Apple script

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pdham, Feb 20, 2003.

1. pdham macrumors member

I am still new to the mac world, about 2 weeks, and just discovered apple script. Do any of you use it frequently or actually create your own scripts? It sounds like it could be pretty powerful. Just curious. And by the way, my Powerbook is better then I could have imagined :)

Paul

TiBook 800

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

you probably use it every day without knowing.

3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Glad to hear you are impressed with your powerbook!

Applescript has been around a long time, and has always been a useful tool. It is extremely efficient at automating repetitive tasks that you do often. It also has developed into almost it's own style of programming.
    I suggest you buy a recent book on learning applescript and at least check out what it has to offer you individually. It is really easy to learn and begin making things for yourself. I have made basic things for myself with it without much hassle at all, and I have found numerous applescripts that have performed very needed taks for me.
    Very cool scripting language, and very well integrated into os x.
    Just for fun, go to /Applications/AppleScript/
    open up the Script Editor, and under the file menu select open dictionary. Check out all the things that applications offer applescript, and vice versa.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

the latest version of script editor is 2.0 i think and it's a cool toy.

5. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I think the coolest thing is to be able to grab example scripts from apple or useful scripts from other people and be able to edit them to suit my specific needs.