Apple Reportedly Targeting Late Q3 2014 for 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As outlined in our feature highlighting Apple's possible product plans for 2014, a number of rumors have suggested Apple may be working on a 12.9-inch iPad model that could launch later this year. The company is allegedly accelerating development on this device in response to Samsung's introduction of two competing 12.2-inch tablet models, with market sources cited by Digitimes claiming that Apple is now prepping the so-called "iPad Pro" for a late Q3 2014 launch at the earliest.

[​IMG]
    Mockup of 12.9-inch iPad next to iPad Air and iPad mini
    The claim that Apple's timeline is motivated by a perceived need to match Samsung's recent introductions seems doubtful given that Apple has routinely taken its time coming to market even in the face of competitors rushing to beat Apple to its own rumored products, but at a minimum the claimed launch target offers one more data point for those trying to predict a release. Some sources have predicted a launch as soon as early this year but such a timeline seems very unlikely given the absence of part leaks and other substantiating evidence.

Earlier reports suggested the 12.9-inch iPad Pro could be a hybrid device that would appeal to enterprise customers looking for a machine that bridges the gap between tablet and notebook. Based on display panels currently under development in the supply chain, research firm DisplaySearch believes that the iPad Pro could ship with a 12.9-inch Retina display with a resolution of 2732 x 2048 and 265 ppi.

Besides the iPad Pro, Digitimes' sources unsurprisingly also claim Apple is working on new 7.9-inch and 9.7-inch models to replace the current Retina iPad mini and iPad Air. These models will likely debut in Q3 2014, keeping with Apple's current late fall release schedule for the iPad. Demand for the iPad is expected to be strong again in 2014 with the company selling between 80 and 90 million units over the course of the year.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Targeting Late Q3 2014 for 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Launch

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

Please no... This will simply be a dumb move. Just like having 4"+ phone is.

3. macrumors 6502

Before it is postponed to Q4 due to yield problems.

4. Guest

Sky Blue

Another year with no new product announcement/reveals until June?

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Makes sense on one hand, since their iPad announcements are typically 3Q, but by the same token, that's an awfully long time to wait

6. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

so will this larger iAd Pro be the weight of the iPad 4? larger but with the lightweight style of the iPad Air.

7. macrumors member

Well, I was about to be against it, but then I tried holding my MacBook Air's screen as an iPad, and... HOLY CRAP I WANT IT!!!!!

8. macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

I would really like to have a larger iPad. I am not worried about portability. My iPad never leaves the house.

9. macrumors 65816

musika

They could go Samsung-style and put an earpiece on it so that people would stop asking for big iPhones.

[​IMG]

10. macrumors 6502

Or maybe its just a MacBook Air with touchscreen?

11. macrumors regular

Sorry but I will believe it when I see it. Hasn't the iWatch been targeted for Q3 launch for the last 2-3 years?

12. macrumors member

Is there anyone who is really looking at the full size iPad and saying "Man, if this thing was only 30% bigger and more uncomfortable to use for extended periods..."

I'm guessing not. Anyone thought that a HiDPI 12" panel might be headed for MacBook Air?

13. macrumors 68000

TyPod

14. macrumors 6502a

ONLY if it weighs 30% less than the iPad Air!

15. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Why ?

16. macrumors G5

Rogifan

So why is this on MR's front page then, other than blatant click bait that will soon be full up with trolling. :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 68020

I believe we will see a larger iPad. I think it's time for an accessible file system though.

18. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

19. macrumors 65816

I think this thing will herald the first step into merging iOS and OSX into one operating system, as much as people don't want that to happen.

If it ever does happen, I hope the OS's lovechild will retain OS X's open-ness, because a closed, controlled system like iOS in a desktop PC environment gets a big fat no from me.

20. macrumors member

OSX or GTFO.

'Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.'

21. SvK
    macrumors 6502

SvK

Ugh

22. macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

I remember reading Tim Cook teasing a number of "new product categories" for 2014. With CES just over, Apple is probably going to take its time. I for one think the keynotes will be very close to one another, following the usual timeframe

–iPhone 6, new iPods (?): September 2014
    –iPad Mini 3, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro: October 2014
    –iWatch: November 2014, in order for it to hit the shelves by the shopping season

This is going to be a very, VERY big year for Apple :D

23. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Just put Mac OSX on it or forget about it. It'll be useless running iOS when the air does just fine.

Same thing with a larger iPhone. What's the point if it isn't anything other than a bigger screen?

24. macrumors member

In response

"In response to Samsung". That is a good one

25. macrumors 6502

Yeah, huge.. All the same products with small spec bumps. And the same trick they have been doing for years, stretch the screen a bit more and call it revolutionary. :p

Oh and that watch I don't really care about.