Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
Since the Ti PowerBook until the new G5 and the new TV ad Apple has been leaving the "Think Different" personality to mask Apple products with a PC look a like.

The design of the most popular Apple product would fall more in to an evolution of a PC enclosure rather of what we would expect of the so "different" industrial designs Apple would use in its products.

The only original design out there is the new iMac but all the portables and now the PowerMacs are not "visually challenging" the regular PC consumer, the opposite, they looks a look like a very sophisticated PC design to make them acceptable to the eye of those PC consumers.

The old days of the sophistication of the old G3 enclosure, the Cube, the Pismo line, the first generation iMac, even the first iBooks are gone (to the neutral look of the iPod). All we may expect from the industrial designers are gonna be PC look a like computers, no more games, no more creativity just square silver boxes with one or two things, very minimalist so nothing is compromised and more people can accept them.

Even the new TV commercial is mean for the PC market, it is brown, messy, like a regular home PC desk, not touching too much the Mac aspect of the product, they want to make the consumer believe that is a "PC" they are getting. ¿And the environment? a house, not a office or a white backgrond, a house, inside, Apple wants to start people getting the computer for their homes, later on, to the office.

The "Think Different" Apple design era has changed to a "Look a like".

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
That depends on what constitutes "innovative". Does innovative mean design for design's sake? Or does innovative mean reduced to the simplest form and function.

Apple's products sit at the pinnacle of modern design. Simplicity is the hero of the moment.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I think they're going for a more classical, minimal design for a couple of reasons.

Mainly being that minimal aesthetics generally date far less quickly than a design that is more trend based... think funny colours, and lots of curves.

Design is of course subjective, but I'd like to suggest that the new G5, Titanium, Aluminium and iBook are far more visually sophisticated than Apple's product range back in 1999/2000.

LordMord

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2003
London - UK
God is in the details...

I think the new Macs are very nice looking. Show me a PC design that is even close to this new design in style! People suggest Lian Li cases are similar...no way. I have just bought one to make a custom PC and it is way ugly compared to the G5...

Oh and compare the Dell ads to the G5 ad...

Also, I have ordered the Dual G5 already and sure it is a box but I use it for pro Video work and I want it to fit in my 'workspace'. Weird shaped boxes aint gonna do it for me.

If there is one thing that worries me is that I cant see anyway for it to be rackmounted like the old model...

Oh and one more thing...PLEASE someone make a clear door for this beast and some lights that go inside hehe :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I agree somewhat with the first statement. I don't see the big deal in the old Powermac design, nor do I see how the design is better than some of the PC towers out. Sure, the PM design has been around for years upon years, while the PC market has just started to catch up (or even bother) to make a tower worth looking at, but now that they have began to care about aesthetics, some of the PC towers are looking better than the old G4 tower. The G5 tower.........well, I'll have to take a look at it from up close to make any sort of assessment. Some things that appear to be nothing "magnificent" are in fact awe-inspiring when you actually see it upclose. I believe this to be the case for the new G5 tower. However, I do like many of the current PC designs, and I think they take a lot of heat for ugly designs from 3-4 years ago......not now. Yes, there ARE ugly designs, but there's no "beige box" to gawk at anymore.

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
I think it was Apple's idea from the beginning to start with flashy designs (earlier iMacs and iBooks) to capture attention from the public. And obviously, it worked. If the iBook looked like it did now when it was first rolled out, a lot less people would be aware of the product line. Now that they have the public's attention, they can move to more practical yet pleasing designs and show off what they can really do.

couch potato

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
their towers arent becoming like PC's, because their design is still something that you dont find out there in the PC world. i have a 17inch iMac, and ill tell you the only thing out there like it is a stupid clone.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't have bought my new ibook if it still looked like a plastic toilet seat. I wouldn't have bought it if I had to put up with a flashy color. No way. I bought it because it was small, inexpensive, and runs OS X.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Apple sacrificing style for the PC market

Originally posted by mymemory
Since the Ti PowerBook until the new G5 and the new TV ad Apple has been leaving the "Think Different" personality to mask Apple products with a PC look a like.

The design of the most popular Apple product would fall more in to an evolution of a PC enclosure rather of what we would expect of the so "different" industrial designs Apple would use in its products.

The only original design out there is the new iMac but all the portables and now the PowerMacs are not "visually challenging" the regular PC consumer, the opposite, they looks a look like a very sophisticated PC design to make them acceptable to the eye of those PC consumers.

The old days of the sophistication of the old G3 enclosure, the Cube, the Pismo line, the first generation iMac, even the first iBooks are gone (to the neutral look of the iPod). All we may expect from the industrial designers are gonna be PC look a like computers, no more games, no more creativity just square silver boxes with one or two things, very minimalist so nothing is compromised and more people can accept them.

Even the new TV commercial is mean for the PC market, it is brown, messy, like a regular home PC desk, not touching too much the Mac aspect of the product, they want to make the consumer believe that is a "PC" they are getting. ¿And the environment? a house, not a office or a white backgrond, a house, inside, Apple wants to start people getting the computer for their homes, later on, to the office.

The "Think Different" Apple design era has changed to a "Look a like".

Apple is trying to reach out to everyone, not just the apple fan, or the person who already has a mac. the white is overused and frankly passe. i am glad to see apple releasing a 'good' commercial, instead of somehing reminscent of the switch commercials.

like someone elese has said, white space is an advertiser's best friend, but honestly now that it is used by everyone and their brother, it was time for a change.

Praise apple for once again making an ad that does what it should, get people talking :)

-tazo

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
It's called cost cutting. Stupid designs that are trying to "look innovative" end up costing too much money and are usually prone to silly problems (think Cube). Simplify the design (think iPod), offer a good product at a good price. Watch the sales ring up! Apple has to be run as a real business.

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
I am a bit disappointed in the newer designs, but the fact of the matter is...apple is trying to sell computers to new customers also, not just the Mac faithful (which i've been for over 11 years). They are sacrificing some style, but it will increase the longevity of the company. They have to go mainstream if they want to survive. I don't care if future computers are designed around a cardboard box, as long as they keep coming!

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Abstract Sure, the PM design has been around for years upon years, while the PC market has just started to catch up (or even bother) to make a tower worth looking at, but now that they have began to care about aesthetics, some of the PC towers are looking better than the old G4 tower. [/B]

Can you give some examples (and perhaps links) for PC towers that you like? I'm really interested.

I went to a large electronics chain just recently and almost had to laugh out loud at the "design" of all the boxes I saw. Really, most of them would actually look better if they were still beige... I DID see a Sony VAIO box which looked pretty nice from a distance - but horribly cheap when you came near to it.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Do I think the new G5s are ugly? Yep.

Do I still want one? You betcha.

Am I really going to care what it looks like after awhile?

Nope.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by e-coli
That depends on what constitutes "innovative". Does innovative mean design for design's sake? Or does innovative mean reduced to the simplest form and function.

Apple's products sit at the pinnacle of modern design. Simplicity is the hero of the moment.

I dunno how many times i have to say it. Ugly is ugly. Quit fooling yourselves.

:)

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by jtown
I wouldn't have bought my new ibook if it still looked like a plastic toilet seat. I wouldn't have bought it if I had to put up with a flashy color. No way. I bought it because it was small, inexpensive, and runs OS X.

Those old clamshell ibooks seemed to be made specifically for girls.... dunno where apple was going with that. Actually it'd be cool if they still offered that particular housing for the ladies out there. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Originally posted by the future
Can you give some examples (and perhaps links) for PC towers that you like? I'm really interested.

I went to a large electronics chain just recently and almost had to laugh out loud at the "design" of all the boxes I saw. Really, most of them would actually look better if they were still beige... I DID see a Sony VAIO box which looked pretty nice from a distance - but horribly cheap when you came near to it.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...l&ProductID=zRwKC0.N2CAAAAD2iEhO1mTu&Dept=cpu

Personally, I think this Sony is pretty, maybe prettier than the G4 tower case.

Also, there are a lot of 3rd party cases that are nice. My school makes PC's, and they sell a PC in a case that's probably the nicest PC tower I have ever seen. It is polished metal at the front, and a blue tinted glass on the sides. I'm not a techie, so I wouldn't know what sites to go to in order to show you cases that I think are nice, but there are definitely cases that you can get nowadays that will blow you away.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
not true at all. Apple precision engineers their enclosures, so despite them being minimalist, they're still far better production-wise. And if you're up on contemporary (particularly italian) design, these designs is actually extremely chic...

IMO they far surpass anything else on the market, in terms of quality AND design. That vaio just looks boring and cheap (is that plastic?)... and yes there is a difference between boring and understated.

pnw

rundevilrun

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2002
I have a Sony Vaio and a Power Mac MDD. While I think the Sony has one of the better designed pc cases, it feels somewhat cheap, has the usual mess of cables inside, and the panels don't always slide back on nicely. The Mac is outstanding in those departments, sturdy plastic, no cable mess, and the side closes with a solid click right into place.

<begin rant>
Dell has horrible stupid cases, they're hinged in front and the whole computer sort of splits open from the back, making it inaccessible from the side and you have to disconnect all the cables on the back and turn the whole thing around. And I still can't get my stupid dell at work to close completely, there's about a 2 inch gap in the back!
<end rant>
thanks for listening :)

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I agree. I think the new cases are beautiful in function and in aesthetic. Too bad I'll probably never own one.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I think that the minimalist design of the Apple line is very appealing to the eye. While a PC box has the same shape and form the manufacturers can almost never get the aesthetic aspect right. They always look clunky compared to Apple's offerings. A lot of these so called "designer" PC cases look like crap. Head on over to a site like http://www.directron.com or http://www.pcmods.com and look at some of the cases they offer. The only thing that comes close to the quality of Apple is the Lian-Li or Coolermaster Aluminum cases, and even then they still don't quite get out of the "clunkiness" of PC cases.

Another reason Apple is so minimalist in their design: Steve Jobs is a big fan of minimalism.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I just think this is a natural shift in style. Apple has been doing the "pretty" case for a while now so I think they are shifting towards a minimalist approach for a change of pace. I'm sure in a few years they change direction again. Just like fashion, it all comes and goes in cycles.

Lethal

Shobai

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2003
New York
Apple Design

Apple designers (graphical and industrial) are some of the best out there. Their theme now, and for a little while, is "simple". Think about it, it's like a room, do you FEEL better if it's got clutter, with all these different colors and posters and chairs...or do you FEEL better and accomplish things EASIER when everything is clean...and less CRAP is in your room. I'd fall under the latter catagory...as I think most people do. So a simple aluminum sleek G5 tower...is in fact better in the long run than a neon Red tower with appendages lights and some huge deisel fueled cooling fan:D

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
I don't know if I'd agree that Apple is going minimalist with a computer larger than its predecessors and most New York apartments for that matter. Should probably cover the thing in pinstripes to make it look smaller.

Anyhoo, the overall presentation is lacking, especially when compared to the beautiful design inside. This looks like it was made out of soldered grill parts. I did think that the MDDs were bulky and cluttered, but this is insane. IMO, the quicksilvers were the best cases ever.

Really, ask yourself if you saw this on Lian-Li's website, would you say "wow that's a really cool PC case!" or would you just yawn?

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by ibookin'
A lot of these so called "designer" PC cases look like crap. Head on over to a site like http://www.directron.com

Oh yes, go there INDEED and look at the so-called "XMachine". If that isn't the most horrible computer case design EVER I don't know what is. That would be a funny turn this thread could take, wouldn't it? The quest for the Ugliest Desktop Box Ever™. And don't you DARE nominate the G5...

I didn't see the G5 "in person", obviously, but I'm very sure it will look much more appealing than on pictures. Which is exactly the opposite effect compared to most (all) PC boxes.

Abstract - the box you describe (the one your school has) sounds pretty appealing, actually. Too bad you don't have any pictures of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.