage, meaning that people who will buy an 8GB iPhone 5c with an A6 processor capable of running 1+GB games, 1080p video recording that takes almost 1GB every minute of recording, and has the latest iOS 7 with the latest App Store and iTunes Store offerings are going to have a very bad experience. Apple talks about how it gives the best experience for customers, and having storage from 5 years ago is not a good experience.

Just imagine people coming to the iPhone for the first time, trying to record a few videos of their families on their new 5c, downloading only a couple of apps and games, and finding out that storage is way less than adequate.

I know Apple is all about their precious profit margins, but the manufacturing cost between 8GB and 16GB is $2 at most. Their only excuse is that Apple are some cheapo bastards. :p

The 8GB iPhone could work for someone who is truly reliant on the internet and cloud storage. A person who only watches videos on YouTube, listens to streaming music from iTunes Radio or Pandora, only downloads social apps like Facebook and Twitter, and only takes a few photos from time to time. While this phone could work for people in the States or Canada where Internet is readily available almost anywhere, it would not work in places where Internet isn't available so much like India or China.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Flash memory is cheap. VERY cheap. What is the point of an 8GB iPhone 5C? Hell, 16GB is tight as hell; install a few apps and sync some music and you're out of room. 8GB must be torture.

If anything they should be dropping the 16GB and making 32GB the base model. 32, 64, 128. It would be in line with flash memory pricing lately and eliminate the space crunch for low-end users.

WTF is Apple thinking???

There are many businesses that use the iPhones as an employee option for their work phones. There is little need for much "on board" storage in those situations.

Additionally, with Dropbox, Google Drive, and iCloud, more and more users are turning to cloud storage for their needs.

I'm not sure "WTF Apple is thinking???" but I wouldn't be surprised if those two things had something to do with it, as well as more competitive pricing for a larger market share in emerging markets.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
This is the time last year that they introduced the $229 iPod touch 5th gen and then discontinued the 4th gen. Allows them to, at WWDC, announce the next iOS support for all current models.

I take this as a sign the 4/4s are going to be discontinued, and will not get iOS 8

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Why not just lower the price of the 16GB!? :confused:

Despite Apple's "margins," 8GB goes nowhere today.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Having 8GB on your iPhone is like having a Ferrarri with a two gallon gas tank. Makes no sense.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Well you could get something like the Mophie Space Pack. It gives extra battery life plus storage. Pretty sure it is available for the 5S. Not sure it fits the 5C.

kivowitties

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
Most of you are forgetting one thing; you're on a tech forum. Most people are going to be totally out of whack with what people use because you think everyone is just like you and for the most part, the people who are on this site use their devices the same way. But the vast majority of people who are buying a 5c, aren't using it like you and I. They're using it for internet, e-mail, phone calls, texting, a couple of apps here and there, and that's it. Things that don't take up space.

The way you have to think about is with your parents/grand-parents who still have a feature phone. If these users were to switch over for free (if this rumor is true) to an 8gb 5c, what would they do on it? Odds are, not much of anything that takes up space. There's a lot you can do on an iPhone without taking up space. An 8gb phone, yes, it's what came on iPhone's circa 2007-2009, but still, if you're not using a space, you can still get [for the most part] today's technology and experience with no up front cost. I know both of my parents, if you took away the pictures they take of their grandchildren, would only have maybe 2-3gb's used on their phones. They both have 16gb phones. Which means, they both paid for their phones. The 5c isn't targeted at people like you and me who sit on their computers at 11am (EST) on a Monday reading/posting to a tech forum. It's targeted at first time smart phones buyers, kids whose parents are looking to get them a smart phone that doesn't cost $700, markets like China and India, etc. You're right, 8gb doesn't work for you and it doesn't work for me either. But it does work for millions of users who want/need a smartphone and can't afford double the off contract price of a hypothetical 8gb 5c.

If Apple does come out with an 8gb 5c, obviously, it'll be less off-contract than the 16gb 5c at $549. The 8gb 4s is currently $450 off contract and if they were to drop the price of all 5c's because, let's be realistic, no one is paying full price for a 5c anyway, then they'd be looking at a $350-$400 8gb 5c. Keep in mind, Apple is paying for, whether they sell them or not, 3 concurrent production lines to be running; 5s, 5c, and 4s. That's a lot of up keep and unnecessary expense if they're not selling the 4s too often. By releasing a cheaper, small (capacity) 5c, they cut their production lines down to 2; 5s and 5c. Which means, their GM on the iPhone business line goes up. It's a scenario where selling more phones for less money actually does make them more in the long run.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
The 4 and 4s models will be discontinued if this is true. But 8GB is a little bit too tight.

From the business POV, 8GB is the perfect entry-level purchase. It's cheap so the barrier to entry is as low as possible and the storage limitations will ensure a quick upgrade path.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
8gb???

pricing should be FREE or money paid to the "buyer"

I know plenty of people at work, they have hardly used 40% of their memory space on their 16 GB iPhones. Does it occur to you that many people use their smartphones just for the usual calls,texts,emails,internet browsing,FB,Twitter and occasionally some photos? Well, that's the type of people who would be willing to get the 8gb 5C for less then the current price of 5C.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon

Unfortunately you are probably right, Apple seems to be working on a KISS approach.
Killing the 4 and 4s from iOS 8 removes the need to support the Retina 3,5" devices and opens space for newer larger size screens. Considering the typical iOS upgrades it would be a bit nasty for 4s users but its seems tempting from Apple's development point of view.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
This is great. My friend wants to play with iOS a bit (he loves his Nexus 5). A low-cost phone will let him dabble with iOS. He's hoping to use it as a bring-your-own-device device at work.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
that would translate to 800MB of free memory on a 8GB iPhone - not even enough to install the 7.1. OTA-Update.

I don't think it is apples to apples with smaller storage devices. For example, the 8gb nexus 4 came with around 5gb of usable space and I still have 3.5 free on it.

I have maybe 15 apps, no music, movies, or games. I don't even know how there 4gb used.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately you are probably right, Apple seems to be working on a KISS approach.
Killing the 4 and 4s from iOS 8 removes the need to support the Retina 3,5" devices and opens space for newer larger size screens. Considering the typical iOS upgrades it would be a bit nasty for 4s users but its seems tempting from Apple's development point of view.

But there is no reason not update iPhone 4S to iOS 8. Unless Apple to discontinuous iPod Touch 5G, iPad 2, iPad mini 1G at same time before WWDC this year. If iPod Touch 5G still sell as new, it for sure will get iOS 8 update. Since iPhone 4S has same internals, why won't it gets update?

----------

That makes no sense. 8GB ? Not much you can do with 8.

You get 8GB iPhone 4S still selling...I do not see why 8G iPhone 5C

They need get price right. Selling it above $450 equal to no sells

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
the 16gb comes with 12.8 of usable space and I still have 8.8 free.

Now let's quickly do the math together, shall we: iOS 7.x hence uses about 3.2 GB of storage (that's 16 - 12.8, remember?). In your use case you have 4 GB of apps and data.

On a cheap and dirty iPhone 5C with 8 GB capacity that would leave you with how much memory left? That RIGHT, Sir, with 0.8 GB of storage! "Yes, you Sir, you just won the jackpot tonight, Sir!"

Doh! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.