Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeherron

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
GA
I hope this fixes the issue where the email log files are in the 4-24GB range if you leave mail open. I was also having an issues where safari would auto correct along the way and then revert all of the corrections if I used backspace at any time.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Unlikely. A security patch would probably have been released as beta 4 2.0.
No, that isn't how Apple labels their betas. Security updates get rolled into betas as they progress.

Last edited:

sss4r

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
No, that isn't how Apple labels their betas. Security updates get rolled into betas as they progress.

I thought betas and GMs are versioned? There was a Yosemite GM 1.0 and 2.0, and there have been 2.0 versions of beta releases, I think? In App Store, each beta used to be labeled 1.0. However, looking at the beta 5, it reads, "Version 5.0" whereas previously betas were labeled 1.0, so maybe I formed a mistaken impression based on that.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks, I used your link to the direct download. I'm a registered developer, but it was not showing up in my App Store updates, and the link on the Apple Developer site was for a code I already redeemed. The link worked great, and got it all installed. Thanks!

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
1. Headers are not truncated in Activity Monitor
2. Font book no longer crashes
3. Finder's sidebar width is now retained properly each time.
4. Lookup three-finger tap is working in Safari

Overall, a much better update than the last one.
thank you apple gods, the lookup bug was killing me

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It fixed two nagging problems for me.

1. Launch Service file type database corruption (e.g., Preview and Mail not opening images, Photos not playing videos).

2. Copy paste not working consistently in certain applications.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Maybe it's in my head, I play Dota 2. It seems far more playable then it used to be on my integrated graphics MacBook Pro. It was a fairly unscientific test...

Well, yes and no. Other system components using Metal means that more resources are freed up for applications to use, which is likely where you're feeling a performance improvement, even if those apps don't use metal.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The graphics underpinnings are being moved from OpenGL to Metal with a fallback on platforms that don't have the hardware to support it it.

So it's entirely possible for games to feel faster.

Your source on this? AFAIK, OpenGL and Metal are completely independent frameworks at this point. Also, OpenGL is more full-featured than Metal, so implementing it on top of Metal right now is it not feasible.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
That and Blizzard is fully backing Metal and a couple other studios. I imagine many others will follow suit eventually as well (if they do make Mac clients for their games.)

Actually.... Blizzard is backing Vulkan... and I highly suspect that Metal is built on much of Vulkan.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
you mean drop what they started a year before Vulkan was even an idea to satisfy the other half who put the idea together as a oh sh** we need a response to Metal? Apple are leaders, not followers.

No... because the gaming industry is looking for standard API's. It makes it immensely easier to use the same API for every platform. By Apple creating their own graphics API they've just guaranteed that less game developers will jump on their platform... because every different API requires programmers who know that API. Which means it costs more money not only to implement, but also to support. And if you knew anything about Mantel (now becoming Vulkan), you'd understand just how silly your comment sounds.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually.... Blizzard is backing Vulkan... and I highly suspect that Metal is built on much of Vulkan.

Blizzards logo was among those displayed during the keynote when they talked about Metal. And on blizzard forums there has been blue posts (Blizzard employees) confirming they are bringing Metal to their games. The Mac client for all their games is separate from the PC. Built for Mac and not just a direct port. So yes they are also backing Metal and not just Vulcan.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Entities that are throwing their weight behind Vulkan: AMD, Nvidia, Sony (for PS4), Lucasfilm, Qualcomm, Samsung, Pixar, Epic Games, Steam, Apple, Unity, Continental, Oculus VR, Valve, Oxide, Intel, ARM, Vivante, Mobica, codeplay, Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Mediatek, Transgaming, Riot Games, and lots of other smaller entities. This isn't a fly-by-night API. This is meant to be a modern API to ultimately replace OpenGL... and it operates on existing hardware that can runOpenGL 2.1 or higher.

Reactions: Eichen

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
NOOOOOOOOO! They broke Illustrator again!

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 15.00.06.png

Reactions: R3k

phero

macrumors member
May 3, 2013
Entities that are throwing their weight behind Vulkan: AMD, Nvidia, Sony (for PS4), Lucasfilm, Qualcomm, Samsung, Pixar, Epic Games, Steam, Apple, Unity, Continental, Oculus VR, Valve, Oxide, Intel, ARM, Vivante, Mobica, codeplay, Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Mediatek, Transgaming, Riot Games, and lots of other smaller entities. This isn't a fly-by-night API. This is meant to be a modern API to ultimately replace OpenGL... and it operates on existing hardware that can runOpenGL 2.1 or higher.

Perhaps Blizzard (and others) will be supporting both Metal and Vulkan?

Reactions: Eichen

Kroo

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
This is needed tbh. OS X El Capitan beta 1 and 2 were great on my retina Mac: no graphical glitches, very fluid, and apart from small bugs, it was very stable. I immediately upgraded from Yosemite which I pretty much hated along its life cycle due to many persistent bugs (slow UI, Wi-Fi issues, etc).

With the introduction of beta 3, it felt like I was back on an early beta of Yosemite with more features. Dock glitching, screen flickering on boot, finder sidebar doesn't remember size or positioning, just a huge mess. Beta 4 fixed some bugs yet completed destroyed the frame buffer. I couldn't even look at images in preview in full screen without a dark big horizontal block showing up on the left side of the screen, every single time.

I don't even know whether Apple are actively testing what they put out, but these last two betas have been a huge regression. It's been so bad that if beta 2 had been the GM of El Capitan (hypothetically), it would be a fantastic release.

You do understand the meaning of "beta software" don't you? If not, you should read this.

Last paragraph: "Since beta software is a pre-release version of the final application, it may be unstable or lack features that will be be included in the final release. Therefore, beta software often comes with a disclaimer that testers should use the software at their own risk. If you choose to beta test a program, be aware that it may not function as expected."

Reactions: zxy

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
and I highly suspect that Metal is built on much of Vulkan.

No it doesn't. Please, have you even looked at the preliminary API specs? What we saw of Vulkan so far is essentially AMD's Mantle plus some bits of Metal concepts. But Metal is vastly different in the way resource are bound to shaders for instance.

No... because the gaming industry is looking for standard API's. It makes it immensely easier to use the same API for every platform. By Apple creating their own graphics API they've just guaranteed that less game developers will jump on their platform... because every different API requires programmers who know that API. Which means it costs more money not only to implement, but also to support.

I think your analysis is wrong. What the gaming industry is looking for is not standard APIs but reliable, easy to work with APIs that come with performance guarantees. Standardisation is only needed in the shading language, this is why I really hope that Apple will pick up SPIR-V. For a game developer, it is cheaper to implement three renderer backbones in three different APIs than to debug idiosyncratic behaviour in a single bloated API such as the modern OpenGL. Not to mention that most developers use ready-made engines so they don't even need to care which API is used. As to the 'programmers need to know the API'... once you understand how one graphical API works, it takes literally few hours to learn another one. Besides, modern graphical APIs are so straightforward (not to mention similar) that a developer who can't learn them is simply not competent enough to land a job. All these teams reporting that it took them a week to port their code to Vulkan/Metal are not exaggerating. Its really that easy. Again, the trickiest bit is the shading language.

Now, there are obvious benefits to having unified API for all the platforms. On the other side, Apple wanted some improvement now, they already had a very nice API (which is btw much programmer-friendly than Mantle/Vulkan) and the status of Vulkan is unclear at this point. It made sense for Apple to release their own API first. I can imagine that next year, when Vulkan API is finalised, Apple might extend Metal with Mantle-like descriptor sets and then implement Vulkan as a wrapper around Metal. It would probably make the most sense in the long run.

And if you knew anything about Mantel (now becoming Vulkan), you'd understand just how silly your comment sounds.

I really wonder how much you know based on what you write :p

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Hopefully they release a fifth iOS beta today. The last one is much faster but also more unstable. The apps crashes like crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.