Apple reps call you at home to sell you PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by keysersoze, Jul 8, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Have any of you been contacted by Apple with a special deal, based on the fact that you put together a PBook on their store site and then never checked out (aka bought it)? It's talked about here:

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=542

While I find this creepy, I was wondering what kind of deals they offer! Maybe if I had just let my PB sit in my apple.com shopping cart and didn't pull the trigger and buy right away I could've got something cool... I want to know what I missed out on!!!!!

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Well, have you tried at apple.com? I've left stuff in the cart w/o checking out multiple times in various online stores and they've never called me up. I don't like the sound of this. I hate it when people solicite me to sell something. If I want to buy something, I'll call you, don't call me. Unless of course, you wanna sell me the 17" PB at half off.

3. legion macrumors 6502a

It's happened to me and I b*tched the salesperson out. It is creepy and on the same level as any telemarketer calling me. Also, the deals they offer are non-newsworthy.

4. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

But what are "the deals?" That was my question. I also agree it's creepy-- said so in my post.

5. kidA macrumors regular

you might think it's creepy but lots of other companies do it. IBM most notably i think. i had a t41 in my cart for about a day or two and a sales rep called me right away asking what he could do to get the computer shipped out. i wasn't even planning on buying—i was just looking around.

6. jcook793 macrumors regular

I wouldn't find it too creepy. I'd probably welcome the call, at least it would involve something I'm remotely interested in. I shudder to think what I'd do in a weak moment... :) Yeah, now that I think about it, that might be good marketing. ;)

7. Dusty419 macrumors newbie

After reading this thread, I went to Apple's website. If you click on the following link - MyInfo page on Apple.com - it will take you to the page that lets you update your information attached to your Apple ID. Once signed in with your ID, you are given many fields that you can fill in. At the bottom is a list of Contact Preferences. I was surprised to find "Telephone call from Apple" checked in my profile. So, I unchecked it and saved. According to the Apple Customer Privacy Policy, they can't contact me now because I haven't given them permission. Just thought this might help those who don't want to be contacted regarding an order that they haven't placed yet.

8. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

That's good to know. Thanks for checking that out.

Now. Does anyone want to tell me what they were offered??

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I ordered from MacMall once, and the autofill put the college I attend in the "Company" section, and i got a call asking me if i wanted to make any large orders for the school. I told the guy that I wasn't in a position in the school to do such a thing, and he asked me if i knew who was and i said no, and so he asked me if i could find out and call him back, and i said no, and he was very insistent about it and eventually i hung up on him.

10. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Funny story. Now. Can anyone out there PLEASE tell me what they were offered by Apple when a rep called them??? :confused:

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife placed an order for a 15" PowerBook at the Apple Store online. A representative called her to see what she could do to close the sale. She's not really sure what the offer was. It may have been a deal on memory. She ended up purchasing at our local Apple Store during the Panther release party. We purchased Panther and got 10% off on the 15" PowerBook.

12. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Thanks for answering my question. ;) 10% off on a 15" is a deal, in the end... I wonder if they will have a "Tiger release party". Hmm...

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You are very welcome keysersoze. Yes it is a great deal. They had something similar with Jaguar. So I expect that Steve will also have a "Tiger Release Party." hopefully the 10% discount will be offered again with purchase of Tiger.

14. clr900 macrumors regular

I had a dual 2.5 Power Mac in my saved orders that I configured probably a few days ago and I was contacted today by Apple. The guy didn't offer me any special deals but I didn't really let him because I said I am still planning on purchasing it, I am just not ready yet and said good bye. It was a tad creepy.

15. xgsrpg macrumors member

I've been toying around with a PB in my cart for the last week before I bought it yesterday, and I even had some in a Saved Cart as well. However, I was never contacted by Apple, phone nor e-mail.