Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
As long as it is thinner I'm happy, hopefully they can accomplish this by reducing battery capacity.

Hopefully they can pull off thinner/same thickness with a larger battery. They seem to be doing that, so the signs are good.

iPhone - 1,400 mAh
iPhone 3G - 1,150 mAh
iPhone 3GS - 1,219 mAh

iPhone 4 - 1,420 mAh
iPhone 4S - 1,432 mAh

iPhone 5 - 1,440 mAh
iPhone 5C - 1,507 mAh
iPhone 5S - 1,570 mAh
iPhone SE - 1,624mAh

iPhone 6 - 1,810 mAh
iPhone 6s - 1,715 mAh
iPhone 7 - 1,960 mAh

iPhone 6 Plus - 2,915 mAh
iPhone 6s Plus - 2,750 mAh
iPhone 7 Plus - 2900 mAh

The iPhone 7 in particular saw a nice bump in capacity, whilst retaining the same thickness as the 6s (and a little thicker than the 6).

Although, as always, ultimately it's how long it can run on 1 charge that matters rather than the capacity. Component efficiency plays a big part.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I like the idea of the 5" model but not the idea of it being a lottery who gets OLED all models should be OLED by then
[doublepost=1477559621][/doublepost]
Skip next year's iPhone too. I hear the 2018 one would be much better.

The 2018 with be "our best iPhone yet"

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Will not purchase the iPhone 8 unless one of the models is phone sized (ie SE sized). If this is not the case I'll be waiting to see what the iPhone SE2 is like.
[doublepost=1477564172][/doublepost]
Hopefully they can pull off thinner/same thickness with a larger battery. They seem to be doing that, so the signs are good.

iPhone - 1,400 mAh
iPhone 3G - 1,150 mAh
iPhone 3GS - 1,219 mAh

iPhone 4 - 1,420 mAh
iPhone 4S - 1,432 mAh

iPhone 5 - 1,440 mAh
iPhone 5C - 1,507 mAh
iPhone 5S - 1,570 mAh
iPhone SE - 1,624mAh

iPhone 6 - 1,810 mAh
iPhone 6s - 1,715 mAh
iPhone 7 - 1,960 mAh

iPhone 6 Plus - 2,915 mAh
iPhone 6s Plus - 2,750 mAh
iPhone 7 Plus - 2900 mAh

The iPhone 7 in particular saw a nice bump in capacity, whilst retaining the same thickness as the 6s (and a little thicker than the 6).

Although, as always, ultimately it's how long it can run on 1 charge that matters rather than the capacity. Component efficiency plays a big part.
You do know the iPhone SE uses 6S parts? The SE should be in the 6S area, not the 5 area.

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
Honestly, If they're going edge-less I'd be very interested in going whatever the biggest screen size they could fit in the current 7+ body. I have no issues with that physical size and would looooove to have an even bigger screen. So in other words, I'd like to see a third bigger screen size rather than one in the middle.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
You do know the iPhone SE uses 6S parts? The SE should be in the 6S area, not the 5 area.

Yes, but it shares dimensions with the 5-line. Hence the grouping. Physics mean the SE won't have as big of a battery as the 6s, we know that without opening the phone.

If I was comparing performance I would've included it with the 6s.

Reactions: the8thark

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
What phone are you using now? Ordering a current flagship at its price for next year is only seeing up for disappointment

I have the 6S +, not concerned really about this generation. Sales are down for the iPhone, yet they can't meet the demand for the current phone. The phone has be released a month ago at this point and some users are still looking at another month before delivery. That's not good business practice. That's not supply and demand. Apple knows the demand for its phones. I've grown tired of the wait. I don't need the immediate gratification, but this isn't the first iPhone release. The wait gets longer and longer each year. Yesterday 1 apple store in the entire USA had a silver iPhone 7+ 32GB. That's beyond ridiculous. Not much more for Matte Black. There is hype, and there is stupidity. This is not hype.

Reactions: psac

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I have the 6S +, not concerned really about this generation. Sales are down for the iPhone, yet they can't meet the demand for the current phone. The phone has be released a month ago at this point and some users are still looking at another month before delivery. That's not good business practice. That's not supply and demand. Apple knows the demand for its phones. I've grown tired of the wait. I don't need the immediate gratification, but this isn't the first iPhone release. The wait gets longer and longer each year. Yesterday 1 apple store in the entire USA had a silver iPhone 7+ 32GB. That's beyond ridiculous. Not much more for Matte Black. There is hype, and there is stupidity. This is not hype.

Surprised as I'm sure supply chain management was Tim's speciality at apple for quite a while.

Reactions: tremlock

C.Calthrop

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Cupertino CA
I too want a 4" display but I also want a full feature device: fast, top of the line camera, and light. I am happy to pay the top of the line price. Why does Apple want to bully its customers instead of just giving them what they want? We have clearly shown that lots of us want a 4" iPhone. I will stick with my 5S until Apple or a competitor gives me what I want. I don't care if Apple also makes larger iPhones or cheaper iPhones, some people want those too. That's fine with me.

jujufreeze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2016

For a company that touts having hundreds of billions of cash in reserve-limiting supply like this is simply unacceptable.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I too want a 4" display but I also want a full feature device: fast, top of the line camera, and light. I am happy to pay the top of the line price. Why does Apple want to bully its customers instead of just giving them what they want? We have clearly shown that lots of us want a 4" iPhone. I will stick with my 5S until Apple or a competitor gives me what I want. I don't care if Apple also makes larger iPhones or cheaper iPhones, some people want those too. That's fine with me.

You mean why doesn't apple give them what YOU want.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
5.5 inches, 5 inches, and 4.7 inches... odd size spacing,

We want a 4" model, too!!!

I feel it's more likely that they'd release the 5 inch model to replace the 4.7 due to same size factor but no bezel. ?

Then again, that means the 5.5 would be 5.8.

I would hope more for an iPhone SE replacement, so 4 inch, 5 inch, 5.5 inch. That would make a lot more sense to me.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
The JB models don't slip out your hand. I prefer the silver iPhones but I don't have the oil hands necessary to make that phone holdable naked.
I didn't care for the Jet Black, it was ever so slightly grippier yes. But I mostly found it had a very strange 'wet' sticky feel prone to extreme smudging, kind of a disgusting feeling to me, also looks much cheaper than the matte black IMO.

My hands also tend to be clammy.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
great. now we'll have a "way too big" size to go in the lineup between "too big" and "way, way too big"
[doublepost=1477541887][/doublepost]

they have 3 models now: SE, 7, and 7+

Not 3 variants of their flagship device though. If they kept the screen size on the 4.7 the same but made it without bezels it be much smaller. I think they should do that with both the 5.5 and 4.7 models and leave it at that. That's my opinion though ;)

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

The SE comes with the same processing chip as the 6s...so until recently, it was the fastest and it is still fast.

The rear camera was also 12mp, so it also was the same as 6s... the only difference was the front camera (for selfies) was 1.2 vs 5.

The SE by size is lighter but I'm not 100% sure about that.

They also made it cost less.

The only things missing is full range of lte bands, 3D Touch, and the newest gen of fingerprint tech for home button.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
It is not about the exact numbers but about the spacing in between.

The article states this spacing:

Not so much of a difference. In particular 5 and 4.7
Ok I thought you were being literal. Because it's clear that Apple really agonises over 10ths of an inch to get what in their opinion is the best scale for a particular size, they showed this with the development of the iPad.

Aman122

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015

Apple is working on three new iPhone 8 models to be released in 2017, all of which will include glass-backed bodies, reports Japanese news site Nikkei. Previous rumors have also pointed towards three iPhone 8 models, but past information suggested that Apple would release one "premium" glass-backed model with an OLED display and two "standard" aluminum models rather than three models with a glass body.

Citing a supply chain source, Nikkei says Apple will release the three iPhones in the following sizes: 5.5 inches, 5 inches, and 4.7 inches. The site still believes one premium model with a curved edge-to-edge OLED display will be sold alongside two models that have standard LCD displays.

iphoneconceptimage.jpg

Edge-to-edge iPhone concept image via ConceptsiPhone
All three iPhone 8 models will use glass supplied by Biel Crystal Manufactory and Lens Technology in China for both the front and back, which will be held together with an aluminum frame. Foxconn has been working on glass backs, but Biel is said to have the technological edge.

Because it is early in the development cycle, Nikkei warns that Apple's plans could still change and it could decide to scrap plans to offer three devices. In 2016, early iPhone 7 rumors also pointed towards three devices, including one 4.7-inch iPhone and two 5.5-inch models, one with dual cameras and one with a single camera. The single camera model was reportedly scrapped six months ahead of the iPhone 7's launch.

Rumors suggest Apple is planning on introducing significant design changes in the iPhone set to be released in 2017. Along with an edge-to-edge display that includes built-in Touch ID and other sensors, the device is said to include no Home button, advanced biometric features, an improved Taptic engine, and wireless charging.

Article Link: Apple Said to Debut Three Glass-Backed iPhone 8 Models, Including New 5-Inch Size, in 2017
I want 5" iPhone
[doublepost=1477675946][/doublepost]Apple should release 5" iPhone otherwise it's boring. I respect Apple and I expect from them a new screen size

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Ok I thought you were being literal. Because it's clear that Apple really agonises over 10ths of an inch to get what in their opinion is the best scale for a particular size, they showed this with the development of the iPad.

Please current sizes are enough, the resolutions are hard to adjust to native resolutions, most apps aren't lets not make it like android where appearance is gonna get degraded because of multiple screens.

Not extremely needed, but as a developer i want it to be clean. (OCD?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.