Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Stock splits are soooo 1990s! They're really just a smokescreen to make it (very slightly) harder to compare the stock price over time.

Steve would never have allowed it.

Oh look, we have another person who knows what Jobs would have done.

Might want to check out the 3 previous stock splits for AAPL.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
It gets divided as well. No, we didn't all hit the lotto. ;)

----------

I appreciate the quick reply, although I have found some differing information.

From fool.com:
What happens if you buy a stock after the "record date" for the split but before the listing change?
The "record date" means virtually nothing to the stockholder. If you bought the stock before the split, your shares will split the same day everyone else's do, regardless of the record date. You won't lose on the split.
If that is correct then I apologize, that is not how I had understood it to work.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Guys I am still confused by this 7/1 split.?? What should I do?

Lets say I have 15 shares now by June 2nd and the stock is at say $550 should I sell all my shares before the stock changes to what people are saying $75??

Or does my shares (15) increase x7? so = I will have 105 shares? and if I wanted to sell each share it would then = $75?

If someone could please help and give advice for those who already have shares what it means? should i sell before 2nd June or carry on holding?

Explain in detail please :)

Thanks

Unless you have a burning urge to sell your shares for other reasons, hold onto them. When the stock splits, each current "share" turns into 7 new shares at 1/7th the price.

What this means practically is...well, very little. But it does decrease the per-unit cost of a share.

Lets say you have 1 share. That means after the split you have 7 shares.

You could increase that to 10 shares by buying some new shares, for way less than you would have to pay for buying 1 share at the old price. If you only had $225 ($75*3) and you wanted to buy shares of Apple, previously, you were out of luck. Now, you can buy three. Similarly, if you only held one share, your choices are "Sell everything" or "Hold everything". You could now trim your position in Apple by selling 3 of your 7 shares.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Guys I am still confused by this 7/1 split.?? What should I do?

Lets say I have 15 shares now by June 2nd and the stock is at say $550 should I sell all my shares before the stock changes to what people are saying $75??

Or does my shares (15) increase x7? so = I will have 105 shares? and if I wanted to sell each share it would then = $75?

If someone could please help and give advice for those who already have shares what it means? should i sell before 2nd June or carry on holding?

Explain in detail please :)

Thanks

LOL you poor thing. Don't give yourself a panic attack ;)
Here, read this: http://www.fool.com/FoolFAQ/FoolFAQ0035.htm

Basically if you have 15 shares, then yes you will have 105 shares. The dividend is also split into 7 parts, so it is the same as before. Really, nothing changes. You aren't losing money, it's not disappearing.

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
How can iPhone sales be so good when they all run iOS 7? :D

I am not sure the sales were that good. During the conference call TC said that Apple had 15.4 million iPhone inventory in China. As I understand those are counted as sales.

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
lol darkslide trust me I aint doing anymore investing again.. its a nightmare and hassle setting up an account and then wanting to sell and then get taxed by country and bank for exchange rate.. makes no sense lol

will read your link :)

thanks flujunkie i think my brain is starting to figure it out a bit more clearer..

I was hoping to keep and wait to sell at $600 as when it reached $700 in the past I got greedy hearing idiots it will go to $800 and just dropped out of nowhere.. and so now waiting for $600 so should I sell before it? or just keep and watching it grow?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I am not sure the sales were that good. During the conference call TC said that Apple had 15.4 million iPhone inventory in China. As I understand those are counted as sales.

Ok I'll bite. So you're suggesting the 15.4M inventory in China isn't going to sell?

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
lol darkslide trust me I aint doing anymore investing again.. its a nightmare and hassle setting up an account and then wanting to sell and then get taxed by country and bank for exchange rate.. makes no sense lol

will read your link :)

thanks flujunkie i think my brain is starting to figure it out a bit more clearer..

I was hoping to keep and wait to sell at $600 as when it reached $700 in the past I got greedy hearing idiots it will go to $800 and just dropped out of nowhere.. and so now waiting for $600 so should I sell before it? or just keep and watching it grow?

That part is a very personal decision and just depends on how you feel the stock is going to do.
If you have 15 shares, and $600 was your sell price...
Divide $600 by 7. That makes your target price $85.71.
If you sell your 105 shares at $85.71 in the future, it is the same as selling your 15 shares at $600.

And you shouldn't be asking us what to do! Like you said, "idiots" told you it was going to hit $800 and then it dropped. What makes you think we are any smarter and should tell you what to do?? ;)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Stock splits are soooo 1990s!

Ugh! I kick myself every time for my mistake in the 1990's. I was given $1000 worth of Apple shares back in 1996 (about 50 shares). Well, :apple: was barely alive back then (think Paul Krendler from the Hannibal movie). It was my Christmas bonus from the apple repair shop I worked for. I cashed 2 weeks later. If I had held on to those 50 shares, I would worth an extra $100,000 right now.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Ok I'll bite. So you're suggesting the 15.4M inventory in China isn't going to sell?

I have no idea what is going to happen. The number does sound too high. I also heard from some knowledgeable guy (I believe it was Baidu CEO) that iPhone appeal in China is limited for several reasons:
* high price
* small screen
* inability to customize a keyboard (apparently this is more important for Chinese for whatever reason - I do not speak Chinese and have no idea how their keyboards look like).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Share price jump in after hours trading (and I believe it is actually halted right now) today has probably more to do with the announced stock split and share buyback. There is a reason Apple decided to announce this stuff today. Without this the price might have actually fallen.

The 14% beat on expectations is the main factor, and the increase in dividends and the buyback surely helped. The split, certainly not, as it has no material value to investors.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
Ugh! I kick myself every time for my mistake in the 1990's. I was given $1000 worth of Apple shares back in 1996 (about 50 shares). Well, :apple: was barely alive back then (think Paul Krendler from the Hannibal movie). It was my Christmas bonus from the apple repair shop I worked for. I cashed 2 weeks later. If I had held on to those 50 shares, I would worth an extra $100,000 right now.

Think of it this way though... if the stock price was $20 ($1000/50 shares) when you received your gift, who's to say you wouldn't have been tempted to sell at $50? That's a huge profit.
Or $100? That's a hard psychological number to not sell at, and already 5x profit.
$200?
At some point most people would have sold early on. Especially a gift, since it was not your long-term retirement account that you vowed no to touch. :)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Current channel inventory is a useless number on it's own in determining sell through. You would need to know the change in channel inventory from the beginning of the quarter to the end. Apple usually targets 4-6 weeks of channel inventory.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
I don't think they will. Three reasons why Apple won't cut the iPod:
1. The iPod is an Apple classic. It's arguably what Apple back in the game. For strategic reasons, Apple will want to keep the iPod.
2. There is still a market. The market may be shrinking, but it won't disappear.
3. It's an easy way to recover R&D costs. Consider the premium feel of the iPod touch. I'm quite certain that the iPhone 6 will look a lot like the current iPod touch.

I agree that Apple won't totally ditch the iPod, but I do think they will only offer the iPod touch once the watch is available.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Stocks priced too high weigh too heavily on the Dow when they rise and fall based on their formula. Apple at $80 fits their model.

Please explain this interest in the Dow. The Dow should be dumped. It is easily the most antiquated and meaningless index in the markets.

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
When I say idiots lol, I meant these so called pros analysts and people from wall street bragging from what I read how Apple will be at $1000!! and they get paid a lot to talk crap thats why was asking your opinions at least, as I don't see Apple hitting $700 plus again so $600 was my nice way of saying good bye and not to play it again kind of thing but this split has confused me and not sure what the game is now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.