Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
My question is why would someone truly have the need to pair more than 1 watch to an iphone? How many people really have more than 1 Apple Watch?

Because women have several colors of everything they own lol. I was going to get my wife a Rose Gold sport for Christmas in addition to the Space Gray she already has so she can wear it depending on her outfit/jewelry choice but it would be a nightmare syncing them back and forth.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
My question is why would someone truly have the need to pair more than 1 watch to an iphone? How many people really have more than 1 Apple Watch?

Not a watch person huh? If you were you wouldn't question this for a minute. A move like this will actually drive sales among such affluent people as well. This was probably at the top of Jony Ives list to begin with.

And it's not just to coordinate your watches to your outfits, which is actually huge deal for some people. How about your day watch, and night watch that you use for sleep monitoring? One charges while you sleep, the other charges while you're awake. Or the watch you wear to the gym -- come home form work, switch watches, shower in it, go out to dinner, sleep in it, shower in it again, swap when getting dressed for a fully charged unblemished work watch.

Or how about wanting to wear your Watch Hermes -- with the exclusive Hermes watch face, and then switch to an aluminum Sport with the Mickey Mouse face to go to the beach. Or ditch the gold Edition watch when you are wearing silver accessories with an outfit, or alternate with the Rose gold Edition. Or alternate the gold Sport with the Rose Gold. Or the Space Black, or Space Gray with the silver and gold watches ... and on and on ...

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I would like it to be able to pair with my iPad, at least for internet.

Sometimes at home I'm out of range of my phone but right next to my iPad, and the watch shows as disconnected with only minimal functionality available. It's annoying anyway, but especially so when I'm sitting right next to my other iOS device.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I would like it to be able to pair with my iPad, at least for internet.

Sometimes at home I'm out of range of my phone but right next to my iPad, and the watch shows as disconnected with only minimal functionality available. It's annoying anyway, but especially so when I'm sitting right next to my other iOS device.

I'm actually surprised they haven't offered this. There are many people who don't have an iPhone who have an iPad and a Mac. Considering the bargain basement discounts being offered on the watch, I'd think they would want as many potential customers as possible to buy the watch. However, I think the biggest obstacle is that the watch really doesn't operate autonomously very well yet.

But consider if you will that I use mine almost exclusively without the phone. I wear it surfing, so it's always charged when I need it, I can use it to buy food with Pay after surfing, the coffee house has wifi which allows me to get my messages, e-mail and voicemail, and soon when ATT turns it on, I will be able to make phone calls from it via wifi. And I'm looking at compatible house locks, and seriously considering my next car purchase based on compatibility with the watch, which will solve a number of other problems related to surfing.

I feel as though once the wifi infrastructure is in place, and the watch has GPS for maps, then Apple will feel safer expanding the devices which can interface with it, as the watch will be infinitely more useful when away from home or the office.

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
After updating my iPhone to iOS 9.3 I cannot see an update to watch OS 2.2. How to force it?

DMR2016

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
I think the main point would be for a family or business use. Maybe a kid or wants an Apple Watch but the parents don't necessarily want them having an iPhone. Maybe a husband and wife/couple where only one of them has an iPhone but both want the watch. Or I could even see it implemented in business use. Even for health and fitness in sports or gyms for personal training. Have one phone and have all running stats or workout stats all synced to one device. Especially as not all features require the watch and settings/Notifications can be fine tuned to mirror or not mirror the iPhone. There is a lot of practical use for multiple watches on a device.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

Developers. They need to be able to easily test on both screen sizes and when there are future models.

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
I can't get it installed. I updated my iPhone and then applied the beta profile on the watch.

It doenlod 2.2 beta 1 however when it goes to verify I keep getting and error message

"Unable to Verify Update

The watchOS update couldn't be verified because you are not connected to the Internet.

I am connected to the internet, all web browsing and other internet apps work on the phone and the watch.

Any ideas?

Lost Hills

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
I can't get it installed. I updated my iPhone and then applied the beta profile on the watch.

It doenlod 2.2 beta 1 however when it goes to verify I keep getting and error message

"Unable to Verify Update

The watchOS update couldn't be verified because you are not connected to the Internet.

I am connected to the internet, all web browsing and other internet apps work on the phone and the watch.

Any ideas?
I'm getting the same message too.
[doublepost=1452563208][/doublepost]Looking at the Dev forums on Apple a lot are getting this message. A few have reported up-pairing the watch and then re-pairing it made it work for them

Reactions: jocamero

pdetti

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
Are they ever going to address the way it calculate calories burned? My wife says it is way off to any other device she has used, and can't really rely on it for workouts. I have researched online and found many complaints... Any thoughts?

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
maybe the second watch for pairing isn't a watch, but a sports band that you can wear when you workout. Nike pulled out of the sports band market back in '14 and could potentially be working on a project with Apple. Shot in the dark, but I hate when I don't get workout credit when I can't wear my watch to play basketball or any other contact sport. This would complete the circle(s) so to speak. Also would prob knock Under Armor on its ass with their new "Healthbox" campaign.

http://www.cnet.com/news/is-nike-fuelband-out-of-gas-already/

I wear my Apple Watch every day to play basketball. Start it other fitness mode and cover it with a good sweatband.

Lost Hills

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
[doublepost=1452563208][/doublepost]Looking at the Dev forums on Apple a lot are getting this message. A few have reported up-pairing the watch and then re-pairing it made it work for them
Following that advice, it solved the issue for me. Time consuming however.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Yeah - anyone notice anything whatsoever? I obviously only have 1 Apple Watch so looking for anything else that might be worth the update.

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks. It works right now

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe they're a developer, and need to test on both physical sizes (with different screen resolutions) of Apple Watch? Just saying...

happosai

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Ah, excellent. One for the day watch, one for the night watch. :p

^^ Now I have a reason to buy 10 watches... :p

^^ Maybe the Apple Watch2 is coming up. So you will have a reason to buy a second watch. While retaining the original 1st gen Apple watch.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
this isn't such a huge issue for now but i suppose if we ever got to a point where there are totally different style options (wrist band vs dress watch vs sport watch), it'd be nice to have.

seems like a niche issue at this point.

for those of you saying it's for when the 2nd gen apple watch comes out, it's likely that the second will be better than the first gen in every imaginable way (battery life, speed of apps, possibly new sensors, screen resolution, thinness, etc) so why would you keep wearing your gen 1?

Johnno87

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
I guessed this was coming with a new watch on the way. This tells me I will look at the stainless watch next go around with a metal band and keep my sport watch for running and cycling activities. It does well enough with those things that I can have two watches. No big return to be had on a version 1 watch anyhow once the new version arrives.

Lets hope the activity info sync is flawless with 2 apple watches

Reactions: gsmornot

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Are they ever going to address the way it calculate calories burned? My wife says it is way off to any other device she has used, and can't really rely on it for workouts. I have researched online and found many complaints... Any thoughts?

Calorie counters in general are approximations unless there is a detailed analysis of your metabolism in a lab. Body composition makes a huge difference in how calories are spent. I spend 2500 calories a day doing light exercise because I have a big lean to fat ratio and I'm tall. All calorie counters I know don't that those factors into account. If you're muscle mass is lower than average, or your frame is smaller, you'll get results that are off too.

But, it doesn't matter in the end as long as they're wrong in a systematic and constant way, say always 20% off one way for you. You then just need to find out the off factor.

The only way to really know if it's wrong is to count you calorie intake and substract what whatever calorie counter says as calorie expended and look at you're average weight over a few weeks (weight varies because of water intake, so taking it one time is no good for this purpose).

I wish there was calorie counter that takes into account frame, age, lean mass, fat mass, sex, acceleration/deceleration and speed (at all time) and muscle used to move; that would give you a fantastically precise calorie count; otherwise it just gives you a trend.

Reactions: SHNXX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.