Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
...but they failed to beat the most optimistic amature analyst!

Doom and Gloom!! They barely beat the whisper numbers, and next quarter is going to be miserable! Only 14% growth YoY, and a 30% QoQ drop in earnings, all after a 12% decline this past QoQ!! Doom and Gloom!!

In all seriousness though... wow, good quarter and amazing margins. Had hoped for a little better; this won't move us back to $650 any time soon.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Doom and Gloom!! They barely beat the whisper numbers, and next quarter is going to be miserable! Only 14% growth YoY, and a 30% QoQ drop in earnings, all after a 12% decline this past QoQ!! Doom and Gloom!!

In all seriousness though... wow, good quarter and amazing margins. Had hoped for a little better; this won't move us back to $650 any time soon.

No surprise as this time of the year is usually down in retail sales.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
So, Mac sales were below estimates as were iPad sales. Q3 guidance is below consensus and below Q2. I think aftermarket action is way off (it often is for many companies on the day when they report quarterly results). It does not look like AAPL is going up from now. It looks like it will go down.

(RTTNews.com) - Apple Inc. (AAPL) posted second-quarter net profit of $11.62 billion or $12.30 per share, up from $5.99 billion or $6.40 per share in the year-ago quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the company to report earnings of $10.06 per share for the quarter. Analysts' estimates typically exclude special items.

Quarterly revenue rose to $39.2 billion from $24.7 billion in the same quarter last year. Forty three analysts had consensus revenue estimate of $36.81 billion for the quarter.​

Nice try.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple achieves THAT, coming off a monster holiday quarter.

Very impressive. And the stock's rebounding nicely on top of it.

There were some fears going in, but they should rightly be laid to rest now.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
I am sick of this AAPL run up. Cant find any pullback to enter. I guess pros used this earnings to get out from positions to short that bubble stock. I do hope so.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
They should totally drop "other"

;)

They can 'drop' that Other into my bank account. :D

Ipods are 3% of revenue? Wow. Discontinuation of ipod classic and shuffle imminent?

Apple used to be known for Macs and ipods, now the company is all about ipads and iphones.

True, but keep in mind that iPhones and iPads are basically a hybrid of Macs and iPods. For most people, iOS has made it possible to offer the best of both worlds so it's only natural to see this shift.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
So, Mac sales were below estimates as were iPad sales. Q3 guidance is below consensus and below Q2. I think aftermarket action is way off (it often is for many companies on the day when they report quarterly results). It does not look like AAPL is going up from now. It looks like it will go down.

And as usual, you have zero clue what you are talking about. Apple's guidance is almost always below what others think it should be. The after hours trading is exactly what happens after Apple's earnings statements and it is almost always maintained in next day's trading. Common sense says AAPL is going to continue to go up. The only reason the stock was dropping lately is some idiots thought Verizon and ATT selling less iPhones then last quarter actually meant something.

theredstig

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
People are waiting for refreshes.

Hummmm no they are not. Compare sales in one of the busiest quarters of the year (Q1) and then one of the slowest (Q2). To have a difference of -.5% is not saying people are waiting on a refresh (only the geeky internet people think so). That is retail trends and is not surprising at all. The MBPs just got a refresh in Q1 also.

Heavenly

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Northwestern University
I was watching CNBC while they were reporting the earnings and it literally jumped from $560 to $585 before rising to over $600/share. Can't wait to see the markets tomorrow when the after hours numbers calm down.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

(RTTNews.com) - Apple Inc. (AAPL) posted second-quarter net profit of $11.62 billion or $12.30 per share, up from $5.99 billion or $6.40 per share in the year-ago quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the company to report earnings of $10.06 per share for the quarter. Analysts' estimates typically exclude special items.

Quarterly revenue rose to $39.2 billion from $24.7 billion in the same quarter last year. Forty three analysts had consensus revenue estimate of $36.81 billion for the quarter.​

Nice try.

As if you disprove anything. All the profits were made on iPhone. Mac and iPad sales were below consensus, guidance is below consensus. These are the facts.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Considering the Macintosh business is a Fortune 100 company on its own and Apple has had 25 straight quarters of Mac sales growth, I'd say they are pretty aware of the fact that they sell " "CPU" devices".

I didn't say anything about not being profitable. But nearly everyone I know that is thinking about buying a new CPU has been holding off. Have you taken a look at the Buyers Guide recently?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 4.55.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 4.55.04 PM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 3,173

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's just an after-market speculation. We'll see what happens tomorrow (or even in one hour)

After-hours trading is thinner than regular market trading, but it is no more "speculative" than the regular markets. Whether it holds up or by how much will be dependent on overnight developments, particularly in European markets.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I am sick of this AAPL run up. Cant find any pullback to enter. I guess pros used this earnings to get out from positions to short that bubble stock. I do hope so.

Where the hell were you the last 2 weeks. You had your buying opportunity.

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I didn't say anything about not being profitable. But nearly everyone I know that is thinking about buying a new CPU has been holding off. Have you taken a look at the Buyers Guide recently?

All those should be red, except the monitor obv.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
just looking at the graphs.

Yup, its great news. there were significan't gains over the year. Q2 2012 i believe saw revenues double Q2 2011.

But whats the dip? are we seeing a brief lul? Q2 2012 looks down compared to Q1 2012.

Not fear mongering, just looking for an explanation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.