Apple Safari Great

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 3777, Jan 7, 2003.

1. 3777 macrumors 6502

Best browser available, once 12 inch powerbook is up to 1 ghz I'll get one too:cool:

2. Raiden macrumors regular

I agree completely! The speed increase is incredible on my SWiMac600. Opening the app is 3 times as fast, and most web pages are about 2 times as fast. There are a few exceptions, but that is understandable, because it is beta.

I just am crossing my fingers that they will put tabed browsing in before the final release, because I dont want to wait till Sahari 2...

Oh and the file size, under 5Mb?? Insane....:)

3. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Great browser, if I could change one thing it would be tabbed browsing support. Glad to see the breakaway from IE. Using it now :D

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I love Safari. It flies on my eMac. It is at least twice as fast as IE and I'm on a 56k.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It is nice and all, but I can't believe they havn't included tabed browsing. This is a must have feature IMO and I hope they have it in the final version. If not I for one will have to stick with Chimera :(

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll second that motion with dial-up.

Not to mention it's my first beta browser usage since the Netscape Public Previews for version 6.1, which were rather uneasy to use.

7. kenkooler macrumors regular

I don't know why, but Chimera feels faster... maybe its just my slow connection :rolleyes:

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

one of the tiny features that i find useful is that if you run your mouse over a link that's in a frame, and that link targets another frame, it tells you down in the status bar. Or when it's going to spawn a new window. "Go To http://--- in another frame" or "in a new window"...

that's attention to detail that none of the other browsers i've used had... this is gonna be one hell of a webbrowser....

:)
    pnw

9. Lz0 macrumors regular

I like it's ID

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/48 (like Gecko) Safari/48

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hm... when I tested mine I got:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/50 (like Gecko) Safari/50

I picked it off Apple's FTP, I don't see anything different...

11. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

I agree with you and I have a DSL connection in my office. Chimera is faster on my 17" Imac. It seems to hesitate. Not impressed so far.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd also have to agree with regards to speed, but never the less I'm gonna give Safari a go for a couple of days...although I imagine I'll be back to Chimera before long, I just don't think I can survive without tabs ;)

13. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'd like tabs as much as anyone else, but keep in mind that it's beta and opensource, so you can build it to have tabs if you want. my only complaint is that they did not name it cyberdog 3.0 :D . i've heard differing opinions on it's speed when compared to chimera, but on my university broadband it is noticably faster (and launches in about half the time). i love the small file size and the interface is actually very good (it actually feels very light). it is definitely my default browser and when someone writes a script to import chimera bookmarks, it will be sheer bliss (i would if i knew how, just like the tabs issue:rolleyes: ).

14. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

i watched macworld via stream:

then downloadewd and have not stopped using safari. Its launch time is so fast that i dont think the little things matter. Now, if only it could support the WMP plug-in :D

15. multifinder macrumors member

Safari is fast, although not having tabs is annoying, I got very used to them with Chimera and Mozilla on my PC at work. The only downside is there are still a number of sites out there that won't work on Safari. Verizon Wireless, for example, lets you check your minutes remaining for the month online--but this only works on IE 5.5+ on a PC. IE for Mac, Chimera, Mozilla, Safari--none of these work. Another example: I had to print out a temporary health plan ID card from Aetna on my work PC because of the same problem--no Mac browser would render the page correctly.

This is Verizon and Aetna's fault, of course, not Apple's, but I'm worried that because Safari uses Konqueror and not Gecko for layout, the odds of any company testing their website on Safari are nil. My fiancee used to work for a dot-com, and they only tested on IE and Navigator on the PC--she asked why she couldn't get the site to work properly using Mac IE, and their reply was "no one uses Macs". This kind of attitude seems to be growing--there are a lot of sites on the web that don't display right because their creators only design for IE. If enough people used a Gecko variant like Mozilla/Chimera/Phoenix then maybe that tide could be reversed, but I'm afraid Safari will always be too minor for anyone to care about.

Having said all that, I'm typing this in Safari now and I like it--I'd urge everyone who does like it to find websites that don't display correctly in it (most likely because they don't follow standards) and write them nasty emails for thinking the only browser on Earth is IE. Maybe if enough people do that, the web will truly be open to everyone and not "best viewed with Internet Explorer (Windows version)".

16. mads macrumors newbie

Safari is great, although I love tabbed browsing, so that is a must. If enough people tell Apple that they want tabs in the bug report/feedback thing, they will probably adapt it.

By the way, where can you find this:

I found an image on the Safari discussion pages, about an alternative to tabs.

[​IMG]

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan