Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
To those of you who have had to deal with MacBook problems:

My girlfriend's MacBook (bought within a week of announcement) has, over time, started exhibiting the normal problems (way overheated, random shutting off, etc.). Yesterday, after her computer shut itself off, she got the question mark folder of death. After inspection, I've concluded that the hard drive crashed (or it somehow mysteriously dismounted itself...not exactly a likely possibility).

I couldn't call Apple today, being labor day. The MacBook is still under the limited warranty, of course. For those who have had to send MacBooks back in (after the 14 days), what has been their response?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Based on the apparent symptoms, they'll simply repair it for her and send it back to her. Repair time varies based on backlog and part availability, but generally ranges from just a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

Reno404

macrumors member
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
My MacBook's logic board bursted, after it had already been sent back once for the same problems you mention. At appleCare, they say i'm not eligible for a replacement yet. I wrote to Apple telling them a repair was not an acceptable solution. No answer yet.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Reno404 said:
My MacBook's logic board bursted, after it had already been sent back once for the same problems you mention. At appleCare, they say i'm not eligible for a replacement yet. I wrote to Apple telling them a repair was not an acceptable solution. No answer yet.

Well if that's what you agreed to (as in Apple will repair in case of defect) when you bought it then they are not obligated to give you a replacement until you are eligible for one.

Sad but true

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Reno404 said:

Was yours the one with the molten crack on its casing? You really should have spread the pictures around more and try to garner more attention to it.. "Exploding Macbook!", "American man declares Macbook FIRE HAZARD!", "Insurance companies raise premiums for Macbook owners!"

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
See if they will declare it a DOA machine ... it is always worth a shot if the problems developed in the first few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.