Apple Reportedly Negotiating with Carriers for $100 Price Increase on iPhone 6

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 14, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is negotiating with wireless carriers to raise the price of the iPhone 6 by $100, claims Jefferies analyst Peter Misek (Via StreetInsider). Carriers initially are refusing to negotiate on the iPhone's $199 base price, but they may not be able to resist as the iPhone 6 is shaping up to be 2014's blockbuster handset.
    [​IMG]
    Apple is expected to ship the iPhone 6 later this year, with rumors suggesting the phone will be available with a 4.7-inch touchscreen display at first. A larger 5.5-inch version may follow at the end of this year or early next year.

Along with a larger display, the next-generation iPhone may include a thinner design, Apple's new A8 processor, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, 1GB of RAM, and an improved camera with optical image stabilization. The iPhone 6 is expected to run iOS 8, which may feature a new Healthbook app, improved Maps and a possible Siri API.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Negotiating with Carriers for $100 Price Increase on iPhone 6

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 6502

gpsouza

As long they don't increase the unlocked price, i'm fine

4. macrumors 68000

I guess they really don't want to let those margins slip at all...

5. macrumors regular

UnionVGF

This would be a very bad move by Apple if true.

6. macrumors newbie

This phone better ****** gold bricks if they are going to increase the price

7. macrumors 6502

redscull

And it'll come standard with 8GB storage. Double whammy!

8. macrumors regular

I always buy my phones off-contract. I hope it doesn't get raised by $100 here in Australia, $869 starting price is already too much when you consider the iPad is $598.

9. macrumors regular

Vinamra

Holds true for me too!

10. macrumors 6502a

As long as the base model is 64GB and 2GB of RAM I could probably live with it.

11. macrumors member

Assuming they're not decreasing the monthly payment then it will most likely mean an price increase for the unsubsidised iphone... sadly :'(

12. macrumors 6502a

13. macrumors regular

supersalo

Total BS

No way they increase their prices (especially now that there's more competitors).

Plus, let's look at the source of this "info".

Besides, when was the last time you saw Apple *increase* the price of an already established product?

14. macrumors 6502

15. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's just too much competition and good phones out there. If Apple ups the price, they're just getting greedy and will reduce the overall interest in the iPhone 6. Its a huge mistake imo

16. macrumors 6502a

I would accept a price increase if they double the flash memory. 32gb should be the base model...

17. macrumors member

With carrier subsidies ending, Apple needs to be LOWERING the price rather than INCREASING it...Oh well, well see how well it does when people are forced to finance the iphone rather than upgrade via a subsidized price.

18. macrumors 68020

applesith

No one (but Apple) likes higher prices, but I'm sure it will still have very strong sales.

19. macrumors 68040

People who want an iPhone will still get one, given that Apple's the only company producing it.

What I don't understand is why carriers are opposed to increasing the price by $100? Maybe my reading comprehension is poor - but does this mean the iPhone is going to cost $100 more overall, Apple is actually asking carriers to subsidise it less (good for carriers, right?), or they are demanding $100 more from carriers, who are then forced to absorb the difference? :confused:

20. macrumors 65816

Patriks7

The only time this would be acceptable is if they double the base storage. Even then, sounds crazy.

21. macrumors 65816

I don't understand the news that comes out of America WRT carriers. A price tag like '$199' (as quoted) surely means nothing unless you know what the package you're getting with that is, what the monthly cost is, how long the contract is, etc.

In the UK, carriers offer many different packages of minutes, texts and data, and each has a different monthly price and up front price.

I also don't understand the negotiations that go on between carriers and Apple. Don't Apple just set a price on their phones and let carriers set up different packages for it?

22. macrumors 6502

This would be a PR nightmare for Apple if it's true. The media would destroy them. Sales would plummet.

23. macrumors newbie

so, first they say in a presentation that the price of their phones is to high, and then they make one that's even more expensive. #doesnotcompute :eek:

24. d0minick, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

macrumors regular

d0minick

If true i am jumping to the S5. I've stayed with the iPhone, even though my favorite version was the 3gs. The iphone 5 has been horrid. The UI freezes all the time, the tall but skinny form is laughable.

and now adding 100$ because they are widening. Unfortunately, for myself, i will jump ship. I know many others will go with the i6 and thats fine. But for myself, i believe upping it 100$ is just greed.

EDIT: Those 8.1's look great ;)

25. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

So Apple is going to MAKE me get a larger phone whether I want it or not?

That's just great.