Apple said no to repair - what can I do?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Gugbe, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Gugbe macrumors newbie

Gugbe

Right, well, a couple of months ago the screen on my iPod Nano broke. I must stress that it had been perfectly treated (kept in case etc.) and had never had a fall. Furthermore, the problem area was perfectly defined and would have been very hard for me to achieve with force.

I presumed it was either a chip error (that wasn't fixed by restore) or the screen itself, and sent it off to apple a couple of weeks ago (it took me that long to send it as I wanted to wait until I was back in the UK). Now, today I recieved it back with a letter stating that hte damage was my fault. Obviously, I completely disagree with this, and can't imagine how I could have caused damage of this nature.

So, what can I do next? Has anyone had any luck arguing with Applecare?

[​IMG]

Thanks for you help.

Ryan.

Edit:
    P.S. This is the kind of screen damage I would have expected to be user caused: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=236583

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

is there any scuff marks cracks on the case ? (dropped run over ect.. )

or maybe you have water damage ?

anyhow the only options you have is a) send back to apple b) claim on your house insurance c) buy a new one d) trading standards

3. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

Your screen is not cracked but faulty (from the photo) Call Customer Service and tell them that you are not happy and stamp up and down. Do not take no for an answer. Obtain a CS code and get the unit replaced. Furthermore you are better off taking it to a service agent then Apple directly. Get the CS code first though. But most service agents will be able to replace it for you no sweat. You will have to wait while they get a new one though.

4. Gugbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Gugbe

Wow; quick (and helpful) replies.

liketom - No, only surface scratches (as I imagine all nanos have)

baxterbrittle - That’s what I thought, and why I was shocked when I got the original returned to me. I will ring customer service and stamp. What do you mean by a service agent - and how do I find them?

Cheers,
    Ryan

5. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

Most resellers should have a service department (Do Not waste your time with department stores etc...). An Apple store might be just as good but here in Aus we don't (yet) have any so I wouldn't know. If that was brought into the service dept I used to work at we would say no problem and order a replacement simple as that. If the screen was cracked then it gets trickier but your does not appear to be so you shouldn't have too much trouble. A CS code will guarantee that you get a replacement - that's the golden ticket so to speak.

6. Gugbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Gugbe

OK, I've just spoken to customer services and, after a long hold, I've got a case number. So, hopefully it'll get sorted soon.

Thanks for your help,
    Ryan.