Apple Rolls Out First iCloud Features: Automatic Downloads, Purchased Content Listings

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While Apple's new iCloud service doesn't fully launch until the fall alongside iOS 5, the company has already rolled out a few small portions of the service to existing users. Among the additions are automatic downloads and listings of purchased content for easy redownloading.

[​IMG]

Automatic downloads allow users to set preferences to have newly-purchased content such as music, apps, and books automatically pushed to other devices. Users have individual control over the three different media types and can also specify whether or not content pushing should be limited to Wi-Fi connections only in order to save cellular bandwidth. Settings are available within the "Store" menu of the Settings application in iOS 4.3.

[​IMG]

Facilitating the re-download of previously purchased content are new "Purchased" listings found in the iTunes, App Store, and iBooks applications for iOS devices. The new listings provide users with easy access to listings of all items purchased on a given Apple ID, whether or not that content is currently on the device. Users can then easily obtain the previously-purchased content not currently installed.

Apple is also in the process of releasing iTunes 10.3 for Mac OS X and Windows, an update that should bring the new iCloud capabilities to the Mac side of things. The new version is being advertised on Apple's iTunes site, but the actual download page is still showing iTunes 10.2.2 and Software Update is not yet offering the new version.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out First iCloud Features: Automatic Downloads, Purchased Content Listings

2. macrumors 68000

rorschach

Being able to browse apps you've purchased but haven't installed is nice. As is being able to re-download music. And hey, it's free.

3. macintoshdaddy, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

macrumors member

I'm still not seeing this. Any help?

on 4.3.1 JB

4. macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Same here. On 4.3.1 JB

5. macrumors 65816

Hmm, Apps and Books available but no music... I assume the UK is going to have to wait on that for a while longer? Ah well, not a big deal or unexpected and maybe it'll be there in time for iOS 5 launch in the autumn.

6. macrumors regular

The option for music sync seems to only show for US accounts.

Sigh.

7. macrumors 6502a

richard4339

This is great. So, when does the Verizon iPhone get 4.3? We're still waiting on features introduced a few months back.

8. macrumors 65816

Ditto this. "Licensing issues" I'd put money on it.

9. macrumors 68000

I hope it's only temporary. Apple did not mention that this would only be available to US customers. It would definitely be a hugh letdown.

10. macrumors 603

I think you need to be on 4.3.3.

11. macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

This.

Man...the Verizon iPhone is not even the same device as the AT&T version. Sucks for those of us who are with VZW.

12. macrumors 6502

What about those who share their iTunes account with their family members? Any way to control what gets downloaded?

13. macrumors member

I assume you are from Canada? If so, being Canadian myself, I know we are often the last to have access to updates and I don't mean with Apple but just in general.

14. macrumors newbie

4.3.3 in Canada, option exists for Apps and iBooks but not Music.

15. macrumors 68000

topmounter

16. macrumors newbie

In the U.S. and I am not seeing any updates. Only an update to Find My iPhone.

Edit: Never mind. I'm on Verizon.

17. macrumors 68020

i turn on music and apps, but it automatically slides back to off. am i missing something? maybe i need to wait till new itunes comes out?

18. macrumors 68030

tkermit

It says so on their website. But yeah, maybe that will change with time...

19. macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I hate to sound like a troll, but it's annoying to me that we still don't have the new airplay stuff or any other new features from 4.3. And now we won't get these updates either until who knows when.

20. macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

That's not trolling...it's a legit complaint.

21. macrumors 6502a

we're going to have to wait until "fall" I am afraid, when we get 5.0

22. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This was my same thought. Any ideas?

23. macrumors regular

No iTunes yet for UK accounts and it only allows ONE account per device for auto downloads. When I logged onto my US account showed iTunes but warned me that if I switched associated accounts it would lock out my other account for 90 days !

24. lars666, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Switching between two Apple IDs not possible without deactivating the download ability for the original activated ID for 90 days ... :(

EDIT: macmedal was faster than me. Also, even switching the account to another and back in the iPhone/iPad iTunes Store disables the toggles for synching, you have to turn them on again.

25. macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Agreed. I tend to have low expectations when it comes to things like this, but this is probably the first issue that is really irritating me.