Apple Reportedly Planning Orders for 65-70 Million iPad 3 Displays in 2012

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Electronista reports on a new article [Google translation] from Taiwan's Commercial Times claiming that Apple is planning for production of 65-70 million iPad 3 displays in 2012, paving the way for a significant boost to Apple's tablet sales.
    That 65-70 million number includes only iPad 3 displays, and with Apple having nearly one quarter's worth of iPad 2 sales ahead of the iPad 3 introduction and the company being rumored to continue offering the iPad 2 as a lower-cost option following the iPad 3's introduction, Apple's total iPad sales projections for the year appear to b even higher.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning Orders for 65-70 Million iPad 3 Displays in 2012

2. macrumors 68040

the8thark

This sounds plausible. And since Apple usually sells every iPad they can make well initially anyways this might be a good estimation of the iPad 3 early sales figures.

We just need to wait for Apple- to tell us when they will be releasing the iPad 3.

3. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

Not bad at all considering that by that time one fifth of the year is already over. I think and hope that you will continue to get the most for the buck at Apple when shopping tablets. Hopefully, the price range will stay the same - capping at $830 for the top-of-the-line.

4. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only downfall of the ipad3 is how thicker, slower and less compelling it is to the iPad 4 :)

5. macrumors regular

andreiru

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, Apple will have at least one more iPad user this time around - me. Can't stand the stalls of my iTouch 4 no more.

6. Guest

toddybody

Make hay while the sun shines :D

7. macrumors 6502a

Wow, just wow! It's amazing how popular these things have become. I remember when I bought the first iPad and people told me how stupid and pointless it was. I guess they were wrong!

8. macrumors G3

charlituna

If that's supposed to be world wide numbers then it sounds about right that they would plan for that much. Rather than under plan and be over a barrel when they need more than what they contracted a price on. Because then the display suppliers have the power. And that is not Apple's way of playing that game

----------

Yes but consider the recent education initiatives and the notion that US schools might be looking at getting iPads for their students. We don't know for fact that the iPad 2 in any form will stick around so it could be iPad 3's for all. And that could raise numbers up a bit for the summer sales.

9. macrumors G4

*LTD*

This will be a huge year for the iPad. The sales we've been seeing for the last few quarters is nothing compared to what's about come.

10. Guest

toddybody

I guess well see. Emerging markets are going to have to be a major contributor...cause the iPad 2 sold SO well, and many folks simply cant make the upgrade. Hope youre having a great day sir.

11. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I already have the money for my iPad 3. I opt not getting the iPad 2 b/c I didn't like the design of the back. Yeah, hated it.
    But Apple better bring it hardcore with this new iPad.

12. JGowan, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

macrumors 68000

JGowan

What if iPad 3's back is very similar to iPad 2's? Because I don't think it'll be that different. The following photo is not a definite and it doesn't show the back but it looks like it'll very flat like iP2 and not scooped like iP1...

[​IMG]

I'll say this: I, too, was not pleased with the back of iPad 2 compared to the first iPad, but that changed after I owned it for awhile. Definitely more comfortable to hold reliably, The scoop could almost cause you to drop it. Holding the iPad 2 is a lot more secure feeling -- and you don't have to open your hands up quite as much so it's more comfortable over a long period (late night reading).

@nagromme -- correct about the Weeble statement -- I like the new back better!

13. macrumors G5

nagromme

That’s up to 661 trillion subpixels!

Also, the iPad 1 was wobbly like a Weeble! The new ones can rest flat on a table—much better. Tablets should always have a perfect flat back. (At least both models are metal, unlike some plastic tablets I could name...)

14. macrumors 68000

Say what? You have an iPad 3 and an iPad 4? How can you make these statements unless you have them and verified? Psychic or psycho?

15. macrumors 65816

wow.. so this release is going to be nuts too then? (based on how much apple is predicting they will sell, and obviously not having all the stock at launch like they always do?)

crazy

16. macrumors 68000

I purchased an iPad 2 last fall. If iPad 3 has retina display, I'll buy another. If it has Siri, I'll give away the iPad 2 and replace it with a second iPad 3.

My only concern is that Apple is eventually going to be charged with Monopoly because no one else will be able to successfully compete with their advanced technology. The only advantage they will have is the ability to sell on price and make very little if any profit. (Or you can carry around three competetors products for the same price and still not have all the benefits one iPad provides)

17. macrumors 68040

Glideslope

Oh yea. Not just the Pad in 2012. Sit back and get ready.......;)

18. macrumors newbie

I think apple is targeting corporate this time in it's estimates.
    70million is a lot just for one year of sales. They have some cool deals laying ready if you ask me.

19. macrumors 65816

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    This is going to be incredible. Remember how nuts the 4S was? This is going to be bigger.

I feel bad for the FedEx and UPS guys, though, they're going to have a very long release day going to all those houses. One of them may very well be coming to mine. I'm not 100% sure I'll buy one this time around, but if enough things fall into place, it'll be time for me to take the plunge and buy my first iPad.

20. macrumors 68000

Haven't you been watching the news? They drop kick them to your house from the curb now.

21. macrumors 68000

If they continue to sell the iPad2 and discount it, that will reduce some of the pressure on the iPad3 supply. Furthermore, we are just entering the school purchasing season and they may be more likely to buy iPad2 if they remain available.

This will be a feeding frenzy the likes of which we haven't seen since the fat lady fell into the Piranha pool.

22. macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

I skipped the iPad 2. I'm buying the iPad 3 so I can target develop for the iPad and iPad 3 knowing I'll be able to pick up the iPad 2 in the specs.

I know dozens of friends who skipped the iPad 2 and are buying the iPad 3.

It will also be the first one I will make sure my Mom has one.

Of a few dozen members of the family, I'm one of two with an iPad. Several have Macs and iPhones, but not iPads.

This release will change that.

23. macrumors 65816

Scarpad

Well that's the question isn't it, as cheaper tablets become available that approach or equal what an Ipad can do, will people still flock to the Ipad, they probably will because by that time they will be entrnched in the Apple Echosystem.

24. macrumors member

MacScott

I was one of those that did not see the purpose of the iPad. So I have not gotten one at all yet. But I have just about talked myself into getting the iPad 3 when it comes out.

25. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

I see what your saying - but it is the whole package...

Yea, the ecosystem with all the purchased apps is one thing. Another is that there has yet to come an OS running as smoothly as iOS without using up the battery in a jiffy. Same with cell phones: My wife had an andriod for 3 months. Boy, that thing looked spiffy! Animated background, weather and clock on the combined home and background screen - basicly just eye candy. Not switching off these features made the battery go down within 8h max if she or my son used one or the other app (on WiFi) even though there were not many calls made. In other words, if you use it as a "phone," you cannot even make it through a workday. The second month, freezes started where she had to restart the phone. The Android App Store is not as user friendly as the AppStore. I could go on and on. My wife has now the "new" iPhone 4 (the one with 8GB after 4S launch) and has yet to miss a feature or find something which is not satisfying on her current device - set aside that she automatically got tons of apps from our iTunes account instantly.