Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greg McBride

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Guidance for next quarter is terrible though :mad:

I view the guidance as quite good. Calculating the lower end revenue guidance with the lower end margin guidance gives them a quarterly profit of $13.32 billion compared to $11.62 billion for the past quarter. Nothing wrong with that!

EDIT: Never mind. I think I did my math wrong. Oh well. The investors seem happy after hours.

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Genuine question,why will a stock split determine whether Apple is listed in the Dow?

Stocks priced too high weigh too heavily on the Dow when they rise and fall based on their formula. Apple at $80 fits their model.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I'm curious to know the reason behind the iPad miss. Supply constraints or people aren't buying. I find that really curious. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

As for the stock split - splits are largely meaningless. They don't affect the value of the company. The dividend will be 1/7 of what it is now. About the only advantage is that buying a few shares will be a bit more accessible at ~$75 instead of ~$525 for people who don't buy large chunks at a time.

People don't need to upgrade their iPads.

The market segment has become saturated.

It's going to happen to the iPhone soon enough

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I agree with an earlier post concerning upgrade cycles. I know people still using and loving their iPad 1s and 2s. I doubt those with the iPad Air will be updating any time soon either. Apple knows this and has planned for it.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
People don't need to upgrade their iPads.

The market segment has become saturated.

It's going to happen to the iPhone soon enough

Depends on what will happen with the iPhone 6.
The market research experts on this message board keep insisting on the "fact" that "nobody wants tiny iPhones", so technically there's a huge potential for sales growth in the future.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"Cook going over 7-for-1 stock repurchase plan. Will be shareholders of record as of June 2 and take effect June 9. Cook says goal is to make Apple’s shares more attractive to potential buyers."

Could someone please explain to me what happens to stock buyers in that in-between week? Or rather, what happens to those who are shareholders after June 2, but before June 9?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Stock splits are soooo 1990s! They're really just a smokescreen to make it (very slightly) harder to compare the stock price over time.

Steve would never have allowed it.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
"Cook going over 7-for-1 stock repurchase plan. Will be shareholders of record as of June 2 and take effect June 9. Cook says goal is to make Apple’s shares more attractive to potential buyers."

Could someone please explain to me what happens to stock buyers in that in-between week? Or rather, what happens to those who are shareholders after June 2, but before June 9?

Their stock doesn't split.

Shadylane315

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Have a question.

Let's say that after the split I have 100 shares. Do I then receive 3.27 per share due to the dividend increase? Or does that get divided by 7 as well.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I'm curious to know the reason behind the iPad miss. Supply constraints or people aren't buying. I find that really curious. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

As for the stock split - splits are largely meaningless. They don't affect the value of the company. The dividend will be 1/7 of what it is now. About the only advantage is that buying a few shares will be a bit more accessible at ~$75 instead of ~$525 for people who don't buy large chunks at a time.

The iPad miss wasn't as bad as it appeared at first glance. More than a million of that miss was from draw down in channel inventory. Sell-through fell only a few percent YoY.

But Mr. Cook did mention some supply issues with, IIRC, the iPad Mini. I'll have to wait to listen to the conference call again to make sure it was the Mini he was talking about, but I think it was.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Have a question.

Let's say that after the split I have 100 shares. Do I then receive 3.27 per share due to the dividend increase? Or does that get divided by 7 as well.

It gets divided as well. No, we didn't all hit the lotto. ;)

----------

Their stock doesn't split.

I appreciate the quick reply, although I have found some differing information.

From fool.com:
What happens if you buy a stock after the "record date" for the split but before the listing change?
The "record date" means virtually nothing to the stockholder. If you bought the stock before the split, your shares will split the same day everyone else's do, regardless of the record date. You won't lose on the split.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Genuine question,why will a stock split determine whether Apple is listed in the Dow?

It moves participating in the Dow into the "possible" category. The very strange makeup of the Dow, which got linked to above, would previously have made the DJIA into the Apple Index, which would be...silly.

Have a question.

You will see the per-share dividend divided by 7 as well.

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Guys I am still confused by this 7/1 split.?? What should I do?

Lets say I have 15 shares now by June 2nd and the stock is at say $550 should I sell all my shares before the stock changes to what people are saying $75??

Or does my shares (15) increase x7? so = I will have 105 shares? and if I wanted to sell each share it would then = $75?

If someone could please help and give advice for those who already have shares what it means? should i sell before 2nd June or carry on holding?

Explain in detail please :)

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.