Apple Rolls Out New 'Kids' Category on App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has unveiled a new Kids category on the App Store [Direct Link], MacStories noted. The page includes multiple sections, including the best apps for certain ages, games specifically for kids, and different types of learning apps like 'Create & Play' and 'Shapes & Colors'.

[​IMG]
    Back in August, Apple sent emails to developers asking them to submit apps for the new category.

The Kids section is viewable on the App Store on iOS devices, as well as iTunes on Macs and PCs.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out New 'Kids' Category on App Store

2. macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Also know as the "Also includes in-app purchases section" :rolleyes:

3. macrumors G3

charlituna

There are lots of kid apps that don't have IAP and a lot of adult apps that do.

4. macrumors 65816

Apps for baby goats.

What's wrong with using the word "children"?

or "emotionally immature humans".

5. macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

I know a number of very emotionally mature children and emotionally immature adults. "Kids" uses fewer characters than "children" and is generally acceptable for use as a synonym of "children" in the U.S. Besides, maybe Apple is catering to baby goats too.

6. macrumors member

Nice....

It's nice that there is a kids section but what about us who don't have kids and would love to not be asked if we are 17 or older every time we download an adult rated app? I don't know why there isn't a preference in our app store user account profile that sets it so I don't get asked if I am over 17 every time I buy an adult rated app. You have to be 18 to legally sign up for a personal credit card which my iTunes account is linked to.

Netflix has also been hot on the trail of making a kids section. I would love to not see the kids things on my Apple TV as there is never a time I need that there. I appreciate it for friends who have kids but I don't want it personally on my screen. Kids are optional and so should having all this kid stuff show up in a digital store.

7. macrumors 68040

D.T.

I've had developers ask me what type of app they should consider, and I almost always say, something for baby goats ... er, I mean children. It's a _great_ market from books to games. Now it's even better since the noise will be reduced a little, and your app stands a better change of getting visibility.

:cool:

8. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Get them hooked while they are young :D

9. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Well, there you go then. Explains the new look of iOS and where things are headed. :) Soon our macs will have etch-a-sketch knobs.

10. macrumors 68000

iGrip

This is a good idea. Likely kids apps are some of the best selling apps on the App Store. The iOS platform is perfect for kids.

11. macrumors 604

Piggie

So no Freemium games going to be allowed in here, and no in app purchase apps either I hope?

Parents need to know they can allow children to download and enjoy any apps from this new area, without needing to worry about their children spending real money in games etc.

12. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

This is neat. Make's it more convienient for those of us with children (or even without-I'm not here to judge).

13. bawbac, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

macrumors 65816

bawbac

And In-app purchases are achieved simply any time a goal is met in an app.
    *This is noted in the fine print of the app when you accept to load it.

14. macrumors 601

This is fitting. Given the new look of the OS...:p

15. macrumors 603

be a parent and set a password to install any app or pay for IAP
    simple

16. macrumors 604

Piggie

Do you think TV companies should make TV programs/cartoons especially for children, where children are encouraged to pay money to enjoy more of the program "made for them" ?

These games are a cancer and those greedy devs should be held up as examples of how not to offer software. Making such programs directed at children makes it 100x worse.

17. macrumors 68030

WardC

Xcode for kids?

18. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Holy carp .. more colors .. :rolleyes:

19. macrumors member

I dont need this, I need New 'Adults' category on App store

20. macrumors regular

Tysknaden

This is only consequent!

After the 5-C, this was to be expected.