Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Admin-Littell

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Planet Earth
Is it really that hard to figure out? I think it's a brilliant solution to a very annoying problem.

Imagine you're walking and have your iPod in your pocket. A song comes up you don't want to listen to. If you have this clip-on device attached, you can simply reach in and hit the next button--easy to find in your pocket since it's got actual buttons. This is something that is next to impossible to do with the current generation of iPods and iPhones that are primarily controlled by touch.

Now, let's see if Apple is smart enough to design this to also work as a game controller.

Ok, you know that apple made headphones that are for that exactly? I have around 4 to 5 pairs of headphones that have remotes in the cord. Just remember other devices apple has made. :)

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
what's that circle with a hole in the middle and play/pause, forward and backward arrows all around?

Freez

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Communicator.

Attaches to your collar.

Open locked doors, speaker phone, room preference notifier and adjuster (sound control, web preferences, temperature adjustment...)

Great for notification of "your turn" in any waiting situtation.

A remote control for your entire humanity.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Is it really that hard to figure out? I think it's a brilliant solution to a very annoying problem.

Imagine you're walking and have your iPod in your pocket. A song comes up you don't want to listen to. If you have this clip-on device attached, you can simply reach in and hit the next button--easy to find in your pocket since it's got actual buttons. This is something that is next to impossible to do with the current generation of iPods and iPhones that are primarily controlled by touch.

Now, let's see if Apple is smart enough to design this to also work as a game controller.

There's a button on your headphones to address this very problem.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

The headphones with mic that come with it do this.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The headphones with mic that come with it do this.

This idea, unlike the headphone buttons, could also be used for other applications, most obviously for games. To me, the buttons on the headphones always seemed like a weird kludge to maintain that "almost no buttons" aesthetic of the iDevices. Touch-based UIs are amazing and can do so much but there's still a place in the world for actual buttons.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I patent matter. I win. You can't use matter in any products from now on unless you pay.

I know you're being funny but this shows a typical misunderstanding of patents that leads to people getting on their soapboxes and complaining about how broken the system is or how evil and destructive the patent office has become.

The point is, you can patent matter if you want, providing you're using it in a specific and unique way on a specific class of products for a specific application.

Good luck with it. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
This subject came up the day before the iPhone 4S was announced. They predicted it might be a part of the iPhone 4S way back then.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
The market is full of ear-phones with better sound quality (better than Apple's) but no remote control. More choice for the customer, the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.