Apple screwed up on my refurb a good way

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by NusuniAdmin, Sep 5, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Apple screwed up and gave me a superdrive....but online the refurb only had a combo drive :D I got a free superdrive :D :D :D :D cool!

From system profiler:
    Manufacturer: MAT****A
    Model: MAT****A DVD-R UJ-825
    Revision: DAM5
    Serial Number:
    Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk1

and on apple refurb page:
    iBook G4 1.2GHz/256MB/60GB/Combo/AP Extreme Card/E/56K/14-inch TFT - Apple Certified

A bit curious but ah well. Even under the keyboard where it has system description it says combo drive.....hmm
  2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    You got lucky.
    I wonder how many times apple does this per refurb order.
  3. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004

lol, Apple screwed up my replacement powerbook order even more worst that yours (for them=bad, for me=good)

My old powerbook 12in was repaired too many times of the same problem, Apple offered to replace it and I wanted to upgrade to the 15in.
    They upgraded me to the 15" Superdrive w/ all maxed out, except I told them for 1 512MB stick.
    About 1 week later, I get the Powerbook, and Apple installed a 1 1GB Memory instead of the 512. It was strange, even on the box and bar code serials said a 1GB stick.
    It has been about 2 months since I received the computer and everything is great!
    Apple hasn't even charged my credit card yet for the "upgrade" from the 12in 867mhz Powerbook! <knock, knock>
  4. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    this does have me a little concerned ( litte)....then again since its a refurb it is VERY possible that the combo drive in it originally broke and they stuck in a superdrive by accident (or maybe they were out of combo at the time). Who knows?

BTW: I just relized you cant take screenshots with dvd player
  5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Yep, this is something apple has put in to prevent violations of copyrights.
  6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    i think apple sometimes does this type of thing with refurbs... i have heard alot of cases when the purchaser has being "upgraded in one way or another, either with a graphics card or superdrive and i have heard of a g5 single 1.8 actually turning up with dual 2ghz with gig of ram.... neadless to say he was STOKED....

bottom line... be grateful, you got a break
  7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I wish Apple would make some of those "mistakes" with my hardware :(
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    haha, yeah, when I bought my brand spankin' new 12" PB, one of the first things I did was check About This Mac to see if they accidentally put a Superdrive in there by accident. :D

They seem to make these "mistakes" for refurb products the most, while new purchases seem to come quite accurately. :eek:
  9. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    There have been lots of stories on here lately about about good mistakes on people's refurbs. I'm sure they will all be buying refurbs again when it is time for their next Mac. By the way, I love how the language filter dosn't like your brand of superdrive. :D
  10. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    as far as i know every single optical drive in apples ppc computers show up as matsh-ita
  11. arogge macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2002
    I had this problem when I needed to get a screenshot while DVD Player was running, but the movie was paused and the player was minimized. I opened Grab, but Apple's bug caused an error message:

"Screen grabs are unavailable during DVD playback. Please quit DVD Player first."

I clicked on the paused DVD Player in the Dock, closed it, and got back to Grab, but the thing I was trying to get a screenshot of was off the screen. :mad: Doesn't Apple realize that if I wanted to take a screenshot of a DVD movie, I would use software like DVD Capture? Apple should fix this problem with Grab. :(
  12. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Matshîta/Matsushîta (;)) is the brand of drive. It's the same company as Panasonic. Not all drives are this brand, for example my SuperDrive is made by Pioneer.
  13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Refurbs... I've heard apple does that every so often! Like they get a batch of computers in... they all vary a bit. But they just sell based on the least common denominator
  14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish

so which is better the matshutypoo or the pioneer
  15. numark macrumors member

Jul 24, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm guessing this "feature" was put into there to prevent copyright infringement. What with all of the furor over copyright nowadays, Apple or (quite possibly) the movie companies decided to gently encourage people not to take screenshots. Now whether this does anything in a practical sense is a completely different story...
  16. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    well here i am a few weeks after getting the ibook and still have not even thought about burning a Now I feel guilty about getting the superdriver for free.