Apple Reseller Says "G5's in July"

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Hemingray, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

So I'm in my local Apple Reseller's store to pick up my replacement mouse and the rep starts telling me about their deals they have on their CRT iMacs. I tell him I have a G4 400 PCI and I won't be upgrading until I see....

Him: "...More megahertz?"
    Me: "Nope, I don't really care about MHz. I'm waiting on bus speed."
    Him: "Oh yeah, that's coming, wait a few months. G5's in July."

That wasn't verbatim, but I distinctly heard him say "G5's" and "July".

Do I believe him? No, not really. :D I've learned not to hold my breath. If it were true, I don't think they'd be so open about it. Just thought maybe you guys would be interested in hearing that.

I know I am. :cool:

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't tell Steve. He'll have this guys head on a platter!

IF this guy knows what he's talking about, as unlikely as that is, I'm really looking forward to MWNY...getting up at 6 to watch the keynote is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :D

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

There's a mac rep who comes into my store every weekend, and he seems to think that we'll see G5's in july also. To tell you the truth, Apple doesn't let any info like that out to any rep or reseller, so I am taking this very skeptically. As should everyone.

-Pete

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Unless of course the infamous "inside source" knows these guys and is telling them things better left unsaid...

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is an Apple reseller, right? For all you know he's one of the top posters on SpyMac! I don't by it, the source isn't much better than anything around here. If this guy somehow talked to someone that new something was in the works, yeah, that's it....

But, I would love to see G5s in July. I just don't think it will happen.

We haven't even had WWDC yet, and there will be something new then.

Oh the waitings painful;)

6. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

My friend's wife's sister's dog's friend's master is a VP at Apple and the insider goss getting spread around is that there will be some speed bumps in July.

I don't know if I should trust it, though

7. Hemingray thread starter macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I don't believe him anymore than you guys do. I'm just passing on what he said. I could have let it go, but after all what are sites like this for? ;)

8. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Hey, no complaints from here.... I think it is funny that they are making comments like that with no factual basis. Even better if we don't get G5s in July, I would love to go back to see his face with you.
    :)

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

It would be great...

...but I have a feeling that I shouldn't get my hopes up. I might just get my heart broken.

Just like tonight. I had plans all set for my 155 million big game jackpot. I was crushed when my tickets didn't win. Crushed I tells ya.

Matthew

10. Hemingray thread starter macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You can bet I'll be going back if I don't order a G5 this July. :D

11. Timothy macrumors 6502

local resellers...

If your local resellers are anything like my local resellers, any information they may give you must be suspect.

In my experience, Apple treats these resellers much like mushrooms.;)

12. iGav macrumors G3

Whatever happens....

This place is going to go bonkers around MWNY....... It's going to be mental.... And I for one can't wait.....

You thought MWSF was mad..........:p

13. rEd Eye macrumors regular

My mac dealer appeared quite certain that the dual G4 was at the end of the G4 tower line.I inquired as I was handing her the cash,so maybe that loosened her up some.If this is the case,there probably will be a G5 in July.Actually,I would bank on it myself.But I sure won't buy the first revision regardless!So not too much excitement here.

14. freedom macrumors member

Royal Midsommarkransen, Stockholm, Sweden
    Wait…

Shouldn´t an Apple salesperson
    keep his mouth shut about G5´s
    in july, and sell the customer
    an expensive G4 instead?

That´s no way to do bizniz!

I know I wouldn´t let the
    customer keep his money
    ´til July…

If there is a serious upgrade
    coming, the buyer will probably
    buy that one as well.
    I know it´s not a "nice" way
    of conducting bizniz, but it
    sure is profitable…
    And Apple needs it.

15. macmunch macrumors regular

I think this is True

There are so many "Specials for Power Macs" (Here in Germany)

They want to sell all there stocks.

You get the new and the old PM with Displays for very good prices.

100% there will be a new PM in July or in August
    But is it a G5 or G4 ?

we will see, but I think it will be very Powerful.

16. Hemingray thread starter macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Wait…

Yes, but I told him flat-out that I wasn't interested in upgrading until they hiked the bus speed, and that got him talking. Plus, he was trying to sell me a CRT iMac, not a G4! That in itself is suspect... ;)

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We all know change is around the corner. But the 'deals' aren't that great yet. $100 off an Airport Base Station? A Linksys wireless 4 port router is more thatn $100 less than a basestation to begin with. It was a better deal when they were offering up $500 on a Apple Cinema Display.

But then again,we've got a few more months before the actual event. And WWDC is just around the corner. I'm more interested in what's going to happen in less than a month when the planets align on the 6th.:D

18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

We can all dream of walking up to that local reseller and he tells you, "oh ya I got one of those G5 thingies in the back."

19. sjs macrumors 6502

reseller says G5 in July

The announcement of G5 will be the biggest Apple event since the new iMac and before that the new OS(X).

And a RESELLER knows this? Come on. We all have too much time on our hands.

Of course, this kind of stuff does make for a nice 30 second break in the middle of a busy day.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I happened to be in an Apple store this evening and asked one of the clerks about the G5, and his answer is that he wasn't even allowed to speculate with customers and that Apple tells them absolutely nothing.

I doubt the Apple reseller could have known anything given that Apple cracks down so on their own employees. It just doesn't make sense.

21. eirik macrumors regular

G5 in July

I acquired further information about the upcoming G5 in July from a palm reader that works at an Apple Store part time as a showcase designer:

I see a new cheeeip. Larrrrger, muuuuch larrrrrrrger than any before. I see menny, menny layers...layer upon layer. I see naaaames of compounds...silicon germanium and others that I don't understand. I hear someone saying that the RAM...no the cache...no the RAM. What's dees, they are one and the same. On the low-end (low-end of what?), there will be two giga something. The high-end (what is a high-end?), a man in jeans is saying, will run at feeefty geeega hortz. The mother of the board, there will be no mother, not as you know it. The cheeip is the mother; the mother is the cheeip. The man in the jeans is saying, 'its all on the cheeip'. There is thunderous applause at this proclamation. I feel tired now, very tired.

Unfortunately, I had no more cash on hand to revive her. She wearily walked away and that was the last I saw of her. I returned the next day and asked the store manager about her. He told me he'd never heard of her and that no one of that description had ever worked there. I looked up her palm reading place and found that it was now a hair salon. It hadn't been a palm reading place since 1984, when the madame died of a stroke during the super bowl.

Seriously though, I'd love to see a G5, as we speculate it to be, this summer.

Cheers,

Eirik

22. iGav macrumors G3

eirik

heh heh heh.......:p

G5 @ MWNY have to admit though... it has a nice ring to it......:D

23. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Macworld July,

-Powermac G5 dual 1.7ghz

-Powerbook 1ghz+Superdrive

-iMac 1ghz-$1799 800mhz-$1499 700mhz-@1299

-iBook 800mhz G3

iMac G3 600mhz-$399.00

-Airport cards no longer an option, it is built in all mac systems across lines

-iNet Apple ISP with iTools Pro

How do I know this?? Steve beamed aboard the Enterprise and told me.

24. quanta macrumors member

Highly Illogical

i just wanted to take the opportunity to point out that this is my 30th post and i am no longer a newbie. Thank you very much.

BTW, i heard (and mind you, this is on good faith as the information comes directly from God) they are going to skip the G5 altogether and go straight to a line of G6s. Honest.

Yee hah!

25. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I just want to mention that the G5 is only supposed to go up to 2GHz so I would not be wishing for a 1.7GHz just yet