Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that Apple has finalized plans for its fifth-generation iPad, targeting a September launch for the redesigned device that is rumored to be taking design cues from the iPad mini with narrower side bezels and a thinner body.
Since upstream suppliers have mostly finished preparing for the production of the new 9.7-inch iPad, there is unlikely to be any changes in terms of specifications for the device. [...]

Although suppliers have not yet received a firm mass production schedule from Apple and are mainly shipping products for pilot production, the sources pointed out that pilot production is already able to satisfy demand for the initial launch. Therefore, the sources expect Apple to give its shipment estimates at the end of July or early August.
The report indicates, however, that plans for the next-generation iPad mini remain unsettled, with Apple still working to incorporate a Retina display into the device. If the company does elect to bring a Retina display to its next iPad mini, the device could see a launch very late this year. The report also indicates that Apple has been pushing to reduce the width of the iPad mini's side bezels even further.

ipad_5_mini_ciccarese-800x600.jpg
Mockup of fifth-generation iPad next to iPad mini

Today's claims are very similar to ones made in an early June report from Digitimes indicating updated iPad and iPad mini models may not appear simultaneously, with the iPad mini trailing the iPad by several months.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also indicated that issues related to a Retina display were likely to result in a later-than-expected launch for the next iPad mini. Kuo's modeling back in April had estimated that the device could be updated some time in the September-November timeframe, while he believed that the full-size iPad would see shipments ramping in August or September.

Analysts at NPD DisplaySearch have also been expressing uncertainty about Apple's plans for its second-generation iPad mini, with their most recent report last month indicating that they expect Apple to launch a thinner non-Retina iPad mini late this year, with a Retina update coming relatively soon after in early 2014.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Prepping for September Launch of New iPad, but iPad Mini Still in Flux

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
after trying out the HTC One, I keep wondering why Apple never incorporated a front facing speaker? makes video watching that much more fun as you don't have to turn up the volume so high, and no need to cup your hand over the edge of the device. wonder when this will come to the iDevice?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
after trying out the HTC One, I keep wondering why Apple never incorporated a front facing speaker? makes video watching that much more fun as you don't have to turn up the volume so high, and no need to cup your hand over the edge of the device. wonder when this will come to the iDevice?

It most likely won't ever happen.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Yeah, the retina mini has to come well after the ipad 5 to avoid cannibalization. I'd say 90 days at a minimum. Otherwise the ipad 5 early adopters will just return them for a mini.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I'm concerned about the idea of an even smaller bezel on the mini. It's hard enough as it is to comfortably hold the mini in portrait orientation.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
In similar news, Google are rumoured to be prepping upgrades to their search algorithms and Microsoft are reportedly working on Windows 9. John McCain has welcomed the news.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
What about the iPhone? Oct?

i'm guessing special event in september for iphone launch (the 5S and low cost iphone) and of course the new iOS 7

and another event in october for ipad 5 launch, new rmbp, maybe new iwork.

I know it says september launch for ipad, but apple could switch it up to highlight the iphone launch first.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010

I thought about that even before the HTC One came along. This is such a bloody obvious thing to do, especially on the iPad :\

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
A thinner bezel for the iPad Mini would be nice to make the one-hand around the back portrait hold less ackward. At the same time, the bezel getting any smaller will mean the thumb is intruding more into the display area when doing a one-hand portrait side grip. And it's tough to reconcile these rumours of an even smaller and thinner iPad Mini design with the addition of a more power hungry Retina display. Even if the Retina display is not coming in this refresh, continuing to shrink the iPad Mini now will only emphasis any subsequent size increase to accommodate a Retina display.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I stopped reading after Digitimes reports...:rolleyes:

Yep. Because the truth is rarely as they claim

I think the iPad Mini is not in flux as much as Apple isn't planning to release it at the same time for logistical reasons. I think both the iPad and Mini will be announced together but could be launched as much as two weeks apart simply to control traffic. Or perhaps they won't be split up if the iPhones and iPods are launched before or after enough that they won't be high traffic issues anymore.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Yeah, the retina mini has to come well after the ipad 5 to avoid cannibalization. I'd say 90 days at a minimum. Otherwise the ipad 5 early adopters will just return them for a mini.

Why? You think the mini size is better? I mean besides the cost, which is a clear advantage - why would I want a mini?

Cheers
LaForge

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Not me. I prefer the full size iPad and if Apple can make it thinner and lighter all the better.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Unlikely to be any changes in the specs? How is that possible?

----------

Why? You think the mini size is better? I mean besides the cost, which is a clear advantage - why would I want a mini?

Cheers
LaForge

It's more portable. I'd rather carry the mini along everywhere as opposed to the ipad.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

Cheers
LaForge

It's all personal preference, but yes, for me anyway, the Mini size is much better. It's far more convenient for reading, for carrying, for, well, lots of things. I can stick my mini in my back pocket of my jeans. Heck, I can fit my Mini (amazingly) in the FRONT pocket of my jeans, as long as I don't sit down with it in there. I just much prefer the size. Apparently a lot of people feel the same way, as the mini has been outselling the full size iPad since it was released. Now, some of that is surely due to the lower price point, but that certainly isn't the case with all of the demand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.