Apple Risking iOS 7 Delays With Jony Ive's Design Overhaul

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Over the past several months, rumors of Jony Ive's influence on iOS 7 as part of his new role overseeing user interface design in addition to hardware have surfaced, indicating that Ive is pushing to adopt a "flatter" design that will modernize the look of iOS.

In a lengthy report, Bloomberg now notes that this major effort to remake iOS puts Apple at risk of delaying the launch of iOS 7. While a public launch is said to currently remain on schedule for "as soon as September", Apple's internal deadlines have been pushed back as Apple's software teams race to complete their work and ready a preview for next month's Worldwide Developers Conference.
    The report also corroborates previous claims from Daring Fireball's John Gruber regarding engineers being pulled from OS X projects to bolster the iOS 7 effort, as well as his claim that the software changes in iOS 7 are significant enough that testers are using devices with special films over the screens to make it more difficult for those around them to see their displays.

[​IMG]
    Sources indicate to Bloomberg that Apple may ultimately have to push back to a later iOS version some of Ive's desired changes such as a complete remake of the iOS email app in order to have iOS 7 ready on time, and that Ive is also exploring some future concepts such as gesture controls that do not require touching the device's display.

Finally, the report briefly describes a March town hall meeting at Apple in which Jony Ive uncharacteristically took the lead to preside over a two-hour presentation about the changes that are underway. As previously noted, Ive is also sitting in on Apple's software design meetings, reportedly offering his input without forcing his ideas, and also giving software teams greater access to his hardware plans in order to increase collaboration.

Article Link: Apple Risking iOS 7 Delays With Jony Ive's Design Overhaul

2. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Do what you must, Jony

3. macrumors regular

Hell ya - this is necessary. This delay is more important than a hardware delay...

4. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

I'd rather they take their time and deliver something solid than something half-baked.

5. macrumors G5

Best news is a complete overhaul of email.

I wouldn't mind them delaying iOS7 to have that included at ALL.

6. macrumors 68020

Rather see a delay and the software perfected then rush it and be half baked and bug filled.

7. macrumors regular

SunshineFires

Let the man do his thing

8. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

Anyone else miss Steve Jobs? When he was around it was more or less certain things would be done mostly right.

Nowadays... we just don't know. They might completely screw things up.

I know one thing for sure; I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 until I've heard some reports from others about it!

9. DenisAuermann, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

10. macrumors regular

Take your time, rather a good delayed iOS 7 than a crappy one with an iOS 8 which they call the 7 they could've make with some extra more time.

11. macrumors 6502

Based on his title at Apple, I am under the impression that Jony is now running the show at Apple. From what we've heard, it's clear that he works with the surface layer of what all users see, which is what matters most when you buy any device.

Now he just needs to be the one to run the keynotes.

12. macrumors G5

We never knew. This forum is filled with speculation, excitement and disappointment.

13. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

I prefer waiting a couple of month than introducing the new design with iOS 8.

14. macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Let the man do his job.

15. macrumors 6502

Wait, flatter design? So iOS7 is going to look like Windows 8? :confused::confused::confused:

16. macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

It should make for an exciting beta process.

17. macrumors member

I'm loving all this iOS 7 news. I would much rather they take their time and make it a finished product rather than a half-decent, rushed one.

18. macrumors 6502

My humble opinion

I've been with them on the last few updates, keeping the UI the same, but I think the time has come for a few changes. Easier access to controls (e.g. brightness) and easier access to information from the lock screen (say, 3 custom gestures that could be made over the image on the lock screen for your preferred tasks) would make my use of my iPhone just so much quicker!

I'm not a jailbreaker, and I'm against it as a concept, but Apple should take a look at some mods available on jailbroken devices - 99% rubbish, but theres a few mods they could learn from.

19. macrumors 604

bushido

thank god

20. macrumors member

Sigh. No. The dock in Mountain Lion is flat compared to Lion. Think of things like that.

21. macrumors 68000

i hope they axe newsstand all together. email doesnt need a complete redo it just needs some new features and tweaks. The settings app needs a complete redo

22. macrumors 68030

Then put it on a 5 inch screen. After having this HTC One for 2 weeks, I honestly will never go back to a 4 inch screen.

23. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No. It's explained pretty well here

24. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

on a similar note, Ive needs to be leading the keynotes.

25. macrumors 6502a

It takes awhile to get gray on gray correct.