Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I thought Apple was going to start releasing software when it was ready rather than based on a strict schedule.

If the extra care going into 10.8.3 is indicative of things to come, I think it's a good sign.

OSX 10.9 and iOS 7 may not arrive like clockwork this summer, but when they do come, here's hoping that they are innovative and rock-solid.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Are they trying to set a world record for shortest distance between operating system releases? I don't mind waiting longer if the results are more profound.

Apple officially announced they were switching over to an annual OS X release two years ago. Lion was the first. Mountain Lion came out almost the year after and 10.9 will be released this summer/fall.

I thought Apple was going to start releasing software when it was ready rather than based on a strict schedule.

Since when? Apple switched to annual releases a few years ago, they never announced that they're done with it.

My guess is that they're waiting for 10.8.3 to release, wait another week and then release the OS X 10.9 details on the website with a beta ready to go and a timeframe of Summer/Late for 10.9 final release.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Apple officially announced they were switching over to an annual OS X release two years ago. Lion was the first. Mountain Lion came out almost the year after and 10.9 will be released this summer/

Ahh, the more you know... :)

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I'm still having tons of issues with OS X 10.8.2 on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro, Apple! It feels like I've been running Windows for the past couple months with all the bugs (especially involving Wi-fi) and freezes. You need to release 10.8.3 now!

It's great that you are finally worrying about the quality of the software (you certainly didn't care about quality during the Lion disaster). If there are still problems, fix them with 10.8.4 but the retina users need something right now.

And if you could fix how non-retina apps are displayed that would be wonderful (they look worse than on a screen with half the resolution)

Lastly, release Logic Pro X! Thank you.

Sincerely,
A victim of Tim Cook's "Post-PC" world

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
As with the previous 15 betas..........this runs without issue. Haven't had any issues or problems with any of these betas.....then again, didn't know have any issues with the commercial release.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
But seriously, this better be a good update. Cause they've been working on this one since November. 10.7.3 never took this long and it was a update that was in the works for a while. But I guess after we see 10.8.3 in the coming weeks it will mean the start of development for OS X 10.9

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Whatever it is, when 10.8.3 comes out, I will be waiting for all of you to beta test it.I'm still on 10.7.5 and things are sooth sailing. Very grateful to all the fast-adopters who help make OS smooth so that I can jump on with no dramas later in the piece. Sincerely. :)

I am quite dubious that such a large update as 10.8.3 will be trouble free. What it fixes which break other things. I've found that OSX usually doesn't become smooth as butter until .6, or recently .5 in Lion.

From Tiger, Leopard and SL, .3 was always still a bit buggy.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
10.8.3 is without question awesome. Very very solid. The biggest issues with ML are mostly related to ivy bridge based macs and rMBP specifically. And it's mostly about drivers. Tons of other fixes in tow as well, but the new rigs and drivers have been a big problem. I ran ML through first beta on 2011 Air without major problems. My 2012 Air had quite a few problems. Especially with usb3. And now my rMBP also has had a lot of problems. All seemingly driver related. I can definitely tell you that as far as what I have experienced, 10.8.3 is a god send for any ivy bridge based Mac user and for rMBP folks. Things are quite close to perfect now. And just in time for me to F everything up with the first 10.9 beta. Lol

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
But seriously, this better be a good update. Cause they've been working on this one since November. 10.7.3 never took this long and it was a update that was in the works for a while. But I guess after we see 10.8.3 in the coming weeks it will mean the start of development for OS X 10.9

Shorter than that, I'm willing to bet they lost a lot of productivity due to the holidays. They probably started working seriously since Jan.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Shorter than that, I'm willing to bet they lost a lot of productivity due to the holidays. They probably started working seriously since Jan.

I love how people think they know and guess on what the hell apple is doing when... none of you knows ****! they probably have a schedule to aim for, but if things shift they shift and you can't predict half of it.

Maybe we can start creating posts about the experience that is the new beta build?? have you installed and are you testing build 12D76 ?? if not, stop posting!!! at least keep it to relevant questions about it.

And no its not a personal attack on "you", its in general. there is 76 posts or so before this and only very few has anything to do with this beta build.

I will be installing the beta when I get home from work and hope to see yet another tiny increase in the version no of the Nvidia drivers (not sure if that version no makes a difference though).

Edit: And before some people go *******, no its not because I want to be angry here, I just think these blog posts and comments could be used a lot better and be very beneficial information if they aren't filled up with spam instantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.