Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has opened registration for its annual Apple Camp three-day workshops where kids aged 8 to 12 can visit a retail store and learn how to make movies or create interactive books using software such as GarageBand, iBooks Author and iMovie on iPad and Mac. This year's two free workshops are called "Stories in Motion with iMovie" and "Interactive Storytelling with iBooks."

Apple-Camp-Retail-2015.jpg

Apple's summer workshops will be hosted between 11 AM and 12:30 PM local time, on various dates from July 20 to August 7, in the United States, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom. Parents are recommended to sign up early since space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.

"Stories in Motion with iMovie" teaches kids how to create their own movies, ranging from storyboarding ideas and shooting video to creating an original soundtrack in GarageBand on an iPad and editing in iMovie on a Mac. "Interactive Storytelling with iBooks" shows kids how to create their own interactive books by drawing illustrations on an iPad and adding sound effects and Multi-Touch features using iBooks Author.

Apple notes that children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the duration of each workshop.

Article Link: Apple Retail Announces 2015 Interactive Summer Camps for Kids

Last edited:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Great idea. Set them up for a sedentary life style before puberty...staring at a screen all summer instead of getting out into the REAL world.

Do people like you even bother reading the article before bashing whatever Apple does?

11:00 am - 12:30 pm - these numbers might be hard to comprehend for you but for most normal people it says "not really that much time of a day".

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
These workshops can only be a good thing giving kids hands on knowledge to help them be more creative and productive.

I agree too that they still need to be outside away from technology exploring and appreciating life, but these are only short sessions in the day to just give an introduction to these tools.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
oh yea, it sure looks like there really enthusiastic..

So, Apples workshops are turning into a play-pen for kids to roam free too ? Its getting kinda crowded.

Remember, ask your parents for permission :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Tech is the "REAL" world.
Indeed, but Apple is not the "REAL" World

PC's run the world, Apple is the fashion brand, and Apple just want to try and get kids young, to brainwash them, then lock them into it's own means of making money for the company for the future.

You should never use Apple to teach people/young people about real technology tech.
It would be like NIKE making out they know everything about the world of footwear.

Reactions: opeter

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I've read all the comments and I will say this. Unless you've done it, you may want to stop giving opinions. My 16 daughter year did this at 12. She still talks about it and still wears the shirt they're given all the time. It's a very cool 3 days and on the 3rd day, all the kids show their videos and it's hilarious. Some were actually very imaginative. I signed my 8 year old son up without hesitation. The video session is inside but the actual videos are done outside and around the mall.

But sure....let's all of negative....

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
PC's run the world, Apple is the fashion brand, and Apple just want to try and get kids young, to brainwash them, then lock them into it's own means of making money for the company for the future.

You should never use Apple to teach people/young people about real technology tech.
I see. What is so different about "real technology tech"? That it is somewhat more difficult to use? What software should they use to make movies and interactive books in your opinion to be prepared for the real world? Or should they be having fun by creating Excel sheets and Powerpoint presentations instead?

And yes, it's a means to advertise to young people. Big surprise. Yes, it's a way to pull them into the Apple ecosystem. As opposed to pulling them into the Windows ecosystem. Or the Linux ecosystem. You have to pick some operating system at some point. I don't see why it is better to say "Ok, use Windows" just because there is a larger number of Windows PCs in use right now. Actually, I'm rather sure that when it comes to movie production or music production, Macs make up a rather significant portion of what is being used in professional setups.

Reactions: Solomani

SimonDK

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Quite surprised with all the negative outlooks to this.

Just signed my 10 year old daughter up for this.

Not worried about her being indoctrinated into the apple cult as I did that job myself :eek:

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
My son and my niece did this last year and loved it. Still wears the T-Shirt. Thought I'd try and sign them up for this year, but the website it goes to is blocked by our corporate AV as there is malware on it...!

• Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.
  • Return to the page you were previously viewing.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I see. What is so different about "real technology tech"? That it is somewhat more difficult to use? What software should they use to make movies and interactive books in your opinion to be prepared for the real world? Or should they be having fun by creating Excel sheets and Powerpoint presentations instead?

And yes, it's a means to advertise to young people. Big surprise. Yes, it's a way to pull them into the Apple ecosystem. As opposed to pulling them into the Windows ecosystem. Or the Linux ecosystem. You have to pick some operating system at some point. I don't see why it is better to say "Ok, use Windows" just because there is a larger number of Windows PCs in use right now. Actually, I'm rather sure that when it comes to movie production or music production, Macs make up a rather significant portion of what is being used in professional setups.

Because Windows and Linux are open.
They mostly can run on anything from a $20 device to a $20,000+ device.

Not locked into anything, can attach anything, mess with anything (Linux even moreso) and the entire world runs on those devices.

I'm not saying Apple is bad for what it is, a upper end fashion brand, but it is what it is.
Great for some people to do some jobs with.

Or put it this way, All Apple computers vanished overnight and there would be a "blip" around the world whilst we quickly get over it.
All PC's (Windows/Linux) vanished overnight, the world as we know it would simply grind to a halt.

What's more serious and educational in the grand scheme of things to educate children about?

It's fine, but just accept it for the fluffy fashion brand it is, whilst the real world runs on other systems.

Reactions: opeter

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Quite surprised with all the negative outlooks to this.
I think it's quite interesting, actually. People don't really want to pay for anything anymore. They don't want to pay taxes. They don't want to pay for software, music, movies, websites. They don't want to pay for education.

But what happens if you don't pay for anything except for the stuff that you must pay for? Well, everything then will be paid for by companies either directly or through advertisements or sponsorships, because they are the ones who sell you the stuff that you must pay for. So now, apps are free but financed by ads. Streaming services offer ad-financed options. Movies on TV are interrupted by ads or preceeded by ads in the movie theatres. Websites are littered with advertisements. And more and more companies offer "free" stuff like workshops or classes.

And what do people do? They complain about it. Oh those terrible ads in apps, those annoying commercial breaks on TV. Hey, let's install an adblocker for those websites. And how dare a company offer a free workshop? They do that to advertise their brand!! Incredible! Of course, people can send their kids to paid computer classes/workshops/retreats. That kind of stuff is expensive though, so most people seem to choose the route "Let's take the free offer and complain about the reason why it is free."

It's actually a funny thing for a European to watch how this is developing in the US where even charity is being taken over by corporations. So some companies adopt a highway and keep it clean. Others gather their employees to build houses for the homeless. Sure... if people don't want to pay taxes for keeping a highway clean or for housing the homeless, then they will pay a bit more for groceries (i.e. a hidden and unavoidable tax), and Walmart will do it instead. But how dare they use this to advertise their brand?! It's the same with these free workshops: If people invested more into the education system, then schools would offer these kinds of workshops to a large extent, and fewer people would consider sending their kids to a corporate-sponsored event and fewer people would have something to complain about.

Reactions: MarkCollette

SimonDK

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
I think it's quite interesting, actually. People don't really want to pay for anything anymore. They don't want to pay taxes. They don't want to pay for software, music, movies, websites. They don't want to pay for education.

But what happens if you don't pay for anything except for the stuff that you must pay for? Well, everything then will be paid for by companies either directly or through advertisements or sponsorships, because they are the ones who sell you the stuff that you must pay for. So now, apps are free but financed by ads. Streaming services offer ad-financed options. Movies on TV are interrupted by ads or preceeded by ads in the movie theatres. Websites are littered with advertisements. And more and more companies offer "free" stuff like workshops or classes.

And what do people do? They complain about it. Oh those terrible ads in apps, those annoying commercial breaks on TV. Hey, let's install an adblocker for those websites. And how dare a company offer a free workshop? They do that to advertise their brand!! Incredible! Of course, people can send their kids to paid computer classes/workshops/retreats. That kind of stuff is expensive though, so most people seem to choose the route "Let's take the free offer and complain about the reason why it is free."

It's actually a funny thing for a European to watch how this is developing in the US where even charity is being taken over by corporations. So some companies adopt a highway and keep it clean. Others gather their employees to build houses for the homeless. Sure... if people don't want to pay taxes for keeping a highway clean or for housing the homeless, then they will pay a bit more for groceries (i.e. a hidden and unavoidable tax), and Walmart will do it instead. But how dare they use this to advertise their brand?! It's the same with these free workshops: If people invested more into the education system, then schools would offer these kinds of workshops to a large extent, and fewer people would consider sending their kids to a corporate-sponsored event and fewer people would have something to complain about.

Corporate responsibility is basically another way of advertising, the look what we have done placard.

The main problem with have to battle is synisism.

I'll take this for what it is a chance for my daughter to do something I don't have to pay for.

SimonDK

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Because Windows and Linux are open.
They mostly can run on anything from a $20 device to a $20,000+ device.

Not locked into anything, can attach anything, mess with anything (Linux even moreso) and the entire world runs on those devices.

I'm not saying Apple is bad for what it is, a upper end fashion brand, but it is what it is.
Great for some people to do some jobs with.

Or put it this way, All Apple computers vanished overnight and there would be a "blip" around the world whilst we quickly get over it.
All PC's (Windows/Linux) vanished overnight, the world as we know it would simply grind to a halt.

What's more serious and educational in the grand scheme of things to educate children about?

It's fine, but just accept it for the fluffy fashion brand it is, whilst the real world runs on other systems.

Why do you feel the need to post this drivel? You seem so confident that the world supports your reasoning, let us weirdos use are inept tech in peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.