Apple Retail Store vs. Circuit City

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by oriol, Feb 12, 2005.

1. oriol macrumors member

Jan 5, 2005
    right behind ya!
    can someone tell me what are the difference between circuit city and apple store? i want to buy a powerbook but the apple retail store is far away and circuit city is 5 minutes from my house.

can i get EDU discount at circuit city?

the warranty and the prices will be the same?

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't believe there's much of a difference at all. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

The prices should be the same, though Circuit City may offer different warranties. Some stores/magazines will offer deals that Apple doesn't, like a free 512MB upgrade or a free Epson printer. Shop around, or just head over to your local Circuit City and ask 'em.
  3. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2005
    To the best of my knowledge no you will not get a student discount from any giant computer store. The cool thing is you usually have a little more room to negotiate the price....mmm..but you probably are better of with the edu discount from Apple.

If you have never been to an Apple store, do it! The experience is totally different. The enviroment and multitude of Apple machinery on hand is amazing, you got a much better feel for what the "Apple Lifestyle" is like, and it is pretty good livin. Also get the advantage of Apple minded techs and sales staff that are focused on selling one product. However, I was suprised that a sales kid at Best Buy totally pushed me towards a mac when I mentioned I was considering a powerbook, he was like "Dude, I know we sell only pc's but once you go Apple you will never go back." Too boot he also told me about being a student developer and getting extra cash off a system purchase. I was impressed.

If you happen to have a computer store that has an apple only section, can be a gold mine to finding some great deals. I went to Microcenter and their mac section was impressive and had the just outdated powerbooks at some impressive discounts, which were about equivilant with my EDU.

Ultimatley if you know what you want shop around online you will fined a better price in my opinion. If you just want to try out systems and get a feel it is worth taking a trip to an Apple store.

good luck