Apple Retail Update

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 11, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is continuing its expansion of its retail presence with the May 19th grand opening of its 5th Avenue flagship store. The store is planned to be gargantuan, with Apple having secured 20,000 square feet of underground retail space with a stylish metal and glass "cube" above ground. Appleinsider has previously reported that Steve Jobs was mulling making a trip to New York for the opening.

Of note, May 19th has recently been speculated as a possible new release date for the MacBook (Thinksecret believes it will be next tuesday). If this speculation pans out, the grand opening could also serve as a launching point for the much anticipated Macbook.

On the international front, ifoAppleStore.com reports that France may receive an Apple store by the end of 2006 and another in 2007.

2. macrumors member

JoshH

Does anyone have pictures of the exterior of the new store?

3. macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

I think it's still covered by these black panels making it look like the 2001 monolyth.

4. macrumors member

JoshH

Ahhh... so we can jump around awestruck and mystified by its presence. Touch it. Jump back. Make some noise.

It's fitting, really.

5. macrumors 601

DMann

Stunning

I've seen it, and it will be
    quite extraordinary.

6. macrumors 6502a

SuperSnake2012

I'm going to the opening just for the possibility of meeting Steve Jobs :D :cool:

7. macrumors 65816

runninmac

Even when the covers were over it a month ago I could sense the awsomeness from it. I think the construction workers were giving me weird looks because I was taking so many pictures:cool:

PS: That would be a sweet release date for the MacBook!

God if i lived their I would be in line 2 days early just to be sure to get a glimpse of him!

8. macrumors 6502

fanbrain

I wish all these events were closer to home. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away. This makes me want to take a trip...

9. macrumors 68040

iSee

I can't believe they'll release the MB on a Friday--they almost always release things Mon-Wed. Stuff that happens on a Friday gets a lot less press than stuff released other days.

I guess you never know with Apple, but with their ability to get product announcements covered by all the tech press, why squander that with a Friday release?

Anyway, I work in the city (for two more weeks--thank god I won't have to do this LONG commute too much longer! Also my new job will involve a lot more Mac development work :) ) to I think I'll go. Just in case! :D

10. macrumors 6502

Sweet! Maybe I'll take the day off of work and make it an all-day affair.

11. Editor emeritus

longofest

They have released OS upgrades on Saturdays, remember :). Remember, that second paragraph is pretty much all speculation based on the fact that its around the time that the Macbooks are expected, it is going to be getting press coverage anyways, and the fact that Jobs is planning to be there.

Who knows, jobs might just be there for his beloved glass cube, but it might be more...

12. macrumors regular

GooMan

I feel your pain. The closest Apple store to me is in Atlanta, 2 hours away too. :(
    I was there a few weeks ago and did not want to leave.

13. macrumors 6502a

Well Tuesday it is then - those guys never seem to put a foot wrong.

Just hope that new building is well lit so that the low flying pigs don't crash into it.

14. macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

15. macrumors 601

liketom

QT Pro users beware

QuickTime 7.1 delivers numerous important bug fixes and addresses critical security issues. This update is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users
    Installation of QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.

16. macrumors G5

nagromme

I suppose there must be a light shaft descending from the cube giving natural light to the levels below. And supposedly the elevator itself is glass, so there's ONLY glass above ground?

Should we start a pool on how long before a sci-fi movie does shooting there?

17. macrumors 6502

Mac Fly (film)

Where's the apple logo? ;-)

18. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe I'm an idiot... (don't respond to that! :p ), but when I read the earlier piece on this, I thought the cube was supposed to be INSIDE the white building that's apparently behind it. :eek:

19. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Well, it's clearly more 'obvious' than the Soho store, which looks just like a post office, except for a small apple logo hanging out. Instinctively, I entered the building, however, but for non-Apple people, it could be a trick.

I guess you could look for that weird statue with 12 breasts and 6 butts that's across the street, and use that as a landmark for the Soho store.

20. macrumors 6502a

bill4588

i wonder what the store will look like in 10 years? cuz glass will get scratched EASILY...so will the outside have scratches and cracks all over it? will the glass staircase be all messed up? do u have any idea how much windex apple will have to buy?! will SJ invest thousands of dollars to keep it looking brand new?

21. macrumors member

MacBooks?

How about Jobs announcing MacBooks at the opening?

22. macrumors 601

liketom

never mind about that - i wonder if apple want to pay me to clean there windows for them ( no pun intended ):D

23. macrumors regular

Just like the iPods :)

24. macrumors 68020

freeny

Stores like this in Manhattan usually have a crew of cleaners that clean glass windows etc every single day:eek: I expect nothing less here. Also glass is very durable. Sky scrapers here have had windows up for 20-30-50 years+ with no scratches.;)

This is just a 15 minute walk uptown for me (as well as some other MR members) So perhaps Ill take a walk up next Friday and record the events. Ill load the pics on MR afterwords...... Anyone really interested?

25. Editor emeritus

longofest

Did you read the article???

Caprica baby!