Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
I literally switched back to Windows 10 because the size and frequency of these OSX updates indicate to me that something is seriously wrong and they are trying very hard to fix it. Meanwhile my Windows 10 updates are very small, and infrequent.

As I use both Win 10 & OS X, I'd say you're either joking or you're switching from the frying pan to the fire. Mandated updates from MSFT that bork your system isn't the way to go my friend.

Reactions: navaira

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada
I literally switched back to Windows 10 because the size and frequency of these OSX updates indicate to me that something is seriously wrong and they are trying very hard to fix it. Meanwhile my Windows 10 updates are very small, and infrequent.

Ok, even I have to call BS on that one. Version 1511 just came out last patch Tuesday and was basically a rewrite of the entire OS - what probably should have been what was released on day one.

Reactions: bbfc and navaira

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
As I use both Win 10 & OS X, I'd say you're either joking or you're switching from the frying pan to the fire. Mandated updates from MSFT that bork your system isn't the way to go my friend.

I agree that the consumer version sucks, that's why I'm using the version that allows me freedom of choice when it comes to updates. (Win 10 Enterprise LTSB)

4YAwe65.png

lkLbkkI.png

And just for fun I updated to 10.11.4 and now I'm getting hard lock ups, requiring reboot, fun. Also 'brew' stopped working.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I agree that the consumer version sucks, that's why I'm using the version that allows me freedom of choice when it comes to updates. (Win 10 Enterprise LTSB)

4YAwe65.png

lkLbkkI.png

And just for fun I updated to 10.11.4 and now I'm getting hard lock ups, requiring reboot, fun. Also 'brew' stopped working.
What did you expect when installing the first beta of an OS update?

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I expected the continued refinement of a mature product. Funny, I know.

A beta not for public use mature?

Are you seriously expecting a beta or an update to a version which in itself is in beta (10.11.4 to 10.11.3) to be a "refinement" over a stable/released version?
Do you know what the purpose of beta testing is?

Reactions: macintoshmac

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
A beta not for public use mature?

Are you seriously expecting a beta or an update to a version which in itself is in beta (10.11.4 to 10.11.3) to be a "refinement" over a stable/released version?
Do you know what the purpose of beta testing is?

A beta which is supposed to only introduce bug fixes to a release that has been touted as "stability release" (even though we know that introducing a brand new graphics layer like "Metal" introduces a whole set of potential cluster****s - but never mind.)? Hell, yes, sure we do expect stability! I mean, it's not like Apple is rewriting the whole network or USB stack in a x.x.point release, do they? DO THEY? :eek:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Comparing a DEVELOPER beta with a "mature" system.
Switching off updates for Windows, then praising it for not having many updates unlike that pesky OS X with its developer betas.

I am expecting lots of quality posts from you, felt.

@till213 has a point though. Apparently we're getting bug fixes for bug fixes for a bug fixing release.

Reactions: macintoshmac

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
Those are automatic updates that are disabled, it was in response to "THOSE PESKY FORCED UPDATES BY MS" I can, and do still 'check for updates'

I would be fine if they were testing new features, but the changelog is quite literally blank/empty. This should be of great assistance to the developers that should be testing these unmentioned features/fixes, but who refuse to participate in this program due to the mess it's become.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I guess El Capitan will be the first OS in years to go beyond the .5 mark. If that means stability will be up on par with 10.5 and 10.6 releases, then this would be quite astonishing for Apple in 2016.

That is possible but I believe it only when I see it. Stability is one very important thing, I haven't forgiven apple for removing features without warning (Disk Utility, System Preferences, etc.). 10.11 has potential but it will fulfil only if Apple finally listens to its customers and stops breaking things that don't need fixing.

DISK UTILITY

APPLE, PLEASE

I start to wonder if Apple cares about this. I hope I am wrong but situation doesn't look good...

Maybe Apple is afraid of making a new OS that is as fast and stable as Snow Leopard, because they know a looot of people won't upgrade until they release a new stable one again in 5+ years. :p

I suspect the same thing, Apple clearly wants everyone to upgrade to latest OS but El Capitan isn't impressing me at the moment. Too many issues to work around thanks to bugs in Spotlight, Finder, Disk Utility, Preview, etc.

10.6.8 is still the gold standard for Mac OS stability and refinement. :cool: Of course it didn't hurt that Snow Leopard was touted from the very beginning as "no new features, just improving on what is already there". And that is almost exactly what they did. :apple:

I really miss that mindset.:(

Me too. Maybe someday that mindset returns to Apple but currently I'm not seeing any signs of it.

To add insult to injury Apple has discontinued support for some older Macs that are supposedly supported machines under El Capitan. That is just blatantly dishonest if not illegal. How can you release a new operating system certified for a machine and than discontinue the support after distributing it and removing any ability to downgrade? BOO Apple!

I'm curious what models do you mean? I haven't seen such issues but given the Apples desire to sell new Macs it wouldn't be impossible.

For those of you complaining about the update frequency and multiple versions, you clearly have no insight on software development.

Apple is most likely making use of an Agile approach, which focuses on getting the base product out and developing on it as time goes on. It's a way to mitigate feature bloats and to best used in an environment with fast turnarounds. It's pretty much industry standard now.

We didn't see this years ago as internet connections were 100x slower. Software is no longer cut off from the world. It's the same reason you get large day 0 updates in video games.

It's not uncommon for multiple betas to be out at the same time with an software provider. The betas focus on different area and stem from different feature branches in their version control.

This may well be true but it essentially means it's a very bad idea to install new OS until several updates have been released. While the same principle was mostly true in previous OS versions the sadly lacking instructions from Apple regarding install isn't helpful, for some reason they don't bother to mention backup in their instructions! :mad:

I am not a programmer so I cant say if issuing frequent updates is a smart idea or not. Personally I prefer OS that is released only when all major bugs have been squashed and which is supported longer than 1 year. Current release schedule isn't helpful when one values stability over new features...

Reactions: navaira

vdgroodt

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
Belgium
Can anyone let me know if this fixes the address bar in safari? I type in things to search currently and it takes forever before it begins to search.

I always want to look up something with the address bar, and when the site is loaded while typing it deletes everything that i just typed in the address bar ... Ending in just googling it

ChuckBlack

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
I had this same problem with the LG 34" Ultra Wide monitor and a MB Pro Retina (early 2013 and mid 2015), connected an external keyboard to the monitor and the same issue with the bluetooth external keyboard.

With connecting the keyboard directly to the computer, the external monitor wakes up correctly without dyiskjockeying the monitor cable to different ports.

It's working great since 10.11.1

For me it's simply turning off the monitor when I'm away from my Mac. That's all that's off, no sleep function enabled. I return, hit the power button on the monitor and it won't turn on. It acts as if it's connected to a mac that isn't powered on at all, but is.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Yes, this. ALL DAY LONG! I'm wearing out my ports plugging in the damn thunderbolt cable into different ports until it wakes up. Most of the time that works, sometimes I have to do a hard reboot ffs.

I've been shutting down my Mac Pro every night :(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You still can't. You could however run a verify on the volume while it was booted.

The difference is, the "verify" and "repair" functions got merged into one button in the new version.

If disk utility finds a problem while doing the live scan, it will tell you to reboot to recovery to fix it, same as before.

Oh, I see, I am pretty sure I saw repair when I tested my boot disk, might have been dreaming I guess.

Cheers

crescentmoon52

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Snow Leopard and Mavericks have been the best releases. Hopefully Apple can do it again with El Capitan.

I'm staying with Mavericks as longs as I can.... There is no real justification to upgrade if there is no improvement under the hood... Apple is making beta testers out of everyone for the sake of new OS each year. I would like stability and speed over new widgets....

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

4YAwe65.png

lkLbkkI.png

Same here. Constant lock ups requiring a restart. 10.10.3 was near enough perfect for me. This has ruined it all. And for what? No new features.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Wow, thanks for this post. I had no idea how Apple butchered Disk Utilty and your post prompted me to look into it and my God this is some kinda joke! How can they release this to production with no software RAID support! Is this prettified monstrosity the version you're presented with when booting into the repair mode after upgrading to El Capitan as well!? This is simply outrageous! Silently dropping software RAID support! Updating for ease of use is one thing but removing features too at the same time is criminal. I realize this is still in the command line and there are hacks to restore thr old Disk Utilty from Time Machine Backup but that's totally an unacceptable work around. If this is supposed to return (and it sure as heck should) and Disk Utilty wasn't finished why are they pushing a half assed update with those features removed on such a crucial piece of system software!

Here are a bunch of features removed and further on the lack of Software RAID support and what your software defined disks will look like:

http://www.macworld.com/article/298...tool-for-storage-devices-gets-a-facelift.html

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2015/20151008_0956-OSX_ElCapitan-DiskUtility.html

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2015/20151008_1222-SoftRAID-vs-DiskUtility.html

Thanks again for the heads up. I was going to wait for the next release to upgrade hopefully fixing issues but now I will hold off until full support and completion of features are returned. You probably saved me a LOT of hair pulling.

Apple get your crap together man what's wrong with your software devs this is a damn joke!

THANK YOU! Well said. The new Disk Utility has no utility. It's like a kid's toy. Apple's response to the question about disk permissions is that it's a feature, not the removal of a feature. Typical Steve Jobesque explanation. Apple claims El Capitan fixes all disk permissions by itself. Yeah right, like I believe that. Will the next version of Mac OS include a built in Tooth Fairy too? :)

Keeping your Mavericks or Yosemite Disk Utility is an absolute MUST! There should be a warning about this.

I'm staying with Mavericks as longs as I can.... There is no real justification to upgrade if there is no improvement under the hood... Apple is making beta testers out of everyone for the sake of new OS each year. I would like stability and speed over new widgets....

I still keep a copy of Leopard on a drive and Mavericks too, in case all else fails on another El Capitan update (I've done like 5 installs and every one corrupted my MAIL in some way.)

Most of the complaints I've had since Yosemite have still never been fully fixed.
And to add insult to injury, Apple is dropping support for originally supported Macs, so they're not even paying attention to any of my bug reports anymore. UGH! :-(

Last edited:

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Most of the complaints I've had since Yosemite have still never been fully fixed.
And to add insult to injury, Apple is dropping support for originally supported Macs, so they're not even paying attention to any of my bug reports anymore. UGH! :-(

Apple doesn't care about you. They care more about iOS. Everything desktop has gone downhill since the iPhone came out.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I am amazed to have received a response today from Apple on my beta bug report for when they were doing the 10.11.2 betas. A little late, but I never thought the bug reporter would get looked at. Guess it depends on what the bug is maybe. So the moral is do use the bug reporter. It actually is looked at albeit late....

xplora

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Wow, thanks for this post. I had no idea how Apple butchered Disk Utilty and your post prompted me to look into it and my God this is some kinda joke! How can they release this to production with no software RAID support! Is this prettified monstrosity the version you're presented with when booting into the repair mode after upgrading to El Capitan as well!? This is simply outrageous! Silently dropping software RAID support! Updating for ease of use is one thing but removing features too at the same time is criminal. I realize this is still in the command line and there are hacks to restore thr old Disk Utilty from Time Machine Backup but that's totally an unacceptable work around. If this is supposed to return (and it sure as heck should) and Disk Utilty wasn't finished why are they pushing a half assed update with those features removed on such a crucial piece of system software!

Here are a bunch of features removed and further on the lack of Software RAID support and what your software defined disks will look like:

http://www.macworld.com/article/298...tool-for-storage-devices-gets-a-facelift.html

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2015/20151008_0956-OSX_ElCapitan-DiskUtility.html

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2015/20151008_1222-SoftRAID-vs-DiskUtility.html

Thanks again for the heads up. I was going to wait for the next release to upgrade hopefully fixing issues but now I will hold off until full support and completion of features are returned. You probably saved me a LOT of hair pulling.

Apple get your crap together man what's wrong with your software devs this is a damn joke!
FYI. the diskutil command still supports AppleRAID. The features are only missing from the user friendly app.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
FYI. the diskutil command still supports AppleRAID. The features are only missing from the user friendly app.

You realize no regular user ever uses the command line right? I think everyone assumed UNIX still works! HAHA!

Next you'll tell me to go back to DOS? :)

I guess Apple servers are busy? I've not even been offered 10.11.4 yet! Or I'm last on the list since I file so many bug reports for them to ignore. :eek:

Reactions: adb1973

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
This version obsoletes version 1 signing for kernel extensions. Attempt to load kernel extension with version 1 signature fails with complaint about invalid signature. Since I have to use some 3rd party kext with only version 1 signature, I (unfortunately) had to disable kext signing ('csrutil enable --without kext' in recovery) to get things back to work for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.