Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of WatchOS 2.2 to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 22, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 2.2 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the third watchOS 2.2 beta and more than two months after releasing watchOS 2.1, the first major update to the watchOS 2 operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 2.2 has been in testing since January 11.

The fourth watchOS 2.2 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on an iPhone running the iOS 9.3 beta by going to General --> Software update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the Apple Watch charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 2.2, along with iOS 9.3, introduces support for pairing multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone. Both updates are required, with each watch running watchOS 2.2 and each iPhone running iOS 9.3. watchOS 2.2 also includes a revamped look for the built-in Maps app on the Apple Watch with access to the Nearby feature first introduced with iOS 9 and new buttons for quickly accessing directions to home and work.

There were no other obvious outward-facing changes introduced in the first three watchOS 2.2 betas aside from the changes to the Maps app, but the update undoubtedly includes under-the-hood performance updates and bug fixes to address issues that have been discovered since the release of watchOS 2.1. WatchOS 2.2 is expected to debut in the spring, perhaps at Apple's rumored March event.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of WatchOS 2.2 to Developers

2. TouchMint.com
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

3. Enygmatic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Enygmatic

How much do you run apps on yours? I use mine all day - albeit mostly as a timepiece and weather checker - checking notifications, and go to bed with over 65-70% nightly. Even started using HeartWatch overnight for 7-8hrs and still wake up toabout 60%. Charges back to 100% in about 25 min. Definitely a huge improvements over one of the earlier watchOS builds, I forget which one

4. maccswe
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Apple stop this madness and give me some new watch faces already!

5. OSpazX
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

And let me update without the charger! Watch has been on my wrist for 7 hours... battery is at 90%..... come on... let me update!

6. bse3
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I may have been trolled, but I heard the watch takes HR readings every five minutes on 2.2 beta. Can anyone confirm?

7. hovscorpion12
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I think it's because of the small battery inside that Apple know's it will drain to 0% quick.

8. simbo123
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Yep Im finding this. Along as it continues its very good news for me. Makes graphs in Heart Analyzer look dead accurate

9. Aston441
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Does this update finally activate the cellular radio?

10. OSpazX
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

It does..... and it also converts your car to a hybrid

11. chucker23n1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

chucker23n1

No, but on April 1st, it will activate both 30-day battery life and a full OS X Desktop UI.

12. frumpy16
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

I want the opposite pairing option. I have both a personal and work iPhone. I can't be the only one. I want to pair both to my watch. Why not?

13. playaproved
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

This functionality would be great. The only concern is maybe since the watch can only handle two Bluetooth connections at once, you wouldn't be able to pair headphones and two phones at once.

Wouldn't be a problem for me, as I use a phone for music unless I'm exercising, but Apple probably feels it would be too confusing for people.

14. ekwipt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Mine changes through out the week with different use and I'm definitely not on all day, i've turned off most notifications and sometimes still get down to 10% or have to switch the watch off

15. Keirasplace
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

There must be something that uses A LOT of power to get to that. Running for hours? Listening to music for hours? Using non native apps for hours? What?
    Your experience is way different than anyone I know with the watch; it's not even close.
    If you have the 42mm it makes even less sense.

16. ekwipt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

yes i have the 42mm, i'm not using native only apps (what would be the point of that), it would be great if there were a breakdown of apps and what uses the battery/drains the battery. today its 4:52PM and i'm on 65% so go figure

17. kaiseryeahhh
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

kaiseryeahhh

The speed open apps it's very slow, in 2.1 and in this beta.

18. CooKieMoNs7eR
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Why are they not giving us more watch faces? I'm already bored of every watch face with every color combination

19. rmadera, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

rmadera
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

They might just put the new faces in the final build and wait for the March event to unveil them, along with the official release of 2.2 and the new Watch bands. Just a thought ;)

20. franciscosjb
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

franciscosjb

Im not happy with my apple watch, been hoping for continuously updates, watch faces and more reasons to think that I did not purchase this merely for exercise, feels old now, im not impressed with the updates so far.

We need more functions, they probably will add more on a new apple watch, which im not gonna buy.... after almost a year with my watch, I can say it's definitely NOT worth it.

21. ekwipt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I agree, i t would have to come up with some pretty new and far out features, personally i'd wait until wifi and cheap 4G plan (some how, doubt it especially in Australia)

22. JoshuaPlays
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Agreed... The newer band colors weren't added to watchOS 2 beta until the after the September keynote with the GM.