Apple Reportedly Paid $21 Million for Rights to Swiss Railways Clock Design

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 11, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Back in September, the Swiss Federal Railways accused Apple of copying its iconic clock design for the new Clock app for iPad included as part of iOS 6. Several weeks later, the agency announced that the dispute had been settled with Apple signing a licensing agreement for the design, although terms of the agreement were not announced.

Tages-Anzeiger now reports [Google translation] that the licensing agreement resulted in Apple making a payment of approximately 20 million Swiss francs ($21 million) to the agency. The report indicates that amount has been leaked by several sources, but the Swiss Federal Railways and Apple have refused to comment on the situation.

The report also suggests that the licensing agreement may not provide any compensation to watchmaker Mondaine, which has been the sole consumer-focused licensee of the design. Mondaine is reportedly happy that Apple has provided increased visibility for the clock design, but remains in discussions with the Swiss Federal Railways over the issue in order to ensure that it is resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Paid $21 Million for Rights to Swiss Railways Clock Design
  2. macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2010
  3. macrumors member

Feb 19, 2012
    I mean it's nice but... was paying 20mill cheaper than loosing an argument?
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2010
    Wow, thats incredible!

Remember that the consumer will be the one picking up the tab at the end.
  5. macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2012
  6. macrumors member

Aug 19, 2011
    Who knows how much Apple would've liked it to put a statement for the Swiss Federal Railways on their main page on
  7. macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2010
    That's one expensive clock... Can it make a drink?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2008
    So essentially they paid 21 million bucks for the styling of that second hand.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2009
    Wait... that clock design is a copyrighted 'design'? It looks like the most generic interpretation of the 'clock concept' I've ever seen.
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2010
    Gahanna, OH
  11. macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Or you could look at it another way - 21 million that could have been spent upgrading Mac Pro or fixing Final Cut Pro X, but they chose to spend it on a fancy clock instead.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2011
  13. macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2006
    The thick of it
    I wonder if that was yet another thing that led to Forstall's departure.
  14. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    Wow seriously I'd be okay with a 6.0.2 update with the old clock

Apple just has money to burn
  15. macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2011
    Glad Apple didn't get away with stealing a trademark. If they're going to go after other companies that borrow from them, they need to pay-up to other companies.

But, with retrospect, I bet they'd rather have just got one of their overpaid designers to spend half an hour drawing a generic clock icon rather than spending $21m.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2009
    United States
  17. macrumors 6502a

Dec 10, 2009
    United Kingdom
    A friend of mine has the Mondaine wrist watch and I really enjoy the design, but it's completely superfluous in a UI setting. It seems ridiculous to me (if true), that Apple is willing to part with $21 million for a clock design and then boasts about its contribution to hurricane relief efforts. That kind of money might as well go to a suitable cause...I'm content with a 'generic'-looking clock, but that's just my two cents (or seconds, as the case may be).
  18. macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    If you want to have a good time, you have to have a good watch :cool:
  19. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    Wow. I would have just changed the clock design in an iOS update and called it good.
  20. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2007
    Wasted money, when there is no new Mac Pro or the "released" iMac doesn't even have a proper HD (unless you go for the fusion drive).

Would be better spent on developing better hardware and software.

This shows the arrongance of today's Apple, "we want it we buy it" (in this case was more "we have to pay for it, we pay").
  21. macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Really? Then show me a clock that looked atleast somewhat close to this design that was made before this was invented.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2009
    United kingdom
    20 million dollars would be pocket change to a company like Apple. Seems both parties are happy. Mondaine and the Swiss railway are happy of the money as well as the publicity of the design.
  23. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Sep 21, 2012
    Germany, Europe
    Again a useless and this time very expensive use of skeuomorphism...Apple will need to sell some iPads to refinance that Forstall decision....
  24. macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Honestly, I like the clock design pretty much. Though, it's questionable to pay more than 20M for a simple design, when Apple could have easily come up with a decent alteration which would not infringe any patents but look nice as well. I mean, it's not as if they had no good designer's who could take a look at it *cough* Ivy *cough*.
    At least, I hope they make this the basic clock skin on all of their iDevices.
  25. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    Yes, because that was the only money Apple had in the bank. Next we'll see Tim Cook and Jony Ive wearing nothing but stylish, aluminum unibody barrels and begging for money on a Cupertino street corner.