apple retail store

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jelloshotsrule, May 10, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my first experience with the apple retail store was on opening day in tysons corner. and i was in awe... heck, i still am. but i just returned from there, and i have a few complaints...

1. my brother has been having a problem with his wall street battery. so he went in to see if in fact the problem is the battery, and they didn't have any charged batteries to test it with. they had like 6-8 batteries, but they didn't have a charger for them, as apple would not give them one...

2. so said brother wanted to get a top of the line powerbook.... ie 800 with 60 GB hard drive and such... and they didn't have one. you can only get one online.

that being said, i think both things are a bit weak. they suggested trying a few other local apple resellers that might be able to help with the battery... but come on, this is the apple store itself. shouldn't THEY of all people be prepared?

i could understand them being out of the powerbooks fully loaded, but never having them seems a bit weak. the idea of going in there and walking out with a new computer (especially one as awesome and "apple" as the tibook) is just great. but to go in, and find out you can't, is that much more of a let down...

just my thoughts. i still want to work at the nyc one once it opens though. of course i don't see it happening.... dare to dream

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

My father kind of had the same problem with an Apple store here around the Maine-NH area (I'm on vacation again!). When my dad forgot to bring up the power supply for his Powerbook G3 400 he tried driving a full hour to the nearest Apple store, which was in NH. It turned out that no power supply was available.

And I think jelloshotsrule may have a point. Why would Apple have stores built for people to buy Apple products from if they cannot carry Apple products? And these products are not even 6 or 7 years old yet. Some people have problems with Apple products, such as misplacement, or replacement. But all that these Apple stores are doing is an understatement.

I do not mean to sound that negative, but I think that although some people come to Apple stores for the new, they also need to carry backup supplies for what is old and not current.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, i don't expect to have them out and on display, but at least able to properly test things. i realize they're not really repair stores or anything, but i would think if they are going to have batteries, have a freaking plug... that just seems dumb.

and the powerbook being new... at least have one of them, and be able to special order through the store, if for no other reason than to be able to pick it up there if you WANT to go in and come out with that amazing piece of computing in your hands.

on the plus side, i got some blank dvds there and the bag they gave me is sweet. a sort of blue, semi transparent plastic bag with the apple on it and a tie top.... and "apple.com" all around the top..

oh, back 2 da mac... they didn't have shirts. at least not out... sorry :(

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

When I was looking to get my new TiBook last week, I called the Apple store in NH and they had plenty of the 800MHz models, standard issue. Nothing different then the base models that you start with online.

Did you ask if they had any standard issue/off-the-shelf 800MHz TiBooks?? If you wanted it loaded right away, they might not have the 60GB drives to toss in, and RAM from Apple is a bit expensive (compared to where you can get it everywhere else).

The easiest way to charge a battery is inside the laptop that it goes into. Considering how long ago the PBG3 Wallstreets were out there, and how long it has been since they were discontinued, I'm not surprised that they don't have a dedicated charger for those batteries. I don't remember if there ever was one available from anyone, let alone Apple.

5. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

VST had dual slot chargers for the wallstreet batteries.. but yes, that was 4 years ago. I would bet they have no way to test or charge PISMO batteries, let alone Wallstreet batteries. Nor do I hold that against them... they are in the business of selling computers, not repairing them... and while that might seem glib, it's the way it is.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Mac Geniuses

My machead friends and I have some gripes about the "geniuses" in the Apple stores.

First off, their hiring requirements are...for lack of a better term "different":
    Great for a salesperson and a Mac zealot, but where does tech support figure into it?

Apple has sent the message that these people are technicians, since they encourage customers to come to them with questions and tech problems. You know what I've seen them do with most problems? Refer the customer to local Mac repair shops.

One time we asked them a simple questions about RAID, and we just got blank looks in return. Their main tech support tool is Apple's kbase for crying out loud!

In short: Apple stores need more genius, less bar.

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i see what you're saying alpha.

yeah, it was the 60 gb drive that was holding it up. i'm just saying, why not have a couple of those around? i could see not having AS MANY of them as they might not sell as many and/or they're more expensive and such... but i mean, to NEVER have them seems a bit crappy.

as far as the battery charger... i see all the points. it's just frustrating cause it IS an apple store. and yet we came out with empty hands basically...

oh well.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Every time I go into the Apple Store I end up coming out thinking of it more of an Apple Art Gallery and less of a store. I would never buy a Apple there, its more expensive, period. Online or at CompUSA you can get special deals, printers, more RAM etc. that you can't get at the Apple store.

How can they compete? It just doesn't make sense. I love going in to look, just like an art gallery, all the nice decor and everything out on the tables to play with. The only time I bought something there was when I lost my TiPB power cable and needed a new one. The convenience was nice, just hop over and pick one up.

But the bottom line is Apple needs to serious realize that they need to work at making the store a viable place to purchase hardware rather than just showing it off.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The first, and only, time I went to the Apple retail store, I was going to get more memory for my Rev. A TiBook. They were charging almost double for the memory, and wouldn't open the package so that I could visually confirm that it was the one I needed. I ended up passing on the memory from them, but I did grab an iPod that day, along with a couple of software updates (OS X native versions) to Illustrator and Bryce. I was able to find a better price for the rev. c TiBook that I now own from another seller, so I picked it up there last Friday.

I do agree that Apple should give their stores and edge for selling products, not just the atmosphere there. Never mind the fact that it appears they are the first stores to receive product. Have the same deals as the online store, such as instant rebates, and some customizing options for systems (memory and drives would be good, at least on towers if not laptops too).

I don't know what qualifies the retail location's "tech's" as "geniuses" but I have a feeling that I would be over-qualified for that position. It seems like I know more about the product that they are supposed to support then they do. Sad ain't it?

I typically shop around when it comes to purhases, especially when we are talking more then $30. I have been known to check several online sources before going to local ones, and unless the local can at least match, or come damned close, to the online end price, I buy online. I factor in the shipping charge to get the online item in the same time frame as the local, and adjust the amount I am willing to spend accordingly. I had one of the guys from Mowhawk Memory deliver some computer parts to me Thursday after they closed (he came to my apartment), since I couldn't get to where they were in time, and I have spent more then a little money there over the past two years. The power supply (needed one for the peecee case, since it didn't ship with one) got upgraded from a 330 watt to a 380 watt because they had to use the 330 that I was going to purchase. It didn't cost me a cent more (normally a $20+ cost difference), and I got the processor that I wanted. I ended up getting a better deal then I would have online, with a bonus of supporting a local shop that has done well by me (and the company I work for) in the past and will continue to do so. I suppose it doesn't hurt that we ordered up gobs of memory from them only a week or two ago (to the sum of over $12k). They were grinning from ear to ear from that sale, and I know the owner of that shop. The ability to go to the shop, or call them up, and have them know me is a very good thing. Besides, I like to bash the salesman with one of the women there. He is an easy target after all, and takes it in stride.

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    here's the rub

what tech certified or even highly knowledgable mac persons are gonna work for ( let's say) $8.00 an hour in a retail store? i don't know how many people have ever worked retail in a technically oriented field, but its the worst of all possible jobs. long hours on your feet, no or low commission, endless questions( from people who will then use your information and order it for $5.00 cheaper off the internet) and so on. its the worst of all possible sadistic hells.

the apple stores could likely have astute employees if they paid a compatible wage-but when it comes to making the #'s work the easiest money to save is in wages.

sad isn't it?

11. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Apple Retail prices

Yeah... I wound up paying about $120 more at the Tampa Apple store for my iBook than I would have had I bought it online. I was kind of pissed, but I also know I usually have to pay a price for my ridiculous lack of patience. :)

12. prechrchet macrumors regular

My Apple store Experience

My wife and I went to the new store in Atlanta today, and we were both impressed. Its great to be able to find a place with a good software selection.

There were numerous Macs out on display, and people were fooling around with them. However when we went to check out, the cashier tried to ring us up, but there was an older couple that had mistaken his cash register for a display model. He kind of looked at us, then looked at them and said (nicely, and with a smile), "And this is our cash register. We use this to check customers out."

We left laughing. :)

Chet

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

3rdpath, if that is what they pay their tech's/geniuses, that is pathetic. Then again, that might be all they are worth. I get many times that figure, although being salaried you can't always tie it down to an hourly rate. If I only worked the hours that corporate says to, my hourly rate would be higher. I typically work between 40 and 60 hours a week (sometimes even longer). One of the good things about being salaried, is I don't have to keep track of my time. If I need to do something for a few hours in the middle of the day, or leave a little early, that is not a problem. Then again, I also make sure that things are in a good condition before I do that.

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Gotta love being salaried. Even though I support a lab environment with certain open hours, I'm not required to be there during all of those hours (thank god). I'm free to take classes towards me degree, and come back and put more hours in later if I want to.

If the geniuses aren't intended to be tech support, as their skill set and payrate indicate, why are they there? Just to pass customers along to other support resources?

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    yup, i think its the warm body syndrome--just have the people there to steer customers to the cash register. its sad, because i know many smart concerned people start in jobs like that but bail as soon as another opportunity appears( or just bail...). the attrition rate is high which then means you have a steady flow of new people unfamiliar with the items they're selling. and so the cycle goes.....

thats what first brought me to the macrumor site. every time i asked retail people specific questions, they looked at me much like a dog looks at a ceiling fan....huh?.... having said that can i say "thanks" to you guys for being so forthcoming with your hard earned knowledge.

now the thing that really scares me is---YOU guys have questions?

re: salaried jobs. man, i've been freelance for so long i don't know what a steady paycheck would feel like. sounds like you guys have earned your stripes and can do it as you please; thats really the best of all situations. theres an interesting book on the future of work situations ( especially for the tech fields) called Free Agent Nation. an interesting read that first started in the magazine "fast company"( i think its one of the best biz mags out there-really geared for the mac-mindset).

well, this week i have a job so its back to work.......:D

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When I first heard about the Genius Bars I thought great, that'll be a good place to go and ask questions when I have some problems. I had been having some issues with FCP 2.0 with the audio, so I figured I go over and check out the store first hand and try and play 'stump the genius'. Well, before I even got to take my first visit to the Apple store, I found an answer to the problem on line. So when I finally got around to getting to the store, I asked the question anyway, to see what would happen.

Living up to my expectation, the geniuses didn't have an answer, claiming FCP wasn't really something they new that much about. I thanked them for their help and continued around the store, checking out the new software and playing with the macs.

10 minutes later the same guy I had been talking with at the genius bar comes up to me and tells me that he had found some tech docs that addressed the problem. These were the same one I had found months ago. I went over and looked at them, talked with him for a little bit and thanked him again.

I will give them a point on effort. I was really impressed that he went to all the trouble to find out what he could on the problem then track me down once he had found it. Score one for the Clarendon store. If this is any indication of the type of employee they have, Apple will do ok in their stores. To find someone dedicated enough to go the extra step is a big thing. Hopefully they'll get some in store specials on the hardware and such to make it a much more viable computer purchasing environment.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's one of the best suggestions I've heard in a while.

I love the stores, in that I can go and see the latest and greatest in person and get some hands on time with the hardware (I even open up the PowerMacs to take a peek inside if they haven't gotten around to locking them yet). Buying from the stores is not always the best thing to do, since online vendors are much more aggressive in pricing and specials.

If Apple starts making special promos just for the stores, I would be more inclined to consider a purchase there, rather than elsewhere.

18. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

agreed, the main reason my brother was going to get his tibook from the store was the whole "instant gratification" thing, which maybe is good that he couldn't get it, in hindsight... but still.

the better deal, or package deals, or something, would make it much more attractive to shop there.

we looked at macmall's website while in the store and found some package deals, none of which were exactly too good to pass up, nor do i think they were on the 60 gb hard drive model, but still... at least they have something.