Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
It sounds like what you're saying is that "flatter" is synonymous with "blander". I don't know why Apple would want to make iOS into a cheap looking fisher-price "My first Smartphone" like Android

Im not saying that at all. Its funny you mention Fisher Price, XP was called "Fisher Price" and it was all glossy with rounded corners.

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Hopefully they will show us what iOS 7 will look like at WWDC 2013. Or at least give us information on what we should expect.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't think they should release until it is ready. If it is not ready yet don't release it. No need to rush stuff out.

Thank you. This applies to iOS and OS X development. Annual releases have not worked and do not work, as demonstrated by Apple's recent move since 10.7 and other companies whose name shall not be mentioned. Release cycles benefit no one if the release is dodgy. Learn from past mistakes and revert to pre 10.7 development with all OS releases - don't rush it, produce a solid system.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
.flac on a phone..? Why?

Because that's the way they are on my hard drive, and converting them just to have them on the phone for a while is silly.

And besides, sometimes I plug my phone in to the sound system.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I agree that it seems like Ive is now running the show in terms of overall software and hardware look and feel. This is basically a big part of what Jobs did, right? Jobs wasn't dabbling in code and soldering together hardware components. He was overseeing the look and feel of both the software and hardware.

I think it would be great to have Ive do at least some parts of the keynotes/product introductions, but I can't believe Apple would not continue to have the CEO preside over some parts.

Hopefully Ive will be able to push Apple personnel to put forth their best efforts like Jobs did with, perhaps, a little less animosity and fear! ;)

I agree that Tim still needs stage time, but Schiller always has so much because of his job title and charisma. That being said, Ive's new title now presides over a lot of what's discussed at the keynotes, and he is a pretty good public speaker.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I'd say at least one mail app change needed is being able to mark something as junk. Why can you only flag it or mark it as unread on your ios device.

At least change that for iOS7!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Anyone else miss Steve Jobs? When he was around it was more or less certain things would be done mostly right. Nowadays... we just don't know. They might completely screw things up.....

There's definitely uncertainty in the wind, and I'm not sure I like it, either. One thing I am sure of: the expectations of Jony Ive are off the charts, and I hope for his sake and ours, that he can deliver. The man has brought us impeccable hardware, thereby raising the bar.

When his first software ventures are released, we'll get some idea if his talents are going way beyond just hardware.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
make iOS into a cheap looking fisher-price "My first Smartphone" like Android

Toys R Us My First Smartphone was exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the Lumina phones.

but looking at Yahoos weather app design on a retina display is even more stunning.

I agree. It's a brilliant piece of design. Maybe Jony should poach some UI designers from Yahoo!

To paraphrase the old Seiko advert tagline, "Some day, all apps will look this way" :p

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Over the past several months, rumors of Jony Ive's influence on iOS 7 as part of his new role overseeing user interface design in addition to hardware have surfaced, indicating that Ive is pushing to adopt a "flatter" design that will modernize the look of iOS.

In a lengthy report, Bloomberg now notes that this major effort to remake iOS puts Apple at risk of delaying the launch of iOS 7. While a public launch is said to currently remain on schedule for "as soon as September", Apple's internal deadlines have been pushed back as Apple's software teams race to complete their work and ready a preview for next month's Worldwide Developers Conference.The report also corroborates previous claims from Daring Fireball's John Gruber regarding engineers being pulled from OS X projects to bolster the iOS 7 effort, as well as his claim that the software changes in iOS 7 are significant enough that testers are using devices with special films over the screens to make it more difficult for those around them to see their displays.

Sources indicate to Bloomberg that Apple may ultimately have to push back to a later iOS version some of Ive's desired changes such as a complete remake of the iOS email app in order to have iOS 7 ready on time, and that Ive is also exploring some future concepts such as gesture controls that do not require touching the device's display.

Finally, the report briefly describes a March town hall meeting at Apple in which Jony Ive uncharacteristically took the lead to preside over a two-hour presentation about the changes that are underway. As previously noted, Ive is also sitting in on Apple's software design meetings, reportedly offering his input without forcing his ideas, and also giving software teams greater access to his hardware plans in order to increase collaboration.

Article Link: Apple Risking iOS 7 Delays With Jony Ive's Design Overhaul

I really don't mind a delay as long as they get things right. They have now pulled OSX engineers off the next release to finish IOS up....I hope it's not a rush it out before it's done job....Finish it properly please :apple:

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Toys R Us My First Smartphone was exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the Lumina phones.

I agree. It's a brilliant piece of design. Maybe Jony should poach some UI designers from Yahoo!

To paraphrase the old Seiko advert tagline, "Some day, all apps will look this way" :p

the only thing that looks fisher price is the current IOS UI.

Zachari

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
Actually you said it dont mean **** unless its done right...and its done very right. Androids UI looks great. Their toggles are perfect, very easy to use and work every time. Picking a default app is simple because most of them just ask you if you want it to be default the first time you run the app and if you pick no its about 2-3 touches to get to where you set it as default if you want to change it later. Dont talk since its obvious you are just trashing something you know nothing about.

Look who is assuming now :) Don't get your panties in a wad.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Because that's the way they are on my hard drive, and converting them just to have them on the phone for a while is silly.

And besides, sometimes I plug my phone in to the sound system.

Ah, decent answer. I was waiting for you to praise the enormous gain in sound quality over mp3/aac, on a phone :p

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
If it's still going to require me to make 324234taps on the screen just to get to the damn wi-fi settings, it's going to be a fail.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Yes, but what people complained about was that it wasn't ready--and it wasn't.

Now, even if Apple somehow makes Maps better than Google Maps the public perception will *still* be that Apple Maps are trash and Google's are better.

They most definitely don't want the same issue to happen with all of iOS--that would basically kill Apple. However, it would be almost as bad if Apple dares to release the next iPhone *without* an iOS overhaul so the pressure is on.

I think this is going to be the most significant period in the recent history of the company. This revision will either keep Apple relevant or people will look back upon this overhaul as the beginning of the end.

Well as the Nokia guy said. Google had a 10 year head start on maps and was shocked about the backlash. The maps standard is very high and even 2 years ago Apple Maps would have been considered great. Google maps is not always correct. It send me driving down a one way street 2 months ago in London and it's still not been corrected.

A new release product is always going to come under scrutiny and well there are enough paid samsung trolls* on engaget, and sadly here too now to make sure Apple / winPhone and HTC etc get bashed.

*Yes this is an actual job now. I know the guy that is in charge of recruiting for it. Sad huh!

omnimoeish

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
This is pretty silly. I'm a pretty big Apple fan, and I think Ive has done an excellent job with hardware form factors, in fact I feel bad for the next guy that has to think of a way to improve upon things like the iMac, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini etc.

But iOS is basically made as simply as it possibly can be. It sounds like they're making it flatter just for the sake of change since it's been 6 years without a design change. I'm not sure if that's compelling enough to sell new phones. I just got a 5" Galaxy S4 a week ago after using a 4" screen for the last 3.5 years, I am not only wondering how I ever used that small screen, but why they were ever that small in the first place (and pretty much everyone you talk to says that). Now they're talking about the iPhone 5S being delayed and still only having one small screen size still and maybe the iPhone 6 will have a 5" screen. And their Ace in the hole is making a flatter email app?

Then Apple isn't upgrading Mac Pros, Final Cut, or iLife as was mentioned. They're not offering an SDK for Apple TV. I am really scratching my head why Apple can't get more engineers to do this stuff. Apple has a few projects that would be like printing money if they wanted to.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Then you're probably going to have a hard time with the "personal gadget" revolution that's about to occur with the even smaller screens that will appear on watches, glasses, belt buckles, shoes, and whatnot.

Ya because those are totally the same. Because you can surf the web on a watch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.