Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
UK account here with the option for Apps and iBook turned on...

The BIG question for me is how does it handle app updates? Assuming that you still have to manually update them from your phone will it push the update to your other devices?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I've found that by using the iCloud downloads feature I could update some of my protected music videos from QVGA (320x240) to the newer and higher quality 640x480 content. It still has DRM, but at least I was able to update to the larger sized video. In a few cases I was even able to update videos that weren't available as an iTunes Plus update.

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I was just about to have a little moan but figured I should test it first...

Attached to my iTunes account I have two iPhone 4's and one iPad. I like the feature but I don't want my iPad downloading apps that aren't designed for it!

It turns out that if you download a iPhone/iTouch only app it doesn't get sent to your iPad but if it does have an iPhone version it does :D Simple logic but nice to know!

brian3451

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
Automatic Off?!

When I switch the auto downloads on, a second later it turns the automatic download off.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
In Switzerland it's Automatic Downloads for Apps only, no Books neither Music.

Er my Swisscom iPhone is offering me iBooks as well as Apps (although the only books available on iBooks are out-of-copyright classics)

beany boy

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
It's going to take me awhile to get a handle on all this. My level of confusion is very high here. Now I.m glad I signed up for Apple Care when I got my Iphone 4. These guys will be getting a few calls from me.

ttianshifu

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
So it is not possible at the moment as a non developer to create an icloud account to get a @me.com email address, right?

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
app store improvements?

The purchased apps list is very useful and long overdue... but wonderif they will be improving the app store itself with ios 5? It was some glaring flaws...

Like when you press "more" to look at subsequent portions of the app list, and when you're 100 apps deep in the list and press on an app and then return to the list... it takes you back to the beginning of the list!

The navigation for the store is just plain terrible. Which is ironic, since you would think Apple would want to make navigating (and then buying) 450 000 apps an easy, simple, and enjoyable experience... and not a pain in the butt.

A better app store will make me happier... and will also increase the profits of Apple and developers...! :)

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
I just purchased an app in my iphone 4 running 4.3.3 with the automatic downloads for apps on.......but it didn't get auto sync with my ipad 2 running the same os with same settings.

am I missing anything here?

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
I just purchased an app in my iphone 4 running 4.3.3 with the automatic downloads for apps on.......but it didn't get auto sync with my ipad 2 running the same os with same settings.

am I missing anything here?

My bad...I just realised that only apps made for iPad and iPhone both are auto synced.

medicguy007

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
Livonia, MI
iCound with Desktop as well?

Will the iCloud sync with my desktop iCal, Contacts, and Mail or is this purely for iOS devices? In the presentation I did not see a desktop device until the iTunes portion. Any thoughts?

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
I'm having the same problem. Are you jailbroken?

SOLUTION:

If you cannot switch those options to on, log out of your account on that device and then log back in. You will be able to have those switches stay toggled to "ON" after that point. Nothing to do with jailbreaks or the like.

citizensweeps

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
SOLUTION:

If you cannot switch those options to on, log out of your account on that device and then log back in. You will be able to have those switches stay toggled to "ON" after that point. Nothing to do with jailbreaks or the like.

Brilliant, why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Yet I cannot delete songs on my iPod from my iPod...wtf. Its not that big of a issue Apple, if I can download songs to my iPhone why can't I delete the songs on my iPhone? This contradicts the whole ' post pc mobile digital lifestyle' pitch you were talking about earlier. But the Itunes cloud is very cool! Don't be all negative!:p

"Swipe to delete songs and playlists" is coming in iOS 5.
It is listed on the overview slide which shows the new features that are coming during the keynote, upper right of the slide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.