Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112543-ibooks_landscape.jpg

iBooks Application in Landscape Orientation
Apple has augmented its iPad "Features" section with a new page devoted to its iBooks application. Initially available only in the U.S., the iBooks application will be available in the App Store once the iPad officially launches on April 3rd and will serve as the hub for the iPad's eReader functionality and offer access to Apple's iBookstore where users will be able to purchase content. While many of the details of the iBooks application have already been disclosed, the feature page provides a slightly more in-depth look at the application and clarifies a few issues.

Apple confirms that the application will utilize the open ePub standard, which will allow users to import any open ePub content into iTunes and sync it with their iPad for viewing, even content not acquired through the iBookstore. Apple has been quiet about any sort of digital rights management (DRM) for content sold through the iBookstore, but reports have suggested that it will utilize a version of Apple's FairPlay DRM that was formerly used on iTunes Store music and continues to be used on video content distributed via iTunes.

The new iBooks page also describes a number of the features of the application, including the ability to automatically switch between single-page portrait and double-page landscape modes by simply rotating the iPad and to change text sizes and fonts. Users can also tap on words within their eBooks to see definitions from the device's built-in dictionary application or Wikipedia, or search for the word in the text or on the Web. iBooks is also compatible with the iPad's VoiceOver functionality, allowing content to be automatically read aloud.

While iBooks will be a U.S.-only feature at launch, Apple appears to be busy preparing to build out support for the application and the associated iBookstore, with job postings suggesting that the company is working hard to extend support to other countries.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out iBooks Feature Page

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
The new iBooks page also describes a number of the features of the application, including the ability to automatically switch between single-page portrait and double-page landscape modes by simply rotating the iPad...

This could be quite annoying. I like to read books while I skydive. When in free fall tilt sensors don't work that well. Unless Apple puts a HARDWARE button on the iPad that locks the screen orientation, I will not buy one!

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
So, like the newer Sony Readers, we can borrow ebooks form our local library? The format of the borrowed books is ePub, and from my library we get the normal loan period before it goes away (3 weeks.)

Pj

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
anybody who used the glossy macbooks outside will know this thing will suck as a ebook reader. how are you supposed to see a thing outside in the sun sitting on a bench in the park? if ebooks are the main target for the ipad it should have a mate screen like the kindle.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hours of reading on that screen? People will see by e-ink was the chosen method before the iPad.

Why? Screen looks nice. Nothing magical about reflected light that makes it better than direct illumination - your eye can't tell one photon from another.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
"Apple confirms that the application will utilize the open ePub standard, which will allow users to import any open ePub content into iTunes and sync it with their iPad for viewing, even content not acquired through the iBookstore."

This aspect alone makes it very exciting. It doesn't have to cost any money (outside of your initial investment) to be able to read to your heart's content. Stanza and Guttenburg books are on ePub right?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
If the application imports any ePub content, there really is no reason to make the app US only at launch, as it doesn't depend on the existence of the iBookstore.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
If the application imports any ePub content, there really is no reason to make the app US only at launch, as it doesn't depend on the existence of the iBookstore.

Just because you can buy your books elsewhere doesn't mean Apple wants you to :)

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
No chance I could read on that for a long time. I'll stick to books/printing my .pdfs.

(Oh, and in before the "Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everybody else won't" flames from the fanboys, to each their own...)

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I'll stick with Stanza on my iPhone, and save the 500 bucks for a nice tattoo, which will last me the rest of my life.

twodonnell

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
eBook File Size

Hey, macfriends. Long time reader, first time poster.

Do ya'all know what the file size range of an ePub can be? Say for a 300-page, mostly text, book? I am very interested in this technology if it can replace the many history books I carry to school. So I'm wondering which size iPad (16, 32, 64GB) would make the most sense. Thanks.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Hours of reading on that screen? People will see by e-ink was the chosen method before the iPad.

I still don't buy the whole it will hurt your eyes too look at it because it has back lighting, I don't see how this is different then having a book light.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So, like the newer Sony Readers, we can borrow ebooks form our local library? The format of the borrowed books is ePub, and from my library we get the normal loan period before it goes away (3 weeks.)

Pj

chances are that the library is using some form of DRM to achieve the 3 weeks bit and thus it could prove ipad incompat. But you can always try it if you get an ipad and see. Or even just try dropping it into iTunes. if the program errors then you can guess that no it won't work. In which case, perhaps the company behind the system will create an ipad app if the sales kick off well.

my library does the same system so I'm hopeful myself.

sigjuice

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
PDF support?

ePub may be the only format which Apple sells, but is there any information on whether the iBooks app will understand other formats besides ePub? I have accumulated a lot of PDF material over the years (some of which is encrypted). It would be rather inconvenient to have a different app for each different format.

Last edited:

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003

Nothing except the rights sold BY THE PUBLISHER to other entities.

Big freakin' headache.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I have a question about the LCD versus e-ink debate. If I go to the bookshelf and open a book, the book will look more like it does on the iPad than it does on a Kindle or Nook. I'm not bashing either ereader; I'm actually considering a Nook. That being the case, what - besides the glossy part - is the problem with the iPad as a reader?

Also, won't companies come out with screen protectors like they have for the iPhone, iPod Touch and others? If so, they could make them matte. Now my question is, could they make them with some kind of filter that would reduce this eye strain everyone is talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.