Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch Smaller iPad in Early 2011

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In a brief note, DigiTimes reports that Apple appears to planning to launch a smaller version of the iPad as soon as the first quarter of next year, bringing a sub-$400 price tag to a device carrying a display of 5-7 inches.Apple is reportedly scheduling a smaller 5- to 7-inch version of the iPad that is expected to launch as soon as the first quarter of 2011, according to Digitimes Research senior analyst Mingchi Kuo.

Kuo, citing talks with upstream component sources, said Apple's smaller-size iPad will be priced below US$400 and will target the highly-portable mobile device market and consumers that focus mainly on reading and do not have a high demand for text input.Reports of a tablet of that general size have been floating around for some time now, with an analyst claiming in August 2009 that Apple had developed a prototype carrying a 6-inch screen. A subsequent report claimed that Apple might be the cause of a major shortage of 7-inch touchscreens in the supplier market. Finally, in late December, a report surfaced claiming that Apple would be introducing a 7-inch tablet the following month.

While many of these reports indicated that a 6- to 7-inch device could be coming as part of, if not as the entirety of, Apple's tablet launch, the iPad debuted with a larger 9.7-inch screen in line with most other reports. Today's report reveals, however, that rumors of a tablet between that of the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad sizes are not dead and that we may hear more in the future.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch Smaller iPad in Early 2011

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Just what we need, an even blurrier line between the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch!

3. macrumors member

The iPad mini? Then the iPod touch can be renamed the iPad nano, and a new 1.5" device can become the iPad shuffle. (Maybe they can extend the top end, giving devices with screen sizes increasing in 2" increments all the way to 30" - or beyond! The SuperiPad Macro Whiteboard could revolutionise the Interactive Whiteboard industry...

4. macrumors member

People are already making jokes about the "iPad mini" or "iPad nano", so I guess it wouldn't be a great idea for Apple to really produce such thing :D

5. macrumors member

iPad nano? :p

Jokes didn't stop iPad from becoming reality. ;)

6. macrumors regular

To avoid confusion with the iPad, the new iPad Mini will simply be known as the "iPhone".

7. macrumors G5

Consultant

Random speculation...

How would "upstream component sources" know how Apple would price its product?

8. macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

A 5" device is certainly something I would buy, so long as it has a higher resolution than the iPhone and fits in a pocket. I love the Archos 5 because it meets both these criteria.

9. macrumors 6502

This sounds absolutely ridiculous and a waste.

10. macrumors regular

Yeah, not so much.

Why?

I don't REALLY don't see the need for this (and I bought 3 iPads for my family).

Not to mention the mess it will make of UI code on the apps.

11. macrumors 6502a

H00513R

The iPad is small enough for me. I can't squint any more than I already am! :D

12. Gen
    macrumors 6502a

Gen

Not gonna happen.

Btw, first page worthy?

13. macrumors 601

Yvan256

I already have an iPad nano. It's called an iPod touch. :p

14. macrumors 6502

Just like the iPhone nano, this wont happen. There is no need or advantage for further product diversification.

15. macrumors regular

serpico

This is getting ridiculous. The iPod Touch is already available, why do we need another touch device? Unless Apple sees this as their future. Even 2 year olds 'get' the iPad, these are Apple's future customers who probably won't even use a keyboard and mouse. They'll just 'Minority Report' everything one day!:D

16. macrumors member

tuhoops

This device would have a screen only 1.5" larger than the iPhone / iPod Touch?Hmm...

17. macrumors regular

Someone is posting rumors into the future. I believe they have just predicted the iPod Touch. If only this smaller tablet could also make phone calls and they could call it the iPod phone or PhonePad or TouchPhone or maybe MacPhone.

Are we really posting this to page one? Shouldn't this go with all the iPhone mini rumors.

If it happens I'll buy you all one.

18. macrumors 6502a

swarmster

I've never really understood how those "jokes" work. Even if you believe the iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch (or vice-versa), how does having a bigger or smaller version of something make them both less awesome?

iPod touch = awesome
    big iPod touch = really awesome

Am I missing something?

19. macrumors newbie

market research

This is a bit surprising, that they would diversify again so quickly, but I guess there is a section of the market that just want to read books. This new device I guess would have a less flashy screen, somehow more optimized for READING and less for watching movies.

20. macrumors 68020

Has Apple forgotten it makes the iPod Touch?

21. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I was going to blast this - then I realised that it could be pretty clever. If the iBook store etc takes off, and the market for e-readers develop, which it will now that Apple have been making the right business connections - people will want a novel page sized device to read from as it would be more comfortable and lighter than the iPad which people already complain about being heavy. Maybe they'll do away with the iPod Touch altogether..

22. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

But why ?

If they release iPhone 4G with higher res display and a iPod Touch shortly after with similar do we need a 1" bigger device doing the same thing again ?

It's neither as big and comfortable to use as an iPad or small and portable of an iPhone / iPod Touch ? What market is there for something that's niche even for Apple gadget die hards ?

:confused::confused:

23. macrumors G4

*LTD*

But it's just a small iPad.

(Folks, it's a RUMOR.)

24. macrumors 6502

wgilles

Wouldn't this just be an iphone

25. macrumors 6502

Prolly just renaming the touch iPad nano.