Apple Rolling Out iCloud.com Email Addresses with iOS 6 Beta 3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With today's release of iOS 6 Beta 3 to developers, Apple has revealed in the update's change log that it is beginning the first stages of transitioning users from the me.com email addresses and Apple IDs available under MobileMe to new addresses using icloud.com.
    Apple discontinued MobileMe in favor of iCloud as of June 30, although MobileMe users are still able to transition their accounts to iCloud for a limited time.

MobileMe and its me.com addresses were themselves transitioned in 2008 from mac.com addresses available under Apple's previous iTools and .Mac services, with MobileMe users able to send and receive email from mac.com and me.com versions of their addresses using either account.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out iCloud.com Email Addresses with iOS 6 Beta 3

2. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Great! But when do we get the option to merge .mac and .me IDs with an iCloud account?

3. macrumors 6502

icloud

5 @mac.com email aliases,
    5 @me.com email aliases,
    now
    5 more @icloud.com email aliases

#toomanyaliases!

4. macrumors 6502

Rudy69

Personally I prefer me.com, it's nice and short

5. lifeinhd, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

So they've traded the two-character "me" domain for one three times as long?

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

But if someone sends a message to my @me.com email address, will it also be sent to the @icloud.com address? :confused:

7. macrumors member

As long as they allow me to keep my <user>@me.com emails I don't care. I don't think I'd ever use a <user>@icloud.com email address.

8. macrumors regular

Yes. It's been kept the same with .mac and me for years. :)

9. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Why the year long wait? If this was the ultimate path why didn't they transition everyone to this when they rolled iCloud out?

10. macrumors newbie

kind of agree - i'm still dealing with the consequences of the .mac -> .me transition, and i really kind of like how short @me.com is. Prefer that they just left it alone - mostly for convenience and partially as a homage to mobile me - though I'm sure Apple would rather forget about it - ha :)

11. macrumors 6502a

I like the @me address also.

The service is "iCloud", but I'm still "me".

I thought the "@me" address was very Apple. It sent the message that "We know you're not a corporation or a part of us, you're you."

I hope they keep the "@me" around.

12. macrumors regular

easy4lif

I have the same problem. I wouldn't mind dropping all my @me addresses for @iCloud addresses instead.

13. macrumors member

I don't know about everyone else, but I want to figure out how to transition my me.com to an icloud.com email address (non-developer).

For me, me.com sounds a bit selfish, but icloud.com sounds like (oh, you like Apple) - at least it is much closer to the old mac.com email which I can't get to anymore. :(

14. macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

I sure better get to keep my @Mac.com email they better not just replace it..

15. macrumors 6502

icloud

prefer @mac.com myself. Badge of a veteran.

16. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    They both sound dumb to me...

I don't want to say my email is @me.com or even @iCloud.com

I wish they had stuck with @mac.com

17. macrumors 604

iJon

Great, now I have a mac.com, me.com and now icloud.com.

I already made my transition form mac.com to me.com and I'll probably leave it at that.

18. macrumors member

I want to know this also.

19. macrumors member

thewiccaman

Agree 100%! I use my .mac almost exclusively for personal emails (and I use a me.com for some other logins).

20. macrumors 6502

Hmm... I switched to iCloud email from a Google Apps domain because it was shorter and so I could have space to archive my mail without Google serving me ads on it. If they move to @icloud.com addresses, that takes away one of the two big reasons I switched.

I wish Apple had some kind of Domains-like program where I could use iCloud space with my own domain. Oh well, as long as they let my @me.com address stay.

21. macrumors 604

jmann

As long as I get to keep my @me address, I don't care how many aliases they create. Short 'n' Sweet.

22. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I still use the .mac address. I'd rahter they address the issues of getting icloud emails to push regularly.

23. macrumors newbie

this is getting ridiculous...

time to start bugging Apple to Merge IDs again!

24. macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

my email is mylastnamemyfirstname @me.com
    there is no way i'm changing that.

25. macrumors regular

@icloud.com ?? GROSS.

There is no reason for this. iCloud is a behind-the-scenes service. Should just stick with the shorter, elegant, me.com.