Apple return policy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akadmon, Nov 5, 2006.

?

When returning a Mac (withing 14 days of purchase), I

Poll closed Feb 3, 2007.
  1. Received a full refund (no questions asked)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Had to pay a restocking fee

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Received a replacement on the spot

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Had to wait for a replacement more than 1 week

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm considering buying a stock 17" C2D MPB as soon as they appear at my local (sort of) Apple Store ( I live in MA, but am looking to purchase my MBP in the beautifully tax free NH). I currently do not own a Mac (I guess you could call me a switcher, though I have used Macs before, between 1987 and 1996). I've been monitoring the MBP threads for a while, and I am becoming increasingly concerned about reports of various problems with the MBP screens, primarily uneven backlighting. So to make the long story short, I would like to know if, in case I am not fully satisfied with my MBP, I can return it for a full refund.

I understand that the official Apple policy states that I would have to pay a restocking fees, but it strikes me that such an anti-consumer policy is simply bad business, and that Apple must realize that, in the long run, it is in their interest to simply refund the money, rather than deal with a "difficult" customer who is going to demand a replacement after a replacement after a replacement (etc. etc. etc.) until he/she is fully satisfied.

I would like to know what people's experience has been with Apple returns, i.e., were you forced to go through the hassle of getting your machine replaced (assuming it's not a CTO and you came back to complain within the 2 week window after the purchase)/ repaired (assuming it was CTO)/were forced to pay the restocking fee, or were able to get your money back "no questions asked".

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

generally apple has really good returns and the new amcbook pros have had no issues so far, at elast from what i have seen. Oh, beside one key being a bit hard to press ;), but in case you would have bad backlight you take it back in apple should replace it without any fees or the likes. congratualtions, wish i could afford that machine.

3. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I thought that if you returned any Mac within 14 days you got a full refund no questions asked.

If its defective there shouldn't be any problems getting it fixed or your money back.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Within 14 days you have the option to return it, no questions asked, but if it's a fully working machine and you've just changed your mind, there's a 10% restocking fee. If you have problems with the machine, however, you should be able to get the restocking fee waived.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think I voted incorrectly on your poll, but I bought a 12'' PB once, and it had a dead pixel, and I was offered a replacement, which was all I wanted.

6. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

This is my concern precisely. What happens if my MBP appears to be within what Apple considers "normal", yet is not to my satisfaction? Screen appearance can be viewed (no pun intended) as something completely subjective. You may think it's OK, while I feel I can't live with a particular flaw. So if the "genius" over there says it looks fine to him, while I say it looks like crap to me, do I have a (legitimate) problem and get my money back?

7. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I called 1-800-myapple and they said I had 14 days to return my Macbook pro if I wanted to return it but I'd have to pay the 10% restocking fee and I had to pay for shipping! (I ordered from the website).

The Stig

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Would probably depend on the manager working. To be honest, though, probably not. I say that not from personal experience, however, but from user accounts on here when the MBs had so many problems (more specifically: whine and moo). Many users wanted refunds or replacements, and were not given either because Apple was not yet recognizing them as known issues, and instead these were classified as "within spec." Within spec = no problem = refund only because you've changed your mind = restocking fee is incurred (as Apple sees it).

But, again, this probably depends on the manager and how persuading you are. It's at the manager's discretion to waive the fee or not, so if you can talk him on to your side, you should be fine... no guarantees, though.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can't post, you've got cars to drive!

10. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

When I returned my ACD, I had to pay the 10% restocking fee.

11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

When my MacBook suffered from random shutdown, I said I didn't want it so they gave me a new one - no questions asked. They didn't even test it, and they transferred the AppleCare for me too.

I think AppleCare makes a big difference in the attitude you get...

12. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Busted iPod Nano screen 3 days out of warranty - replaced on the spot. So I give them thumbs up. Never had to take the computer in (knock on wood).