Apple security - silence then abuse

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 6, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. s10
    macrumors regular

funny

and sort of cuddly as well

3. macrumors G4

Mord

apple denies they are critical, and just patches the part which could be viewed as insecure on it's own, it's like saying a bank is insecure if their is a thin layer of paper between two massive 1' thick titainium vault doors sure the bank will fill that gap with titainium once they are alerted to it, but it was never a security thread.

every sposed threat has needed a strict set up which isolates the small flaw which would never occur in real life.

4. macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I agree. I'm a Mac fan till death but any one who thinks OS X is perfect and has no security issues is an idiot. Either the holes haven't been found yet or people are just utilizing the holes that are known. I agree that security will become a lot bigger issue in the next 12-18 months, with OS X. It's still a better, more secure OS than XP or Vista is.

5. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

so what, apple is only allowed to provide a patch for the most severe problems? they aren't allowed to patch something that isn't a big threat??

what a douche... :cool:

6. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Sure, let's take security advise from Microsoft. Everyone knows there are problems. Apple is much better keeping a lid on things than having everyone say "FIRST APPLE ACKNOWLEDGED EXPLOIT!"

7. macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Huh...

Well, I'd love to find an email address for this guy so I could offer him some more of what he'd likely find to be "abuse". In case he's reading, I'll post what my letter to him would be:

What do you think, will he read this?

8. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Any writer who starts an article with the ancient "Apple faithful" cliche deserves at least some of the abuse he gets. No customer of any company likes to be compared to a member of a religious cult. And besides, this whole idea so 1990s. Give us a break. Get some imagination, or a thesaurus, and give everybody a break.

To the substance, I don't understand his complaint. Both Apple and Microsoft don't like to talk any more than necessary about potential security issues until they're fixed, if for no other reason than it invites exploitation. The important issue is that they are fixed before they are exploited. On this front Apple has done a much better job than Microsoft. The proof of this should be obvious, even to someone who isn't a member of the "Apple faithful."

9. macrumors regular

10. Moderator emeritus

When has Microsoft been open and honest about security problems or anything else? Apple has been incredibly secretive at times but they also fix the problem. Microsoft often patches the problem by moving it somewhere else to be discovered later.

I wonder if the AirPort security update was concerned with this problem that didn't exist or whether it's concerning something else. Their silence is suspicious.

Still, if the people involved with finding the security problem can demonstrate it live on a machine that they've never seen, I'd certainly be more willing to believe that they weren't trying to gain attention for their company's business.

11. macrumors member

I personally would like to see a list of M$ security updates and patches compared to this list of Apple security updates and patches. Then we can talk about Apple having many issues.

He is right, Mac OS X will have problems, it's a computer program written by humans. It will have holes. But it currently requires far fewer updates than M$. If I remember correctly the security hole shown at Black Hat was a hole in the wireless card setup. But the fact is that they were using a 3rd party wireless card, not the Airport card built into the system. I belive that "vulerablity" in not Apple's fault, but rather a user who does not have the current drivers for their products.

I don't have a mac but really want one. And since I have spent my past months reading this website and several updates, and I could tell that he had done his research about these issues, but packaged them into the article to fit his view, not the facts.

I anticipate the day that I'll get my 17" MBP C2 in the mail. but until that day I'll continue to mop the drool off the floor around my current M$ computer every day.

-Corran Horn

12. macrumors 6502

Reporting on problems is ok, but guys like this aren't just reporting on problems. They're trying to make it look like the Mac's vulnerabilities are on a par with Windows vulnerabilities, and that just isn't justified by the facts.

13. macrumors 6502a

simX

Wow, great article submission Slashd^H^H^H^H^H^HMacBytes!

This guy is a jackass. No, seriously, he is. It's official. (And it's also official that he is still a jackass.)

Please stop posting lame links. This is what editors are for. Thanks very much CmdrT... damnit, did it again!

14. macrumors 603

solvs

Gotta love John Gruber. Plus he had a great article on how you can now zoom with the mouse's scroll button now with the Control key in 10.4.8. Which I did not know. Neat. That other guy is a jackass though. Bad enough he made a bunch of stuff up. Then blamed Artie MacStrawman. Then attached Jim Darymple's name to it (he writes for MacWorld). Then complains about a bunch of mean Apple zealots emailing him hate mail. K. The fact that he was completely wrong is lost on him apparently.

I wish I could get a job as a tech writer, but I actually know stuff. :rolleyes:

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

Agreed. But IS there anyone who thinks that? I've never met such a person, nor even seen so much as an anonymous forum post with that opinion :)

That mysterious race of leprechauns, who think OS X has ZERO security issues ever, may or may not exist. But the people battling the leprechauns are all over the place :D Leading some gullible PC users to think Mac users are actually that irrational. Some classic straw man action going on!

16. macrumors 603

solvs

Artie MacStrawman? ;)

17. Moderator emeritus

Leprechauns or Lemmings?

There was something on OSNews lately and I started to read the comments and there were both sides going at it. I just went back a page and looked at other articles.

18. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Although I'm basically a fan boy (Hey, why not) and have not had problems with my own products *touch wood* I can see why it would be annoying when you and 10 other people report a problem to Apple and they say they are 'looking into it'. I mean, remember the problems people had with the 1g Nano's and the braking screens, it took Apple agessssssss to see the problem fully and release a statement, etc, etc. A lot of us knew here, but what about Joe who goes to Comet and buys his and it breaks on him.

Oh well.

19. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think this describes him best.

20. macrumors G5

nagromme

Well, lemmings aren't even real. The last of them was chased over a cliff by Disney cameraman Arthur McStromman. It squeaked "oh no!" and exploded on impact.

21. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

McCarthy is an alias for Thurott

22. macrumors regular

I'm a self confessed Apple fan boy and I fully accept that there will be a security exploit in the wild on OS X. I will know about it before it hurts me because I keep a close eye on sites like MR.

Apple also appears to be improving in it's response to issues such as the speed with which iTunes 7 moved to 7.1.

This guy though is a classic example of someone who earns their living through computer security issues and seeing a threat on the distant horizon to that living attempts to protect their own existence by spreading their own virus.

We need to be concerned when that article is titled "Britney Spears naked" until then I think Mac momentum is well ahead of theirs.

23. Moderator emeritus

"...Leap-A will leave them shell-shocked."
    — Graham Cluley, Sophos

I remain unperturbed, Mr Graham Cluless.

24. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

25. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Kind of like how some security companies (and Adobe, but that's a different issue) are suing Microsoft in Europe for them making Vista more secure (well, supposedly anyway).