Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Hmmm not sure about this. So the same accessories, having new packaging just for the Apple Store. How is this good for the enviroment? Just so it looks good in an Apple Store . As someone mentioned above, just putting lipstick on a pig.

I'd prefer these accessories are not mistaken as apple accessories!

Reactions: studio¹³¹

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
nope not confused. Maybe your labling / writing is the problem
see what I did there ;) haha

edit - I see you went back to edit your post so you don't look so stupid. Nice one. Not.

I added for clarity so you wouldn't be confused.

"Not." High school?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Cue the people who refuse to accept that marketing and design are important, yet are owners of multiple Apple products and don't realize the irony.
And where is the irony? People buy Apple products hopefully for the product itself, not because the packaging and marketing was so amazing. If that's the case then that's pretty shallow and wasteful.

Reactions: 69Mustang and sss4r

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Cue the people who refuse to accept that marketing and design are important, yet are owners of multiple Apple products and don't realize the irony.

This is diluting the brand though, no?

It becomes, 'well it looks like an Apple product, but I can't be sure unless I read the back' vs. 'THAT is an Apple product', from several metres away.

I'm no brand expert, mind you. Just seems strange to heavily associate the best brand in the world* with nobody brands, deemed to offer much lower quality products - such as Logitech.

* Apparently

Reactions: Zxxv

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Would I sound foolish for thinking that Apple retail stores have become almost too upmarket? I know, high standards are something that every company aspires for, but to me they're just so sterile and unfriendly (that applies to both the staff and the surroundings).

I'm from U.K - would love to hear others thoughts.

I find the London stores to be a tourist attraction, well Covent Garden and regent street.

I find the stores a bit pointless, recently everytime I have gone in to have a look at a new product , which in this case was the MB, they did not have any instore for 2 weeks. And I find the staff actively push you to buy online.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I find the London stores to be a tourist attraction, well Covent Garden and regent street.

I find the stores a bit pointless, recently everytime I have gone in to have a look at a new product , which in this case was the MB, they did not have any instore for 2 weeks. And I find the staff actively push you to buy online.

That is only the MacBook.

Just pop down to Oxford Street John Lewis - five minute walk from Regent Street Apple Store. They've had all models regularly in stock since early May when I picked mine up. Extra year warranty too.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
That is only the MacBook.

Just pop down to Oxford Street John Lewis - five minute walk from Regent Street Apple Store. They've had all models regularly in stock since early May when I picked mine up. Extra year warranty too.

I prefer to buy in the Apple Store as I get a discount and 14 day return policy.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Balmy move by Apple.

What on earth is wrong with a little colour? They are becoming more totalitarian by the day. Dictating the packaging for third parties is creepy.

Perhaps next time I have a dinner party, I’ll suggest to my guests that they all dye their hair blonde so as to fit in with my yellow curtains. Dinner will consist of macaroni cheese followed by white chocolate Magnums, accompanied by Avocat. I'm sure they'll be delighted.

Last edited:

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Hmmm not sure about this. So the same accessories, having new packaging just for the Apple Store. How is this good for the enviroment? Just so it looks good in an Apple Store . As someone mentioned above, just putting lipstick on a pig.

I'd prefer these accessories are not mistaken as apple accessories!
It's common practice for retailers to have packaging requirements. Some retailers create and package products themselves, and the manufacturer pays the cost to do so. Usually with co-op funds, but not always.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's common practice for retailers to have packaging requirements. Some retailers create and package products themselves, and the manufacturer pays the cost to do so. Usually with co-op funds, but not always.

All the tech gear I have bought, I have never seen different packaging. Not saying it does not exist, just have not seen it myself.

Reactions: Gaspode67

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
All the tech gear I have bought, I have never seen different packaging. Not saying it does not exist, just have not seen it myself.
It isn't always tech gear, Costco and Sam's Club are two examples of retailers that package non-tech items. In my experience with a former employer, a consumer electronics company. Carriers, big box, online, and clubs had their own requirements.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It isn't always tech gear, Costco and Sam's Club are two examples of retailers that package non-tech items. In my experience with a former employer, a consumer electronics company. Carriers, big box, online, and clubs had their own requirements.
Fair enough, I think I only paid attention to tech purchases :) I guess I have never really paid attention to other packaging, thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
This is diluting the brand though, no?

It becomes, 'well it looks like an Apple product, but I can't be sure unless I read the back' vs. 'THAT is an Apple product', from several metres away.

I'm no brand expert, mind you. Just seems strange to heavily associate the best brand in the world* with nobody brands, deemed to offer much lower quality products - such as Logitech.

* Apparently

I think you may be right about brand dilution.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Not sure what you're trying to get at with this but packaging has many more functions than just marketing and design.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
That picture of the Upper East Side store makes me think of a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits story with Androids.

Which if you think about it is bloody ironic.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
This woman, being simultaneously ignored by 2 employees, and being checked out by the other 2...
uppereastsidestore.jpg

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Seriously he's right - when you deal with the general public on a daily basis you realise that you cant even over simply things to the point of patronising them. You can't patronise them, they're literally morons. If you think you've over explained something multiple ways, they'll still find a way not to understand it.
We are a manufacturer of custom systems. This morning I got a call from a customer who we'd shipped to last week. He could not make it run. After debugging it with him for a few minutes I realized that he had logged in as User not Administrator. The instructions say 1: Power on system. 2: Log on as Administrator using **** as the password. We had taped a copy of this page from the manual to the keyboard so he could not miss it. But he did.

Reactions: studio¹³¹

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
There's no way that picture from the Manhattan store is legit. If it's anything like the Apple Stores here in Nashville, it needs about 300 more people in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.