Apple Reportedly Planning Significant Boost in iPad 2 Shipments for 3Q 2011

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DigiTimes briefly reports that Apple is planning a significant increase in iPad 2 shipments for the third quarter of this year, attempting to move 12-14 million units over the period. That goal is up from the 7-9 million units reportedly shipped during the second quarter.
    Research analysts have had a particularly difficult time forecasting Apple's quarterly iPad shipments in the face of production constraints and the transition from the original iPad to the iPad 2. While a number of research analysts and firms have pegged Apple's total 2011 iPad sales in the range of 40 million units or even higher, Apple fell far short of expectations in the first calendar quarter with only 4.69 million units shipped. That figure only included, however, a few initial weeks of iPad 2 sales as Apple struggled to meet demand and according to Tim Cook sold every iPad 2 it made during the quarter.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning Significant Boost in iPad 2 Shipments for 3Q 2011

2. macrumors demi-god

soco

Clearing out inventory much?

I'm excited! :D Let's get to the double announcement of iPad 3 and the 2011 MBA! Oh and let's not forget the iPhone 5 and 4S lol This year is so wacky with rumors. Love it!

3. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Not that it will help much, but I plan on finally buying one. The nice thing is, I will need a second down the road, so little worries here on a pending update!

4. macrumors 68030

Lesser Evets

This iPad thing... a failure. And these numbers are just a temporary bump as the fad... continues. It's nothing anyone wants to use.

/sarcasm

5. macrumors 6502a

If it were possible to walk into my local Best Buy or Future Shop and walk out with one 5 minutes later I would have bought one ages ago. Can't be bothered to order one online and wait. So I'm still using my original iPad.

6. macrumors 6502a

Are you being sarcastic? They're looking to build MORE iPad 2 units, not fewer. Why would they be building more of them if they wanted to clear out their inventory?

Perhaps you misunderstood. This story pretty much puts an end to the idea that we'll see an iPad 3 this year. It was never on the cards anyway, of course.

7. macrumors 68000

Can't wait to see people blabbering about how Apple is making toys for everyone.

8. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

9. macrumors 68030

You must be an analyst.

How else would you know that that there will not be an ipad3 this year:)

10. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

And what a toy it is!:D

11. macrumors 6502

Heh, I remember all the whining and shouting in the forums when Apple announced the iPad. In this thread, started just after the announcement, somebody even suggested it was time for Steve Jobs to retire! I guess that's why Job's the visionary leader of an incredible company, and we're here, criticizing and complaining incessantly :)

12. macrumors 6502a

Good news for Japan

One really good piece of news we can probably read from this is that most of the supply disruption caused by the March 11th quake has pretty much disappeared, which is good news for Japan's economy.

13. macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

I want one for Xmas.

14. macrumors member

because apple called the year 2011 the year of the iPad 2? :rolleyes:

15. macrumors G4

*LTD*

At least 40 million in 2012. And that might be on the low side.

16. macrumors 68020

jclardy

with iPad 2 leading the tablet market by far and them not being able to keep up production along with increasing production for Q3 I don't see Apple coming out with another new iPad within a year of the iPad 2, much less six months.

17. pmz
    macrumors 68000

I really can't wait for iOS 5 to hit gold master status. Then I'll know for sure whether my iPad 1 really can or cannot handle iOS 5. Right now, under the beta, it's as bad or worse as the iPhone 3G + iOS 4 disaster.

If my iPad 1 continues to perform like garbage on ios 5 once it goes public, I'll be plenty pissed off, and then figure out a way to sell it and some other toys to buy and iPad 2. I really wanted to wait for iPad 3 next year, but I need to use my iPad daily, and I won't be able to if current firmware runs like crap on it.

18. macrumors 65816

You're right, those fanbois will buy any piece of junk with an Apple logo slapped on it. How many billions do they number now? Stupid cultists! :p

19. macrumors 65816

johnnymg

To make 40m (cal year 2011) would require roughly this quarterly sales rate:
    5 + 9 + 12 + 14

The 5 is in the bank and I'm pretty confident in the 9. The 11 and 14 are WAGS. I'm long aapl but think 40m would be slightly ambitious for 2011. I'd be good with anything over 38m.

cheers to the longs
    JohnG

20. macrumors newbie

or even look at the iPod thread back in 2001

it always makes me smiles.

21. macrumors 6502a

Actually, I'm a consultant, which is almost as bad.

Simple logic though. Why would Apple release a new model when the old model is selling so well and is still so new? They can't even keep up with current demand. Plus the rumour has never really had any substance. No reason to believe it.

Add in the "2011 is the year of iPad 2" statement and the pattern of releasing iDevices on a roughtly 12 month rotation since the iPhone and iPod Touch set said pattern and you've got a pretty massive shovel full of reasons to not expect an iPad 3 this year and really no reason at all to expect one.

22. macrumors 6502a

Glad there wont be an iPad3 this year. Rather they take their time and have a proper upgrade next year, unlike the unspectacular one this year. My original iPad is doing fine and will be replaced be a 3 whenever it arrives. I reckon two years is the ideal gap between upgrading, big improvements usually

23. macrumors 65816

johnnymg

This is another clue as to why Apple has moved the iphone release to the early fall. i.e. ipad and iphone release will now henceforth be on a ~6 month offset release cycle. Makes life much easier in terms of managing suppliers and SW development.

24. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

M-O

fortunately for Apple, people love toys.

25. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You think that's something? Take a look at good old thread 500 for some laughs. (sorry, on my iPhone, can't post a link)